Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Youngsters

Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:53 pm

All for giving the youngsters a go but bagan colwill and bowen not ready yet we need more experience colwill was terrible tonight

Re: Youngsters

Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:59 pm

keano wrote:All for giving the youngsters a go but bagan colwill and bowen not ready yet we need more experience colwill was terrible tonight

Not sure can blame youngsters more to do with way we played... we were just pathetic all round one simple chance and we miss it
can blame Collins but what exactly did moore do upfront tonight? Another poor night at office.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:01 pm

Not blaming the youngsters we was terrible all over tonight just think we need a bit more experience

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:10 pm

keano wrote:All for giving the youngsters a go but bagan colwill and bowen not ready yet we need more experience colwill was terrible tonight

I agree, but it's really no point banging that drum.

There are those who think the kids are amazing, and the club is amazing for 'bringing them through. Not blaming them tonight solely, but they were and are completely out of their depth.

We all know why they are being played, and it's not fair on them or the supporters who want us to be at least competitive.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:06 pm

Got to be patient with them. They’ll go one of two ways. Ronaldo at Utd was annoying for 18 months, but that’s what it took. Every game they learn so this year is for that.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:37 pm

Keano, sadly you are not one to give anyone due credit, so no one will be surprised at your OP...

However, you are right in that it is clear that the 'youngsters' in our squad have a lot to learn

But, and it's a big but, in general they have done very well for us so far and on Saturday Rubin Colwill was classed as a 'world beater' by some of the very people who are slating him this evening

The manager has been given a brief for this season and it is to utilise the club's youngsters with one eye on the future

He (the manager) has one hand tied behind his back and is probably as frustrated as the club supporters but he cannot say it

He is doing his best and we should be grateful that we have any youngsters coming through at all after the dearth of any in recent times

Many, including me, are advocates of playing our best youngsters but equally we are impatient for success

Can we have it both ways? This season probably not; but I am excited going forward, if they continue to develop as this season goes on

Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:34 pm

Sven wrote:

Keano, sadly you are not one to give anyone due credit, so no one will be surprised at your OP...

However, you are right in that it is clear that the 'youngsters' in our squad have a lot to learn

But, and it's a big but, in general they have done very well for us so far and on Saturday Rubin Colwill was classed as a 'world beater' by some of the very people who are slating him this evening

The manager has been given a brief for this season and it is to utilise the club's youngsters with one eye on the future

He (the manager) has one hand tied behind his back and is probably as frustrated as the club supporters but he cannot say it

He is doing his best and we should be grateful that we have any youngsters coming through at all after the dearth of any in recent times

Many, including me, are advocates of playing our best youngsters but equally we are impatient for success

Can we have it both ways? This season probably not; but I am excited going forward, if they continue to develop as this season goes on

We played a young side at Forest and when we got the equaliser you could feel it amongst us that we were going to get the winner. that was against the worse team in the league. Tonight we played a much stronger team and the youngsters struggled. Struggled so much that for me its a bit of a worry. If we finish mid table I will be happy. I'm confident we will but tonight gave me concerns.

Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:46 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Sven wrote:

We played a young side at Forest and when we got the equaliser you could feel it amongst us that we were going to get the winner. that was against the worse team in the league. Tonight we played a much stronger team and the youngsters struggled. Struggled so much that for me its a bit of a worry. If we finish mid table I will be happy. I'm confident we will but tonight gave me concerns.

Agree to an extent, but I don't see forest as the worst team I the league, on current form yes, but I see they have some decent players, and won't be there come seasons end imho.we have to remember these buys like colwill & Harris etc, are used to playing 1 game a week, and have been doing a lot more, against older and experienced players, both for us, and for Wales now! ! It's going to be tough for them, but if they get through this season, then they would have to be declared a success?

I wasn't as exited as some with the appointment of MM, but like all city managers, I said I'd get behind him,and for at least the first quarter of this season, at present I'm not covinced he is right for us tbh, but as Sven pointed out, his hands are tied to an extent, but I'm not of the belief he didn't know this was coming? It must have been talked about at board level, which means to me, he accepted it, and won't say a word, as he wants to keep his job, so in the words of a few, is he now a yes man? I personally think he always has been in histime here, not slating him, but his brand of football, even by Harris’s standards is so boring, and predictable, teams working us out pretty earl on In games, 1st half lethargy is a worry for me, the team should be chomping at the bit to get at whoever they are facing at the off, not as per warnock days, start playing when we are behind.
I predicted 10th and still believe that's where we will be around.If that happens and we have brought 2 or 3 youngsters through, I'd be fairly happy, I let go of the play off hope at the beginning of the season, that way my hopes won't be dashed badly, like some on here, who believe that's the minimum we should be expecting.Football is changing before our eyes after covid, and there are other teams in this division who will be in serious trouble by end of season (unless they get promoted of course!)
I'm all, for us going through transistion, and this season could be the right time, nobody really spending, teams bringing youth through the ranks, why not now for us? My real concern is we don't seem to be transitioning our playing style!! And with MM in charge, I can't see us doing anything different, the same boring, try not to lose football, relying on set pieces, corners and long throws :sad7: last night we were not at the races 1st half, and weren't much better 2nd half either!
But at the end of the day, I love this club, and even though we ain't pretty to watch, will continue to support us, till I die. :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:58 am

I didn't watch the game last night because it was early hours in the morning for me on a worknight. This probably allows me to be less reactionary as I didn't see how bad we played. I heard we played pretty bad though. And also some of our youngsters seemed to have a bad game (Colwill, Bowen and Bagen etc...).

For me though performances and results like last night are to be expected this season as we are blooding through so much youth. Ruben Colwill had a barnstorming performance against Nottingham Forest but gets hooked off at half time last night and from being on cloud 9 on Sunday, to now he's "out of his depth" just a few days later.

I see Colwill, Bagen, Bowen, Evans, Harris etc... as players who all have the ability to play at this level but they probably don't yet know what it requires to be a 'professional' at this level yet.

For example, Colwill would have been feeling like Ronaldo on Sunday but being a professional at this level he now needs to learn how to back it up again a couple of days later. Us fans have to be patient this season with the young players as they learn the grind of being a professional football player and turning their ability into consistent performances week in and week out, and to try and not get on their backs to much when things are not going so well. That's the biggest job for Mick McCarthy, TC and our senior pro's need to teach the younger players this season (what it takes to be a professional (standards). It's when they are able learn how to do that, we can say we have a real football team on our hands.

Be prepared for the good times when it all clicks together like it did in the 2nd half against forest, but also be prepared for the inconsistent performances like last night.

Trust the Process

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:10 am

This year could be one of the more important years in our history Not from league position but from the point of starting to develop some of our youth into first team players With what has happened over recent years i can see the club spending much
If we could forward 2 years it would be good to see how the current youngster have developed We are judging players with some playing less than 15 hours of first team football
Do i think we have any stars Not as yet Colwill may have something but he has no consistency as yet but something is there Bagan doing well in a hard position for one so young . Bowen is a tidy player , but no pace to talk about but has a very good passing range Others i have not seen enough of

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:06 am

I am not overly concerned with our style on the development of the youngsters. They are finding out what championship-level teams are about and the time and space they have.

I would like Mick to be our last manager. Football club managers are so last century.

The DoF or head of the recruitment team should recruit the first-team coach to win football matches, not to be involved in transfers. Have a say, but in the championship, players tend to hang around longer than managers and they are high-value assets with huge overheads.

It looks like the club have a plan, I hope they plan to find a first team coach to match the playing squad.
Trollope had a plan, he just didn't have the players to enact that plan. I would hate us to be another Uefa coaching badge newbie playing the same way all the way down to L1. Its not about the badges its about the track record, do you as a coach have something different. I am sure there are decent young coaches in the second tier of bundersliga who could add something with our squad

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:16 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Sven wrote:

Ian, it's tough to disagree with you, as your points are fair but I think that when we find a settled side that isn't plagued by 'odd' injuries/illnesses, we will be okay; although I am reducing mu top 6 expectations for this season

Giles will be a valuable returner (hopefully for Saturday) and you never know, as much as I disrespect the guy, you may even see Tomlin actually earn his substantial benefits at some point ;)