Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Bellers ‘

Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:43 pm

Craig Bellamy is struggling with depression, an emotional Vincent Kompany just reported. “The monster is back. We have to give Craig a chance to get well.”

https://twitter.com/pjcalcoen/status/14 ... 59396?s=21

Get well soon.

Re: Bellers

Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:45 pm

Very sad to hear.

Hope he gets well soon.

‘ Craig Bellamy leaves club ‘

Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:52 pm

Craig Bellamy: Ex-Liverpool striker leaves Anderlecht over depression

Craig Bellamy

12/09/21

Bellamy played 78 times for Wales, represented Great Britain at the 2012 Olympic Games and played close to 300 Premier League games, scoring 81 goals
Former Wales and Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy has left his role as Anderlecht assistant manager to deal with depression.

The 42-year-old spoke about his mental health in 2020 and said he had had the condition since his playing days.

In a statement Anderlecht said Bellamy's mental health problems "have resurfaced again recently".

They added he "took a very difficult, but absolutely necessary decision concerning his health" to leave.

Anderlecht added: "Bellamy said goodbye to the players in the dressing room on Sunday afternoon after the 7-2 victory against KV Mechelen."

He joined Anderlecht as the club's under-21 coach in 2019 and moved to being an assistant to former Manchester City team-mate Vincent Kompany earlier this year.

Anderlecht added: "His experience as a striker in the Premier League and his drive took our young squad to a higher level.

"Both coach Vincent Kompany and director of sports Peter Verbeke want to thank Bellamy explicitly for his efforts and show great understanding for Bellamy's brave decision."

Verbeke said: "The enormous energy Craig has given us all is priceless. It is therefore logical that we must give him all the time and rest he needs. The whole club stands firmly behind him in this difficult period."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Craig Bellamy leaves club ‘

Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:23 pm

A great shame but Craig's mental health has to be paramount :clap:

Maybe a way back to Anderlecht in time; or maybe a return home and an opportunity here; possibly with Wales

Whatever his future, I wish him the time and space he needs :ayatollah:

Re: ‘ Bellers ‘

Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:52 pm

Sorry to hear this.

It's good that at last people suffering from this debilitating condition are being given support and time to hopefully make a full recovery.

Good luck Bellers. Get well soon.

Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:56 pm

Wales and page could bring him on board would do him good to be with the team

Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:17 pm

Sorry to hear this, hopefully he'll get the time and support he needs to improve and I wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:05 am

montyblue wrote:Wales and page could bring him on board would do him good to be with the team

I think he needs time away from football tbh, get himself some help, he has made a brave, and correct decision here imho, in my years, I've lost a few friends to suicide, through depression and mental fragility, at least now these men are speaking out, and seeking help, back then, they didn't. :sad7:

GOOD LUCK TO YOU CRAIG, HOPE YOU GET WELL SOON. :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:26 am

Bells was here for a week last week and was much quieter than normal.

Gutted for him.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:07 am

Watching the way we play is hardly a cure for depression

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:29 pm

I know anyone can get depression at any time but his on and off field persona was very much the extremely extrovert / hard man / take no prisoners. I knew someone who knew from an early age - and he was like his 'footballing' character even in those days.

I know he had his doubters and haters as much as his admirers (like me - would have loved to see him at the city) - but I think everyone is sad to hear about this.

He needs a break away from football for a bit and certainly the high pressure environment of football management / coaching - that is no place for anyone with depression.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Gutting told hear but respect him for walking away ....that takes a lot of courage .
Just hope he gets well and comes back as football is very bland these days compared to the 70s /80s ...

All the best fella