Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff Youngsters

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:57 am

Like so many Cardiff fans I wanted to see the youngsters given the chance, But now I feel that to many are being thrown in all at once, One or two at a time let them get used to first team football, Playing in a poor team who keep loosing is not helping their confidence. To many players have Bern allowed to leave most to save money and has left a depleted squad. I'm not defending MM he has been very stubourn in his approach but in fairness what can he do with a team of senior players unable to play football as it should be played.These players are not helping the talented youngsters move forward.We are in a mess that needs sorting out before it's to late and we end up being relagated. It won't matter who is brought in as Manager if he hasent the players what can he do? There are so many out of contract player out there who could help with their experience steady the ship. Even if brought in on short contracts on a reasonable salary rather than be out of work.There is still time to slowly change the system bring in some of these out of contract players to help NOW before it is to late.

Re: Cardiff Youngsters

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:08 am

Some believe our youth are good enough to keep us up.

I hope they are right.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:18 am

I agree we have some very good talented youngsters but they need good experienced players around them to help, This they do not have, I'd love to think the youngsters could keep us up but is it really fair to rely on them if we go down what would it do to their confidence going forward.? They need help and NOW.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:28 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Some believe our youth are good enough to keep us up.

I hope they are right.

No chance Ian,

Their are no more than 3 Quality players amongst about 10.

To produce 3 is brilliant :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tan has demanded that they all get in to the squad as it’s not about quality it’s about how cheap they are.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:25 pm

Colwill has done well but needs a run of games in an advanced position. Hopefully we see that now.

Really like the look of Evans. Very technically gifted and players like that are hard to find.

Bowen has been good, an improvement on Pack and Vaulks. We miss Ralls’ energy in the middle when he isn’t playing.

Jury is still out on Bagan, too many costly mistakes but I wonder if most of them have been down to having Nelson beside him.

I’d like to see Zimba and Patten given a chance. Not seen a lot of Zimba but from what I have seen I hope he can make a similar impact that Jerome did under Lennie.
Last edited by GaerBlue on Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:26 pm

MikeP wrote:Like so many Cardiff fans I wanted to see the youngsters given the chance, But now I feel that to many are being thrown in all at once, One or two at a time let them get used to first team football, Playing in a poor team who keep loosing is not helping their confidence. To many players have Bern allowed to leave most to save money and has left a depleted squad. I'm not defending MM he has been very stubourn in his approach but in fairness what can he do with a team of senior players unable to play football as it should be played.These players are not helping the talented youngsters move forward.We are in a mess that needs sorting out before it's to late and we end up being relagated. It won't matter who is brought in as Manager if he hasent the players what can he do? There are so many out of contract player out there who could help with their experience steady the ship. Even if brought in on short contracts on a reasonable salary rather than be out of work.There is still time to slowly change the system bring in some of these out of contract players to help NOW before it is to late.

Last season Mick showed no interest in playing players like Junior or even trying to get Tomlin onside; he brought Jonny Williams in but never played him.- why would the club give him/them a contract if he isn’t going to get played. Mick let Sol go, let Murphy go and let Winkle go after bringing him in this summer.

This season has shown that further - he didn’t have to continually pick 5 CBs (especially with left/right backs on the bench). I’d have more sympathy with the weak squad argument if Mick actually set the team up properly.

I said in another post yesterday - the failing of the board here is 1. Giving him the job in the first place and 2. Not questioning why he was happy to offload so many attacking players when we were already losing Ojo and Wilson.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:32 pm

I hope they are right.

I think a decent manager would bringing them in and out of the team steadily, not all in one go out of desperation. They need to be given a chance and helped through the transition.

It was blatantly obvious well before last night's game that McGuinness is good enough and exactly what we needed at centre back. Yet McCarthy exposes him to criticism by playing him out of position at full back for a number of the previous games :banghead:

Of the youngsters we have in the first team squad I think McGuinness and Colwill are good enough. The jury is out on Bowen and Evans as I haven't seen enough of them but Bagan has a lot of improving to do.

That said I think there are two more who have every chance of making it who haven't really figured yet. Patten and Zimba look well able to take the step up and if they do then that's a pretty outstanding achievement for the academy/U23s.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 pm

Gk- Smithies Phillips
RB- Ng Sang
LB- Bagan Brown
CB- McGuinness Nelson
CB- Flint Morrison
CM- Pack Ralls
CM- Vaulks Bacuna
AM- Giles Harris
CF- Moore Collins

We are supplementing the above with Colwill, Bowen and now Evans. One of them is a Welsh international the other two have shown glimpses of being good players.

We are hardly over reliant on youth players.

Granted it’s a squad lacking the quality we are used to and lacking wingers too. But to say it’s reliant on youth is not right. We also have two wingers out on loan. Both would be in our team.

A lot of those players have been involved when we were at the top end of the table. Sadly the manager we currently have is not getting the most out of those players.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:12 am

by maccydee » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 pm

Gk- Smithies Phillips
RB- Ng Sang
LB- Bagan Brown
CB- McGuinness Nelson
CB- Flint Morrison
CM- Pack Ralls
CM- Vaulks Bacuna
AM- Giles Harris
CF- Moore Collins

We are supplementing the above with Colwill, Bowen and now Evans. One of them is a Welsh international the other two have shown glimpses of being good players.

Granted it’s a squad lacking the quality we are used to and lacking wingers too. But to say it’s reliant on youth is not right. We also have two wingers out on loan. Both would be in our team.

A lot of those players have been involved when we were at the top end of the table. Sadly the manager we currently have is not getting the most out of those players.

One of the main problems with the team at the moment is the lack of creativity and control in midfield or the wing and we have no really experienced players in those roles. It is consequently putting a heck of a lot of pressure on the youngsters who do come in there.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:37 am

maccydee wrote:Gk- Smithies Phillips
RB- Ng Sang
LB- Bagan Brown
CB- McGuinness Nelson
CB- Flint Morrison
CM- Pack Ralls
CM- Vaulks Bacuna
AM- Giles Harris
CF- Moore Collins

Some good points in there, Neil... :thumbup:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:47 am

Forever Blue wrote:

I hope they are right.

No chance Ian,

Tan has demanded that they all get in to the squad as it’s not about quality it’s about how cheap they are.

Three is brilliant, but I actually think there could be a couple more. :thumbup:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:48 am

moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I hope they are right.

No chance Ian,

Three is brilliant, but I actually think there could be a couple more. :thumbup:

I would love their to be, we will certainly see over the next year or so :thumbright: :bluebird:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I hope they are right.

No chance Ian,

I would love their to be, we will certainly see over the next year or so :thumbright: :bluebird:

It's an excellent crop, that's for sure, and credit to the Club. I really enjoy watching them. They perform well together as they have developed a lovely style of play and certainly know how to find each other and bring the best out of each other. To drop them individually into the first team, with a different style of play and tougher opposition is a big ask. I'd like to see a bunch of our young midfielders put in together. True it's a big gamble, but we're close to the stage where we need to be radical. I'd like to see us try Bowen, Evans, Patten in midfield with Colwill and Giles as our wide players. Those young guys are confident on the ball and would create some chances for Moore.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:51 pm

by moonboots » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Some believe our youth are good enough to keep us up.

I hope they are right.

No chance Ian,

It's an excellent crop, that's for sure, and credit to the Club. I really enjoy watching them. They perform well together as they have developed a lovely style of play and certainly know how to find each other and bring the best out of each other. To drop them individually into the first team, with a different style of play and tougher opposition is a big ask. I'd like to see a bunch of our young midfielders put in together. True it's a big gamble, but we're close to the stage where we need to be radical. I'd like to see us try Bowen, Evans, Patten in midfield with Colwill and Giles as our wide players. Those young guys are confident on the ball and would create some chances for Moore.
moonboots

It's the sort of thing Mick should be testing out on the training pitch to see how they perform as a unit.

We certainly need more players in the middle of the pitch that are comfortable on the ball and can create chances and must be a better option than 5 center-backs or Bacuna playing out of position.