Rubin Colwill: Cardiff midfielder 'shattered' from emotion o

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 am

Rubin Colwill: Cardiff midfielder 'shattered' from emotion of Forest win - Mick McCarthy

Thursday 15 September 2021

Rubin Colwill made his Cardiff debut against Coventry in February, with his first start coming against Wycombe in April
Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy says Rubin Colwill was replaced at half-time against Coventry as he was "shattered" from the emotion of Sunday's victory.

The 19-year-old came off the bench to score the first two senior goals of his career as the Bluebirds came from a goal down to beat Nottingham Forest.

But in Wednesday's 1-0 loss at Coventry the midfielder struggled to make an impact and was replaced at half-time.

"The emotion of Sunday will have left him shattered," said McCarthy.

"Rubin got all the plaudits on Sunday and deserved them, but I had my concerns about him playing from the start today.

"But everyone would have thought I was nuts had I not started him after he scored the two goals.

"It's difficult for him, he's a young guy but he's got to go again, that's all forgotten, but they'll be fine, him and Sparky [Mark Harris, who was also replaced at the break] will be alright.

"He enjoyed Sunday but then I said, 'It's back to work'.

"They have to learn, that doesn't just come, it's back at it, training, working, recovering and playing again, but they're good players they'll be fine."

Relive Wednesday's Championship action as it happened
Rubin Colwill's rapid rise gathering pace
Colwill and fellow Wales international Harris were replaced by James Collins and Sam Bowen as Cardiff found themselves a goal behind at the Coventry Building Society Arena.

Collins had the Bluebirds' best chance to level, putting a close-range header over the bar, but the hosts dominated throughout and deserved victory.

The Ireland international is yet to score a competitive goal since joining in the summer and McCarthy said the striker felt "lousy" at full time.

"He feels like he's let people down but he hasn't," said McCarthy.

"He's got to get in there and get his next chance and make sure he scores that."

Things do not get easier for McCarthy, with third placed Bournemouth the visitors at Cardiff City Stadium this weekend.

"We will need a better performance on Saturday," McCarthy added.

"We generally get good responses from the players, that always pleases me is we never give up, we keep going but it will be a difficult one."
Attachments
72AB091F-AC57-4CBE-BDA6-E32215F26A41.jpeg
72AB091F-AC57-4CBE-BDA6-E32215F26A41.jpeg (66.44 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Rubin Colwill: Cardiff midfielder 'shattered' from emoti

Postby Abergavenny » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:13 am

Shattered from emotions lol Would have thought he would have been on a massive high and raring to go
Abergavenny

Postby castleblue » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:06 am

I'm sure Rubin will be OK but for MM to suggest he was emotionally shattered is bollocks as far as I'm concerned. We lost last night because of a poor "Team" performance simple as that.

The bigger concern to me is Collins and missing that chance last night is not the first time this season that he has missed what looked a simple header, rewind to Brighton at home in the carabao cup and he missed another guilt edge opportunity having been set up by Josh Murphy. On Sunday against a very poor Forest team Collins was terrible in my opinion and did little to influence the game.

For me last night served only to highlight the lack of depth in our squad and losing 3 players, Ralls, Giles and Bacuna has seen performance levels drop over the tipping point to at best mediocrity. MM of course cannot use that excuse he has to play the hand he has been given by the club but it's a losing hand. This season is now ALL about survival and the fact we lost by the odd goal shows that MM is getting the best out of this squad and we need to understand that both performances and results will be ALL over the place.

Surely the club can see this and for me they should be looking to available free agents who could bring both experience and quality to the squad. Robbie Brady is one such player but not the only one and the club would do well to move quickly as our next 5 games could become season defining.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby Bakedalasker » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:26 am

castleblue wrote:
next 5 games could become season defining.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Basically yes and it will perhaps answer all our questions.

If its a negative then there is only one man capable of changing it.
Bakedalasker

Postby fred keenor » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:50 am

If the hierarchy at the club think youngsters can step up and play each week in the rigours of the championship , we are in significant trouble.
Now is the time to add to the squad on some quality and Brady is one name that stands out.
If it’s a question of balancing the books give Tomlin an offer to go.
Our sum of improvements to the squad is a player who is now out on loan and a reserve centre half.
Giles now possibly out for a while as well.
Stated at start of season we are no better than 12 to 14th for this season.
Be nice to hear from our chairman or even see him at Cardiff city stadium.
Goes without saying our owner will not be there again.
fred keenor

Postby Sven » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:50 am

Abergavenny wrote:Shattered from emotions lol Would have thought he would have been on a massive high and raring to go

It's possible. He must have been on an emotional 'high' after the Forest game and the come down for the Coventry one; but hey, why give him the benefit when you (and I mean you) are looking to 'bash' yet again...! :roll:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby BigBearBlue1974 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:52 am

Modern world im afraid. I guess he's trying to protect him. So plaudits for that I guess
BigBearBlue1974

Postby Barclay1 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:42 pm

fred keenor wrote:If the hierarchy at the club think youngsters can step up and play each week in the rigours of the championship , we are in significant trouble.
Now is the time to add to the squad on some quality and Brady is one name that stands out.
If it’s a question of balancing the books give Tomlin an offer to go.
Our sum of improvements to the squad is a player who is now out on loan and a reserve centre half.
Giles now possibly out for a while as well.
Stated at start of season we are no better than 12 to 14th for this season.
Be nice to hear from our chairman or even see him at Cardiff city stadium.
Goes without saying our owner will not be there again.

This is what I have been saying ever since our summer transfer activity (or lack thereof) and transfer policy became evident.

More and more people seem to shifting the blame upstairs and it's something I saw coming ever since we lost at home to Bristol City at the beginning of LAST season.

Colwill had a very decent second half at Forest, but then he was hauled off at Coventry along with Harris. It didn't take long for the excuses to come from MM.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Return to General Chat