Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

'KICK IT OUT' INVESTIGATE 'CULTURALLY INSENSITIVE' FANS

Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:17 pm

Anti-racism groups urge Newcastle fans to ditch 'culturally insensitive' Saudi Arabia 'fancy dress' in tribute to new owners after dozens don home-made keffiyehs
By Matt Hughes

'Kick It Out' are planning talks with Newcastle United to discourage fans from wearing tea towels on their heads in a misguided celebration of the club's new Saudi owners.

Hundreds of supporters donned home-made head-dresses for the Public Investment Fund's first game in charge against Tottenham at St James Park on Sunday, creating a spectacle that dismayed Kick It Out and influential FA figures.

Kick It Out spent Monday collating reports of anti-discriminatory behaviour from the weekend's fixtures as they do every Monday, and are waiting to discover if there were any specific complaints of incidents at Newcastle before contacting the club.

Magpies supporters have been making the gesture to celebrate the new Saudi-led ownership

Sportsmail has learned the equality and inclusion group are likely to offer education workshops in Newcastle to fans to explain how wearing tea towels in an attempt to impersonate Arabs could be considered racist, offensive, or culturally insensitive.

Senior figures at the FA are also concerned by the situation, and may become involved if it is not dealt with by the club.

The sight of many members of the Toon Army wearing tea towels was particularly jarring as it took place at the Premier League's 'No Room for Racism' campaign, which will run over the next fortnight with fans being asked to challenge and report any incidents of discrimination.

The equality and inclusion group want the club to educate fans on how it may cause offence

The issue of cultural appropriation has become a major talking point in UK sport this season.

Premiership rugby club Wasps called for a nationwide ban on the wearing of Native American headdresses by Exeter Chiefs fans earlier this month.

Exeter are refusing to drop the Chiefs moniker despite major American franchises undergoing rebrands, including the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians.

Re: 'KICK IT OUT' INVESTIGATE 'CULTURALLY INSENSITIVE' FANS

Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:19 pm

Right to do or going too far and how does this relate to our own 'tradition' of 'Doing the Ayatollah'?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:36 pm

For me Chris, it’s another pathetic show of the pc brigade and snowflakes taking over the world!

What’s wrong with people nowadays that they can’t laugh at themselves?

What’s the difference between this and all the ‘Taffy’ jokes and sheep jokes that I’ve had all my life with English friends?
I love it and give it back.

Cue the snowflakes on here …..

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:10 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:For me Chris, it’s another pathetic show of the pc brigade and snowflakes taking over the world!

What’s the difference between this and all the ‘Taffy’ jokes and sheep jokes that I’ve had all my life with English friends?

Why is it that football gets targeted by these people? Couldn't be because they are trying to gain credit and more money from gvmnt and the like? Why are they not targeting gvmnts over their sponsorship of arms deals that kill civilians? Surely not because they get their money from them? :laughing6:

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:24 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:For me Chris, it’s another pathetic show of the pc brigade and snowflakes taking over the world!

Spot on - I watched the geordies so so happy in celebration of the new owners.

How come all these sad people who must have a distorted sense of the world come out of the woodwork :oops:

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:37 pm

Paul, I couln't agree with you more but we're 'old school' now, as the self-seekers, pandering sychophants and (as you say) snowflakes search for their next 'add to my ultra-PC CV' target for self-promotion/progression

There certainly a few on here, too and one or two who like to dish out but can't take it back or respond civilly when told ;)

Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:13 pm

These people will never be satisfied whatever you do, they will just move the goal posts further along. How anyone can be offended by such a gesture by Newcastle fans is beyond me. I am sure the Saudis aren't.

The fact that they have 17 full time employees some of whom spend the weekend looking for instances of discrimination should alarm the Premier League, but unfortunately there is no one with any guts to say enough is enough.

By the way, the head of this "charity" earns £80,000 p.a.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:17 pm

JJ1927 wrote:These people will never be satisfied whatever you do, they will just move the goal posts further along. How anyone can be offended by such a gesture by Newcastle fans is beyond me. I am sure the Saudis aren't.

The fact that they have 17 full time employees some of whom spend the weekend looking for instances of discrimination should alarm the Premier League, but unfortunately there is no one with any guts to say enough is enough.

That was my point theres money to be made to keep finding things to complain about.. if didn't complain there funds would dry up . :o

Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:35 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:These people will never be satisfied whatever you do, they will just move the goal posts further along. How anyone can be offended by such a gesture by Newcastle fans is beyond me. I am sure the Saudis aren't.

That was my point theres money to be made to keep finding things to complain about.. if didn't complain there funds would dry up . :o

I agree. The less discrimination there is the more subtle ways they have to define it if they want there organisation and their jobs to continue.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:55 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I agree. The less discrimination there is the more subtle ways they have to define it if they want there organisation and their jobs to continue.

Forgot it's about his ego as well hey look at me I'm doing great things for black footballers so gime your money... :laughing6:

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:12 pm

How hypocritical when millionaire footballers all over the world feel they’re doing there bit when they kneel but will quite happily play in a World Cup where nearly 7000 Indian,Pakistani,Nepalese,Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan workers have died in the construction of stadia since Qatar were awarded the hosting.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:56 pm

mucker wrote:How hypocritical when millionaire footballers all over the world feel they’re doing there bit when they kneel but will quite happily play in a World Cup where nearly 7000 Indian,Pakistani,Nepalese,Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan workers have died in the construction of stadia since Qatar were awarded the hosting.

Completely agree. Let's throw in that the Taliban leaders have been given shelter in Qatar for twenty years too. The world cup really should be boycotted by all concerned.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:38 am

As an individual who has work and lived among their people for a few years they would be laughing all the way to the Mosque if they heard what the Newcastle fans had in mind.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 am

mucker wrote:How hypocritical when millionaire footballers all over the world feel they’re doing there bit when they kneel but will quite happily play in a World Cup where nearly 7000 Indian,Pakistani,Nepalese,Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan workers have died in the construction of stadia since Qatar were awarded the hosting.

The word slaves is closer to the truth than workers.

Every player that goes to that world cup is directly supporting slavery and racism.

You're either on the bus, or off it. Pick a side.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:30 am

Sven wrote:Anti-racism groups urge Newcastle fans to ditch 'culturally insensitive' Saudi Arabia 'fancy dress' in tribute to new owners after dozens don home-made keffiyehs
By Matt Hughes

'Kick It Out' are planning talks with Newcastle United to discourage fans from wearing tea towels on their heads in a misguided celebration of the club's new Saudi owners.

Hundreds of supporters donned home-made head-dresses for the Public Investment Fund's first game in charge against Tottenham at St James Park on Sunday, creating a spectacle that dismayed Kick It Out and influential FA figures.

Kick It Out spent Monday collating reports of anti-discriminatory behaviour from the weekend's fixtures as they do every Monday, and are waiting to discover if there were any specific complaints of incidents at Newcastle before contacting the club.

Magpies supporters have been making the gesture to celebrate the new Saudi-led ownership

Sportsmail has learned the equality and inclusion group are likely to offer education workshops in Newcastle to fans to explain how wearing tea towels in an attempt to impersonate Arabs could be considered racist, offensive, or culturally insensitive.

Senior figures at the FA are also concerned by the situation, and may become involved if it is not dealt with by the club.

The sight of many members of the Toon Army wearing tea towels was particularly jarring as it took place at the Premier League's 'No Room for Racism' campaign, which will run over the next fortnight with fans being asked to challenge and report any incidents of discrimination.

The equality and inclusion group want the club to educate fans on how it may cause offence

The issue of cultural appropriation has become a major talking point in UK sport this season.

Premiership rugby club Wasps called for a nationwide ban on the wearing of Native American headdresses by Exeter Chiefs fans earlier this month.

Exeter are refusing to drop the Chiefs moniker despite major American franchises undergoing rebrands, including the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians.

Why dont people take their heads for a shit ,this nonsense of every thing is offensive is anti western propoganda

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:06 am

Heard stuff like this described as St George in retirement syndrome, discriminating against anyone on the grounds of race, religion, culture, sexuality or gender is forbidden in law. All the dragons have been slain but St George still has his horse and Lance so hes still looking for dragons to kill. Meanwhile in the Kingdom of Saud all these groups we protect are constantly discriminated against, but the problem is Geordies wearing tea towels.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:08 am

nubbsy wrote:

The word slaves is closer to the truth than workers.

Every player that goes to that world cup is directly supporting slavery and racism.

You're either on the bus, or off it. Pick a side.

Don’t worry over privileged multi millionaire footballers will take a knee and everything will be ok.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:02 pm

You lot have just gone to the police over the swim away gesture.

Talk about an insensitive woke lot.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm

Jackbustard wrote:You lot have just gone to the police over the swim away gesture.

Talk about an insensitive woke lot.

The gesture is mocking opposition no problem players doing it but your manager did it that is not acceptable..... also if you read it you showed a city board member and manager on big screen that is again unacceptable behaviour for obvious reasons...... have you ever seen a manager mock opposition or club put up opposition board member on tv screen? Both things incite reaction from fans something not needed at a derby game... unquestionably you would say same if another club did same to your club. :|