Tycoon Owners?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tycoon Owners?

Postby Welsh Giants » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:00 pm

With the newcastle takeover, i cant think of any other club out there who have massive potential but no mega rich and ambitious owners other than us or leeds united who are sleeping giants. Ppl will disagree but we are the capital of wales and unique in that respect being in the english leagues, and fan base of south wales valleys cardiff barry newport etc is huge and not tapped in too even close yet with no sustained top flight success. We could be a tycoons perfect buy and club. Newcastle deserve it really with their fans and potential.

Moving on, are there any tycoon owners who want to live the welsh catalan dream sam hammam once had? Anymore saudis out there? Or chinese? Jeff bezos or elon musk fancy a punt? We live in hope lol….
Welsh Giants

Tycoon Owners?

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Tycoon Owners?

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:07 am

Don't think we're sleeping giants at all.

There are plenty of clubs who are historically bigger than us such as Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham etc (could name many more).

They don't have super-rich owners.

Newcastle are a huge club and their fans deserve the success that will likely come their way now. One of the best fanbases I've ever come across. I wish them well.

Just surprised it's taken this long for someone to buy them from Mike Ashley and that there was no other significant interest from anyone else. Huge potential.

We are nowhere near that level. We have spent two seasons in the top tier in the last 50+ years. Swansea, Wigan and Bournemouth have spent longer there than us.

Championship is about where our club fits at this present time but if you look at it historically, we're actually overachieving by being in the Championship.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby maccydee » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:47 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Don't think we're sleeping giants at all.

There are plenty of clubs who are historically bigger than us such as Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham etc (could name many more).

Newcastle are a huge club and their fans deserve the success that will likely come their way now. One of the best fanbases I've ever come across. I wish them well.

Just surprised it's taken this long for someone to buy them from Mike Ashley and that there was no other significant interest from anyone else. Huge potential.

We are nowhere near that level. We have spent two seasons in the top tier in the last 50+ years. Swansea, Wigan and Bournemouth have spent longer there than us.

Championship is about where our club fits at this present time but if you look at it historically, we're actually overachieving by being in the Championship.

Sadly have to agree with this.

We got going with investment and filled Ninian Park but crowds stagnated. There wasn’t a massive clamour for tickets when we were in the premier league.

Wales rugby and 2016 Euros maybe showed that crowds could be as big as some of the really big clubs if we had big games constantly but there’s nothing of late to show Cardiff have the potential really.
maccydee

Postby rumpo kid » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:13 am

I’d say Newcastle’s potential is limited. They’ll never be global, and already get 50k at home. There’s potential to improve the team, but outside Newcastle don’t think there’s the interest.
rumpo kid

Postby Abergavenny » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:42 am

We are no sleeping giant and never have been Cardiff hardly register an interest in the football world out side of the UK Yes i would love to see the sort of money Newcastle will be getting . They are already a much bigger club than us
Football is now a global sport and if they succeed then they will get support especially in the Asian and Arab countries who do not have the same loyalty to there it clubs as people in UK
Once we have picked a club we usually stay with it but that is not the same elsewhere they want to be associated with winners and will change their clubs on a regular basis
If any club deserves this type of investment Newcastle must be the main club in UK and that because of the fans The number that turn up week in week out and travel away is amazing for a club that has not won anything in so many year, and with a population much smaller than Cardiff
We have people in Cardiff where football is their passion Newcastle is a city where football is the passion I wish i could say the same about City
Abergavenny

Postby Sven » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:06 am

Abergavenny wrote:We are no sleeping giant and never have been Cardiff hardly register an interest in the football world out side of the UK Yes i would love to see the sort of money Newcastle will be getting . They are already a much bigger club than us
Football is now a global sport and if they succeed then they will get support especially in the Asian and Arab countries who do not have the same loyalty to there it clubs as people in UK
Once we have picked a club we usually stay with it but that is not the same elsewhere they want to be associated with winners and will change their clubs on a regular basis
If any club deserves this type of investment Newcastle must be the main club in UK and that because of the fans The number that turn up week in week out and travel away is amazing for a club that has not won anything in so many year, and with a population much smaller than Cardiff
We have people in Cardiff where football is their passion Newcastle is a city where football is the passion I wish i could say the same about City

I would suggest (although historic now) Cardiff City have been up there in the leagues and also with massive Ninian Park crowds regularly between 40,000 and 60,000 (I've seen more than one 40,00+ crowd in my time nowhere near pushing for the top division

The term 'sleeping giant' is a tough one to substantiate, so I can't agree with you 'nevervwas/nevervwill be assertion

But I tend to agree with some of your comment and with those of Ned (Worcester) and Neil (maccydee) above, based on the historical fact we are currently at the level we have tended to operate at and maybe even a little higher

Do we have potential? Of course we do; and as fans we (mostly) have ambition, too. Why wouldn't we in a results driven arena?

Our 'fan base' is solid in as much as if the team/club are performing, the crowds will come out. We proved that on many occasions and we weren't at the bottom of the attendance table on either of our visits to the Premier League, remembering a decision was taken to expand the capacity to (at that time) accommodate the added interest

Sleeping giant? As I said, tough call

Potential to be a bigger club? I think we've shown that, so a 'yes' from me but only with the right backing
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby maccydee » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:11 am

Sven wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:We are no sleeping giant and never have been Cardiff hardly register an interest in the football world out side of the UK Yes i would love to see the sort of money Newcastle will be getting . They are already a much bigger club than us

I would suggest (although historic now) Cardiff City have been up there in the leagues and also with massive Ninian Park crowds regularly between 40,000 and 60,000 (I've seen more than one 40,00+ crowd in my time nowhere near pushing for the top division

The term 'sleeping giant' is a tough one to substantiate, so I can't agree with you 'nevervwas/nevervwill be assertion

But I tend to agree with some of your comment and with those of Ned (Worcester) and Neil (maccydee) above, based on the historical fact we are currently at the level we have tended to operate at and maybe even a little higher

Do we have potential? Of course we do; and as fans we (mostly) have ambition, too. Why wouldn't we in a results driven arena?

Our 'fan base' is solid in as much as if the team/club are performing, the crowds will come out. We proved that on many occasions and we weren't at the bottom of the attendance table on either of our visits to the Premier League, remembering a decision was taken to expand the capacity to (at that time) accommodate the added interest

Potential to be a bigger club? I think we've shown that, so a 'yes' from me but only with the right backing

The days of 40 to 60k pretty much everyone was getting large crowds. It was cheap and part of society. That changed and now there are so many different options for people for their money it’s special occasions where fans would come out. We have had that obviously. Man Utd home first time in 30 years is big, next time not so much and ongoing.

Reason rugby is so well supported is it’s part of society. Loads of idiots (and well behaved people) get drunk and go watch rugger. It’s engrained. Hence why Wales sell out the 74,500 tickets regularly.
maccydee

Postby Abergavenny » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:40 am

Sven wrote:

Like you i have seen a few city games with over 40k at home but usually they were massive games with something on them like promotion but in the same season as those crowds were very low crowds I have seems many hundreds of below 8000 crowds and seasons when 5000 was seen as a big crowd . As you say a sleeping giant is hard to pin down what it actually is All clubs will get a bigger demand for top games but i would like to see city averaging 30k in for all other games Even in the championship but not sure it will happen in my lifetime
Abergavenny

Postby rumpo kid » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Thirty years in the top flight should do it..
rumpo kid

Postby maccydee » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:52 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Thirty years in the top flight should do it..

Not sure about that.

I think thirty years up the top end of the league would see big crowds but thirty years as a mid table side (can only dream of that) wouldn’t give high crowds.
maccydee

Postby Sven » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:03 pm

maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

The days of 40 to 60k pretty much everyone was getting large crowds. It was cheap and part of society. That changed and now there are so many different options for people for their money it’s special occasions where fans would come out. We have had that obviously. Man Utd home first time in 30 years is big, next time not so much and ongoing.

Reason rugby is so well supported is it’s part of society. Loads of idiots (and well behaved people) get drunk and go watch rugger. It’s engrained. Hence why Wales sell out the 74,500 tickets regularly.

Fair points and there are so many more options with our free time modernly but we have been there and for that reason I see us as having potential with the right people in charge

We have (to some extent) shown it under Tan and I still believe if Malky hadn't caused his own downfall, a different debate, we would have survived that first season at the top table
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby maccydee » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:18 pm

Sven wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

Fair points and there are so many more options with our free time modernly but we have been there and for that reason I see us as having potential with the right people in charge

We have (to some extent) shown it under Tan and I still believe if Malky hadn't caused his own downfall, a different debate, we would have survived that first season at the top table

In hindsight I wish we had changed manager both promotion seasons.

The first one more so. A proven manager having that huge budget would have meant we really could have put a marker down and laid a foundation to help us stay there for years.
maccydee

Postby Sven » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:29 pm

maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

The first one more so. A proven manager having that huge budget would have meant we really could have put a marker down and laid a foundation to help us stay there for years.

Certainly on the second, I agree; with the former being debatable because he went well before the season's end

There was a (so called) 'Committee' move to replace NW before the season started and another after the Sala tragedy

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we can only imagine what might have been in both situations
Sven

Postby Sneggyblubird » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:33 pm

Time was if you had massive gates you could be classed as a big club but no more.Where has Newcastle's big crowds got them until now-nowhere really.Man City-big club would still be struggling if not the mega rich owners.The days when big gates meant you could afford better players have been confined to the history books.
Sneggyblubird

Postby skiprat » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:36 pm

No football is a secondary sport in Wales and the west country.the combined histories of all the clubs in the region is poor.there have only ever been 2 derby matches played in the top division.historically the clubs play in the lower leagues.
skiprat

Postby maccydee » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:37 pm

Sven wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

Certainly on the second, I agree; with the former being debatable because he went well before the season's end

There was a (so called) 'Committee' move to replace NW before the season started and another after the Sala tragedy

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we can only imagine what might have been in both situations

I just point to Hull and Palace staying up staying up having spent fractions of what we did over two seasons.

I would back Warnock over Malky any day. Massively feel that Warnock did a much better job with a significant smaller budget than Malky had. I believe prior to the committee it was Moody and Malky in charge of transfers. After some of the spending by those two I can see why we changed to a committee.
maccydee

Postby Welsh Giants » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:03 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Don't think we're sleeping giants at all.

Your missing the point of my post fella. All the teams youve mentioned have had far more seasons in the top flight compared to us. They aint a sleeping giant in my eyes because those seasons in top flight should have awoken the giant but their not in the big league any more so says it all for me. If we had long sustained football in the top flight the giant would be awoken and we would stay there. Thats my point.
Welsh Giants

Postby Blueberry Jam » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:11 pm

Welsh Giants wrote:With the newcastle takeover, i cant think of any other club out there who have massive potential but no mega rich and ambitious owners other than us or leeds united who are sleeping giants. Ppl will disagree but we are the capital of wales and unique in that respect being in the english leagues, and fan base of south wales valleys cardiff barry newport etc is huge and not tapped in too even close yet with no sustained top flight success. We could be a tycoons perfect buy and club. Newcastle deserve it really with their fans and potential.

Moving on, are there any tycoon owners who want to live the welsh catalan dream sam hammam once had? Anymore saudis out there? Or chinese? Jeff bezos or elon musk fancy a punt? We live in hope lol….

We are not a big club. The sooner we all realise that the better. If there was a potential buyer out there with billions to waste then they could buy us for what they would consider to be peanuts.
Would like to see it happen but I don't think it will.
Blueberry Jam

Postby Welsh Giants » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:14 pm

And on the wales rugby points and comparison.
The reason wales rugby draw big crowds 70k plus is that wales rugby are always a good successful team in the running to win six nations , team at the top level , thats what people like to watch. If cardiff city the capital city of WALES were constantly at the top level pushing on then you would see crowds grow and grow over years and then it could be engrained in to the culture as of wales rugby and as of newcastle united. But fact is the club will never grow while we are not playing in the top league most prestigious level that people enjoy watching.
Welsh Giants

Postby maccydee » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:24 pm

Welsh Giants wrote:And on the wales rugby points and comparison.
The reason wales rugby draw big crowds 70k plus is that wales rugby are always a good successful team in the running to win six nations , team at the top level , thats what people like to watch. If cardiff city the capital city of WALES were constantly at the top level pushing on then you would see crowds grow and grow over years and then it could be engrained in to the culture as of wales rugby and as of newcastle united. But fact is the club will never grow while we are not playing in the top league most prestigious level that people enjoy watching.

Agree we need to be up the top to have a chance but there were years we were also rans in the rugby but still we sold out rugby matches. Plus the autumn internationals regularly sell out.

It’s culture in Wales.

Although it’s international rugby vs club football so a bit different. The club game is poorly supported in comparison.
maccydee

Postby stentona » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:49 pm

I think some of you are missing the point. No we are not a 'big' club at the moment but we do have a hell of a lot going for us:

A fantastic stadium (already abt 33K capacity) with potential to expand further.
We have super training facilities.
As the OP said we are a CAPITAL city that can attract a lot of attention from the media (no offence to Nottingham, Derby, Swansea, etc)
Sure, we're not a 'world' brand but I don't really want us to be. I'd be happy to be 'on a par' with the likes of Valencia, Atalanta and Wolfsburg.
The Rugby comparison has been done to death and I repeat what many have already said on this board that football is far more popular at grass roots and regional rugby attendances are terrible compared to football. Rugby is more a national event and those watching Wales will go back to support (on the whole!) their favourite Prem teams.
Potentially we do have a huge fan base and with the right owners, manager, set up and brand of football (sustained, as many are fickle) we could be right up there.

Our history is what it is, good, bad and ugly but let's not let that stop us dreaming of a stable and exciting future. We could be a great club, every bit as competitive as say, Leicester.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
stentona

Postby skiprat » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:01 pm

As I said we ain't in the heart land of football never been a big club from Wales and west Saudis probably never heard of Wales .we are just a back water .never going to change .
skiprat

Postby New Day Rising » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:41 pm

We're never going to be a sleeping giant we'd be lucky to be a napping dwarf. ( apologies to any dwarfs, don't want to be accused of dwarfnism)
New Day Rising

Postby bluebird7291 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:03 pm

In a way I see what he's saying. It's not about history etc. But we are a capital city with a very big catchment area. There's alot of potential for the club to grow
bluebird7291

Postby Monmouth » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:45 am

The Saudi buyers of Newcastle will have looked at many clubs, but have they bought a club or more importantly have they bought a club with the highest potential in a region ?

If you look at a map of the west side of the uk below Manchester and west of the midlands and right down to the West Country coast which is the biggest football club ? And a Capital city to boot ? Yes I know the north wales crowd have their Liverpool and Manchester fans, but our potential catchment area is massive when in the premiership.

We didn’t scratch the surface of our potential with our brief stays in the top flight. Are we a big club in the eyes of potential buyers ? Well To anybody with the vision and the money my opinion is yes.
Monmouth

Postby HarriRhys22 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:02 pm

Monmouth wrote:The Saudi buyers of Newcastle will have looked at many clubs, but have they bought a club or more importantly have they bought a club with the highest potential in a region ?

If you look at a map of the west side of the uk below Manchester and west of the midlands and right down to the West Country coast which is the biggest football club ? And a Capital city to boot ? Yes I know the north wales crowd have their Liverpool and Manchester fans, but our potential catchment area is massive when in the premiership.

We didn’t scratch the surface of our potential with our brief stays in the top flight. Are we a big club in the eyes of potential buyers ? Well To anybody with the vision and the money my opinion is yes.

Completely agree with Monmouth, we have a bigger Catchment area than Newcastle and due to years of underperforming we have never reached our potential.Despite this and despite being at the bottom of the table for most of our two recent years in the Premier League we had the 11th best Attendances in the Division comparable with Leicester who have recently won the League! If we became an established Premier League Club and broke into the top 6 like Leicester we would be attracting 60k crowds, we are without doubt a sleeping giant!
HarriRhys22

Postby moonboots » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:56 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:
Monmouth wrote:The Saudi buyers of Newcastle will have looked at many clubs, but have they bought a club or more importantly have they bought a club with the highest potential in a region ?

Completely agree with Monmouth, we have a bigger Catchment area than Newcastle and due to years of underperforming we have never reached our potential.Despite this and despite being at the bottom of the table for most of our two recent years in the Premier League we had the 11th best Attendances in the Division comparable with Leicester who have recently won the League! If we became an established Premier League Club and broke into the top 6 like Leicester we would be attracting 60k crowds, we are without doubt a sleeping giant!

100% agree with this.
Let's pretend that a mega rich consortium has just bought our Club. Let's also pretend that FFP doesn't exist and over the next season or so we accumulate the best players of Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool. Then over the next few years we start winning league titles and start challenging for the Champions league. So 5 years from now what size home stadium would we need in order to accommodate our new fan base?
Then ask the same question of clubs like Bournemouth, Burnley, clubs who are bigger than us financially, at the moment and then, randomly two clubs who currently are smaller than us, for example, Scunthorpe and Cambridge United. It would be interesting to see the answers. But I think the scenario I've set out is a true way of measuring future potential.
moonboots

Return to General Chat