Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" James Collins / our best team "

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:00 pm

James Collins works hard but I'm sorry, I just don't think he's good enough.

The difference was clear yesterday between Collins playing for the first 55 minutes and Moore playing for the last 35 minutes.

I know Collins had a shot that was saved by the goalkeeper, but in truth it was a comfortable save.

He hasn't really looked like scoring since he signed for us.

His link up play is nowhere near the level of Moore or even Harris either.

Let's hope that Kieffer Moore can stay fit all season because the difference between when he plays and when he doesn't play is huge.

On the plus side, I thought Mark Harris had one of his better games for us. Missed a good chance but his link-up play was very very good.

Big season for Harris, I think this season is make or break for him when it comes to us.

When we have Giles fit again it should be him, Colwill and Harris fighting for two positions. Harris is probably third choice out of those three at the moment.

He may even be fourth choice, behind Bacuna as Mick seems to be a fan of playing him a lot.

I also thought Joel Bagan had one of his best games for us so far.

In my opinion, this is our best team when everyone is fit (I'm not including Tomlin or Vassell for obvious reasons):

Dillon Phillips
Tom Sang
Aden Flint
Sean Morrison
Curtis Nelson
Joel Bagan
Marlon Pack
Joe Ralls
Rubin Colwill
Ryan Giles
Kieffer Moore

Re: " James Collins / our best team "

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:26 pm

Ned, James Collins Is not good enough and past his sell by date , was a very good lower league player and that is the opinion as well with the majority of Luton fans .

Collins should be in League 2 now or maybe 1 at best.

Gives his all but not for us.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:00 pm

I agree and well done for spelling Kieffer correctly.. seen so many people spelling it with the e before the i.

Based on current (and unlikely to change) formation and also form...

Phillips

Sang
Morrison
Flint
Nelson
Giles

Ralls
Pack

Colwill
Harris

Moore

Then we have the option to bring on Bagan and push Giles into attack.

Really I'd like to see McGuiness starting instead of one of the three centre backs and Sang pushed into midfield for Ralls. I think Sang is a much better midfielder than defender... Although at right wing back he is in current better form than Ng, who doesn't look sharp or quick at all, perhaps covid really hit him hard.

But that's unlikely

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 pm

by worcester_ccfc ยป Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:00 pm

Phillips

Sang
Morrison
Flint
Nelson
Giles

Ralls
Pack

Colwill
Harris

Moore

In my opinion, this is our best team when everyone is fit (I'm not including Tomlin or Vassell for obvious reasons):

What do you mean??? :lol:

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:35 pm

Giles to start every time from what Ive seen of him, just nice to have some genuine competition for places.

Tomlin and Vassell might as well start their HGV re training program. Vassell will probably tweak something when pulling up the hand brake...

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:59 pm

He's a better player than what we've seen. This City team is very much a 2nd half side when we've worn down the opposition. I'd certainly pick Moore over him, but Collins has usually been playing early on when City are at the most ineffective.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:22 pm

Before Forest we were very much a cross into the box and hope one of our big players get a head to it. That does not suit Collins who is a "to my feet" player.

Personally I feel MM wants to pass the ball around but at the moment we don't have the players for that. We have it within the youth coming through as I saw quite a bit of that last season in the development squad. We need to be patient and let these young ones get the confidence for a passing game. If they do then we will see more of Collins.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:25 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Before Forest we were very much a cross into the box and hope one of our big players get a head to it. That does not suit Collins who is a "to my feet" player.

Personally I feel MM wants to pass the ball around but at the moment we don't have the players for that. We have it within the youth coming through as I saw quite a bit of that last season in the development squad. We need to be patient and let these young ones get the confidence for a passing game. If they do then we will see more of Collins.

Surely when a youngster dreams of progression to the first team, they play a passing game?

Who plays hoof it football as a choice?

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:34 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Before Forest we were very much a cross into the box and hope one of our big players get a head to it. That does not suit Collins who is a "to my feet" player.

Surely when a youngster dreams of progression to the first team, they play a passing game?

Who plays hoof it football as a choice?

According to some on here thats how we play hoofball.. but besides that we are not playing a game that gets Collins into game that suits him... yes moor holds up the ball far better than Collins but that's Moores strength and that's the difference ....its not 1st time a striker as been made to look bad by our style of football but its 1st time in Moore we've got someone who can play it.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Ned, James Collins Is not good enough and past his sell by date , was a very good lower league player and that is the opinion as well with the majority of Luton fans .
Collins should be in League 2 now or maybe 1 at best.
Gives his all but not for us.

We have had so many players with this description over the years.
Shopping in Poundland we have got lucky very occasionally too.
Sadly the odd trip to Harrods has resulted in a few end-of-line non-sale items, and too many off-cuts.

Great to see youth getting chance to develop at the moment.
I would be happy with a season finishing 7th-10th as long as our youngsters can bag 30 games experience each, and then have a decent platform for next season, especially if we lose Moore in the January window.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:46 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:I agree and well done for spelling Kieffer correctly.. seen so many people spelling it with the e before the i.

Based on current (and unlikely to change) formation and also form...

Phillips

Sang
Morrison
Flint
Nelson
Giles

Ralls
Pack

Colwill
Harris

Moore

Then we have the option to bring on Bagan and push Giles into attack.

Really I'd like to see McGuiness starting instead of one of the three centre backs and Sang pushed into midfield for Ralls. I think Sang is a much better midfielder than defender... Although at right wing back he is in current better form than Ng, who doesn't look sharp or quick at all, perhaps covid really hit him hard.

But that's unlikely

If you were French, you'd be AfricanBleubird... :thumbup: ;) :lol:

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:20 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:James Collins works hard but I'm sorry, I just don't think he's good enough.

The difference was clear yesterday between Collins playing for the first 55 minutes and Moore playing for the last 35 minutes.

I know Collins had a shot that was saved by the goalkeeper, but in truth it was a comfortable save.

He hasn't really looked like scoring since he signed for us.

His link up play is nowhere near the level of Moore or even Harris either.

Let's hope that Kieffer Moore can stay fit all season because the difference between when he plays and when he doesn't play is huge.

On the plus side, I thought Mark Harris had one of his better games for us. Missed a good chance but his link-up play was very very good.

Big season for Harris, I think this season is make or break for him when it comes to us.

When we have Giles fit again it should be him, Colwill and Harris fighting for two positions. Harris is probably third choice out of those three at the moment.

He may even be fourth choice, behind Bacuna as Mick seems to be a fan of playing him a lot.

I also thought Joel Bagan had one of his best games for us so far.

Dillon Phillips
Tom Sang
Aden Flint
Sean Morrison
Curtis Nelson
Joel Bagan
Marlon Pack
Joe Ralls
Rubin Colwill
Ryan Giles
Kieffer Moore

Agree with that as the best 11. Only question i have is NG and Sang. Sang is better going forward but NG more solid in defence. Two decent options though.

Decent options on the bench as well at the minute. Squad looking a lot better than most of us would have said at the start of the season and the kids will only push on.

Said at the beginning of season if three kids can from the academy could be brought into the first team and a top half finish I'd be happy.

Now think that we should be able to acheive that and then some.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:00 am

Phillips
Ng
Nelson
Flint
Morrison
Bagan
Pack
Vaulks
Giles
Colwill
Moore

I'd rather have Vaulks instead of Ralls. He's more mobile, has a goal in him and generally affects the play more than Ralls.

I do worry a bit about Bagan's defensive positioning but hopefully that will improve with coaching/experience.

Upfront, even though Harris probably had his best game at Forest, I would look forward to seeing Colwill, Giles and Moore together. They look like a pretty good mix to me.

When you then look at the bench you can see that we're looking pretty strong: Smithies, Collins, Bacuna, McGuiness, Sang, Harris, Ralls, Brown.

You never know, we might even see Vassell and Tomlin one day too :roll: :lol: :lol: :bluebird: