Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: LATEST: DAVID HENDERSON FLIGHT TRIAL

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:23 pm

fred keenor wrote:Jury still not reached a verdict
Mr Justice Foxton re-enters the courtroom and is informed that the jury still has not reached a verdict.

He grants them extra time, saying he is “inclined to give them a little longer to see if there is any further communication.”

Worrying ?

What happens next, does he ask them to get a majority decision if one or two go a different way from the rest?

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Mr Justice Foxton re-enters the courtroom and is informed that the jury still has not reached a verdict.

He grants them extra time, saying he is “inclined to give them a little longer to see if there is any further communication.”

Worrying ?

What happens next, does he ask them to get a majority decision if one or two go a different way from the rest?

Judge said he wanted a verdict on which everyone is agreed clearly not everyone is on the same sheet here.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:58 pm

castleblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Worrying ?

Judge said he wanted a verdict on which everyone is agreed clearly not everyone is on the same sheet here.

Is this likely to be tomorrow now ?

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:43 pm

The jury has been sent home for the evening after failing to reach a verdict after 6 hours. Back in the morning.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:43 pm

castleblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Worrying ?

That's always going to happen isn't it, there is always one or two dopes?

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:25 pm

Bluebina wrote:
castleblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Worrying ?

That's always going to happen isn't it, there is always one or two dopes?

I have done Jury service a couple of times and in my experience nothing is straightforward when it comes to how jurors see the evidence that has been put before them. The good thing about the process is that the jury talk the issues through and eventually they reach a verdict. I remember one where a single juror wouldn't reach the same conclusion as the other 11 and he couldn't explain why. Eventually he let it slip that he didn't like police and that they couldn't be trusted. In that case our foreman was brilliant and when he explained to the numpty he should have declared his prejudice when he was being sworn in he hadn't understood he had sworn to consider the evidence and make a decision based only on the evidence. He then said of course the guy is guilty I just don't like the police. :o

As you say there are always one or two. :banghead: :banghead:

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am

Jury have started their deliberations again and the judge has asked them to pass him a note if there is no chance of them reaching agreement on a verdict. He will then review the situation.

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:25 am

Jury unable to reach unanimous verdict. Judge has instructed the jury to see if they can a majority 11-1 or 10-2.

I'm really shocked at this.

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:27 am

castleblue wrote:Jury unable to reach unanimous verdict. Judge has instructed the jury to see if they can a majority 11-1 or 10-2.

What happens if it is 7-5 guilty? Does that mean a retrial or simply not guilty?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:34 am

castleblue wrote:Jury unable to reach unanimous verdict. Judge has instructed the jury to see if they can a majority 11-1 or 10-2.

Unfortunately there are people around who will always side against the establishment no matter what. Jury trials are under serious threat in my view.

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:43 am

GUILTY

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:48 am

And rightly so

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:48 am

Looks like it's at least a 10-2 majority.

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:54 am

The judge asked the jury, were any of them Cardiff fans , which they replied no. He should also have asked were there any Swansea fans !