‘ David Brooks ‘

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ David Brooks ‘

Postby Mickyblueeyes » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Good luck Brooksy

David Brooks: Wales and Bournemouth midfielder diagnosed with cancer

Wednesday 13th October 2021

Wales midfielder David Brooks joined Bournemouth from Sheffield United for £11.5m in July 2018

Wales and Bournemouth midfielder David Brooks has revealed he has been diagnosed with cancer.

The 24-year-old said he has Stage 2 Hodgkin lymphoma but that "the prognosis is a positive one" and will start treatment next week.

Brooks, who has won 21 Wales caps, was on international duty last week and credits the Wales medical team for helping detect the illness.

"This is a very difficult message for me to write," said Brooks.

"I have been diagnosed with Stage 2 Hodgkin lymphoma and will begin a course of treatment next week.

"Although this has come as a shock to myself and my family, the prognosis is a positive one and I am confident that I will make a full recovery and be back playing as soon as possible."

Hodgkin lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system, an important part of the immune system.

"I'd like to show my appreciation to the doctors, nurses, consultants and staff who have been treating me for their professionalism, warmth and understanding during this period," Brooks said.

"I want to thank everyone at the Football Association of Wales because without the swift attention of their medical team we may not have detected the illness.

"I'd also like to say thank you to AFC Bournemouth for all of their support and assistance this past week."

Brooks has played nine times for Championship side Bournemouth this season, scoring three goals, but his football career will now be on hold as he begins treatment.

"Although I appreciate that there will be media attention and interest, I would like to ask that my privacy is respected in the coming months and I will share updates on my progress when I am able to do so," Brooks added.

"In the meantime, thank you to everyone for their messages of support - it means so much and will continue to do so in the months ahead.

"I look forward to seeing you all again and playing the sport I love very soon."

Both Wales and Bournemouth have offered their support and best wishes to Brooks during his treatment.

Brooks, who made three appearances for Wales at Euro 2020, last played in the Cherries' goalless draw against Peterborough on 29 September, when he came off after 69 minutes.

Wales announced on 6 October that he had withdrawn from their latest squad through illness.
Attachments
BCE51B7C-9DA1-4EAE-8076-729FFA93BD23.jpeg
BCE51B7C-9DA1-4EAE-8076-729FFA93BD23.jpeg (80.03 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
Mickyblueeyes

‘ David Brooks ‘

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: David Brooks

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:17 pm

Very sad news.

Hope he can battle through it.

Best wishes to him, as well as his family and close friends.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Re: David Brooks

Postby castleblue » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Terrible news.

Get well soon David.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Re: ‘ David Brooks ‘

Postby Scoularite » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:23 pm

Best of luck. You can beat it. :thumbup:
Scoularite

Postby MR BIRCHGROVE » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:06 pm

I'm sure all Cardiff fans, indeed, all football fans would like to wish you their best wishes.
MR BIRCHGROVE

Postby Big Hill Blue » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:07 pm

Get fighting. Best wishes
Big Hill Blue

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:20 pm

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:I'm sure all Cardiff fans, indeed, all football fans would like to wish you their best wishes.

Spot On - Best Wishes DB .
TopCat CCFC

Postby Sven » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 pm

This is very sad for anyone but particularly for a young man at the top of his game...

Best wishes for a full recovery to David Brookes... :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:28 am

In a statement of his own, the Wales international said: "This is a very difficult message for me to write.

"I have been diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin Lymphoma and will begin a course of treatment next week.

"Although this has come as a shock to myself and my family, the prognosis is a positive one and I am confident that I will make a full recovery and be back playing as soon as possible.

"I'd like to show my appreciation to the doctors, nurses, consultants and staff who have been treating me for their professionalism, warmth and understanding during this period.

"I want to thank everyone at the Football Association of Wales because without the swift attention of their medical team we may not have detected the illness.

"I'd also like to say thank you to AFC Bournemouth for all their support and assistance this past week.

"Although I appreciate that there will be media attention and interest, I would like to ask that my privacy is respected in the coming months and I will share updates on my progress when I am able to do so.

"In the meantime, thank you to everyone for their messages of support – it means so much and will continue to do so in the months ahead.

"I look forward to seeing you all again and playing the sport I love very soon."

Hodgkin lymphoma is an uncommon cancer that develops in the lymphatic system, which is a network of vessels and glands spread throughout your body.

Chief executive Neill Blake added: “Everyone at AFC Bournemouth will do everything possible to help support David and his family during his recovery.

“We’re not putting any timescales on his return; we will give David all the time he needs to get well and will do everything that we possibly can to help with that.

“I know everyone will be keen to show their love and support for David which will help him immensely as he recovers, but we also urge you all to respect his and his family’s privacy during this time.”
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby moonboots » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:10 pm

We can only wish David all the best for a swift recovery. It seems the FAW medical team were on the ball to find the condition, which apparently is difficult to pick up in the early stages. Well done to them. Can't wait for Brooksy to be playing in the red of Wales again.
moonboots

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:00 am

David Brooks: Cancer diagnosis prompts messages of support -

Young people who have experienced living with cancer have been sending words of encouragement to footballer David Brooks after he was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma.

Wales and Bournemouth midfielder Brooks, 24, said his prognosis was good and he is starting treatment next week.

Eleri Reece-Jones, 22, was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma in February.

"The word cancer is massive and it changes your life the moment you hear it," she said.

The student from from Rhuallt, in Denbighshire, was diagnosed after finding a lump on her neck.
TopCat CCFC

Return to General Chat