Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

(Will) Vaulks

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:43 pm

I am struggling to think of anyone who’s played for so often for us at this level whom is as such a poor footballer as him.

Bacuna is up there and I’m sure there are many others but for me this bloke takes the accolade.

Re: Vaulks

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:16 pm

I suppose you’re going to say next that Joe Morrell is a better option, and we should sign him!

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:24 pm

Danny Says wrote:I am struggling to think of anyone who’s played for so often for us at this level whom is as such a poor footballer as him.

Bacuna is up there and I’m sure there are many others but for me this bloke takes the accolade.

Poor footballer? Really?

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:29 pm

Cardiffboy95 wrote:I suppose you’re going to say next that Joe Morrell is a better option, and we should sign him!

I think you miss the point. Morrell doesn’t play for Cardiff :roll:
Vaulks contributes nothing, has no ability, can’t pass, can’t track, can’t tackle, can’t create and is basically not good enough.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:41 pm

Danny Says wrote:
Cardiffboy95 wrote:I suppose you’re going to say next that Joe Morrell is a better option, and we should sign him!

I think you miss the point. Morrell doesn’t play for Cardiff :roll:
Vaulks contributes nothing, has no ability, can’t pass, can’t track, can’t tackle, can’t create and is basically not good enough.

And this is probably the stupidest post of the year!
Absolute belter!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:18 am

Bacuna, Pack and Flint come to mind. And Murphy.
Flint literally seems incapable of passing to a team mate more than two yards away

Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:08 pm

His performance in 50 minutes is as poor as I’ve ever seen from a city player

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:24 am

Vaulks is a non entity. Please drop him and play anyone in his position. Against Stoke he was crap again. Brings nothing to the team.

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:14 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Bacuna, Pack and Flint come to mind. And Murphy.
Flint literally seems incapable of passing to a team mate more than two yards away

Pack has the highest successful pass rate at the club according to statistics and contrary to popular to belief, does pass forwards on occasions, although a football is allowed to be passed backwards and sideways to manipulate opposition defences, despite the “pump it forward” battlecry from the stands.

If we had a couple of Marlon Packs in midfield, you’d see his true ability, but he can’t pass to himself, so maybe the solution is to get some quality in around him. A scapegoat for some of our fans, but to me he is a quality operator at Championship level. :bluebird:

Re: (Will) Vaulks

Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:32 am

Maybe it's not the players
Maybe its the manager not being able to convey what they want them to do

Lets see over the next week and then up to xmas how he gets on

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:09 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Bacuna, Pack and Flint come to mind. And Murphy.

Pack has the highest successful pass rate at the club according to statistics and contrary to popular to belief, does pass forwards on occasions, although a football is allowed to be passed backwards and sideways to manipulate opposition defences, despite the “pump it forward” battlecry from the stands.

If we had a couple of Marlon Packs in midfield, you’d see his true ability, but he can’t pass to himself, so maybe the solution is to get some quality in around him. A scapegoat for some of our fans, but to me he is a quality operator at Championship level. :bluebird:

Thanks that made me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As I lie awake after a replacement hip op , at least it made me laught.
Its funny how different people see players. For me, MP is far too slow and immobile to play in our nidfield. If, as you mention, “If we had a couple more like him” in midfield then I think we’d quickly reach League2! Is it a coincidence that MMcC based his midfield around Pack this year and MP never missed a minute, never even subbed when we needed more creativity to get back in the game. Is it coincidence that MP played every minute of every game and we went on a record breaking losing run playing slow defencive football and creating next to nothing??
Its all about balance in the team (especially midfield).Now I am not saying, its all MPs fault and he may be “a good professional”. I am just saying that you cant base our limited midfield around him. I would be interested to know what we try in terms of formations in training.For example, it might be interesting to see MP play as a centre back. (Ie instead of 5 centre backs :shock: plus MP :shock: ) Try him as a more footballing centre back with a good experienced more defencive partner (we have plenty of choice!! In that formation he might improve the links deom the back to midfield and attack. Anyway, just my opinion. :thumbup: :bluebird:

Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:42 am

I think if you play Pack, you have to play someone mobile alongside him e.g. Bacuna.

Where it goes wrong is playing Pack and Ralls together because of the lack of mobility. Pack is by far the best passer of the ball in our midfield but he needs people to be looking for the ball and often he’s caught in possession because he has no options.

Vaulks has had some good games but I agree, he’s been poor this season. Maybe a new manager and more confident team will help him ?

Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:12 am

Pack must be really proud to have the best passing conversion in this team! Not much of a statement of ability is it. But they are sidewards and backwards. To a player who then gives it away. Pack cant/ doesn't tackle, is waltzed around by opponents and is as slow a player with out without the ball that we've had for many a year. He is definitely not a top half of the championship player and nothing in his career gives any sign he is. He is though "better" than Bacuna and Vaulks but its a low bar.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:46 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Pack must be really proud to have the best passing conversion in this team! Not much of a statement of ability is it. But they are sidewards and backwards. To a player who then gives it away. Pack cant/ doesn't tackle, is waltzed around by opponents and is as slow a player with out without the ball that we've had for many a year. He is definitely not a top half of the championship player and nothing in his career gives any sign he is. He is though "better" than Bacuna and Vaulks but its a low bar.

But there's nothing wrong with playing sideways and back wards. It's all about moving the ball and looking for gaps. The problem is, as others have said, that when he passes to another player the ball then gets hoofed instead of them being patient too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming Pack is a world beater but he does get way more stick than he deserves. If Morison is going to try and play with more control and patience then Pack has to play as he's the only player we have who's passing stats demonstrate he can keep the ball. He's certainly worth trying on Wednesday in the new set-up, as I can't see that we have anyone else better.

With Moore coming back into form and Colwill also looking to make runs in behind the back four Pack will now have people to aim at rather than just hitting hopeful balls or, as you say, just retaining possession passing backwards and sideways. Even in that dire first half on Saturday we still had two opportunities with player, Colwill and Moore, one on one with their keeper. When was the last time that happened ?

Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:30 am

The fact we all have different opinions is what makes this forum interesting and there are some good examples of this above with some claiming Pack can’t tackle and others saying he should be played at CB, albeit as a ball playing one, a position where tackling is a key attribute. Personally, I think he could be used in a more defensive position, but ideally I’d prefer to see him as a deep lying play maker in front of the CB’s. A sprinter he most certainly is not. :lol:

As for Vaulks, he’s not been great this season, but I do enjoy watching him as he gets stuck in and cant fault his effort or passion, but to progress, we’re probably going to need more overall quality. However, whilst he dons a Cardiff City shirt, he will get my full support.