Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Double Dip Recession?

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 pm

Are we about to enter another recession? When this government spending review is implemented, and all these cuts take place, I just cant see the private sector picking up the piece’s.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Double Dip Recession?

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:28 pm

I think you are absolutely right.

Cutting public sector to the extent they are proposing simply means more redundancy payments, more unemployment claims and less disposable income in the economy. Not to mention reduced services to those who most need it !!

There is no appetite in the private sector to expand yet and house prices, always a good indicator, are falling along with demand.

Osbourne has over-cooked it and should have reduced the level of savings and also spread those savings over a longer period.

The economy is heading for trouble. I am no Labour activist but what is worth noting is that growth for the last quarter, which would have been solely affected by measures the Labour government put in place, was higher than anticipated and significantly higher than the U.S. and a number of other major economic powers. That progress is now likely to stall/regress under the Coalition plans and, as usual, the lower/middle class will be the ones hurting the most whilst those better off hardly notice a thing !!

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:16 pm

it pisses me right off, i think everybody jumped on the bandwagon thinking the conservatives (coalition) would do a better job & lets be honest they aint done jack shit!! there were signs of things starting to improve while labour were in power & start to get back on track!! now theres signs of panic & if the coalition put all these changes in place it could get worse!! And i really didnt like labour before hand but i really believe they were doing everything they could to improve the econmy!!

lets wait & see!!

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Under Labour Britain could not support its public sector. The private sector was just not strong enough to support it. Gordon Brown told us all not to worry about the expense of the public sector as the economy would support it. How wrong he was.

The coalition need to reduce the expense of the public sector. The only way they know is to cut services. Lets hope they apply the knife in the right places like quangos and management. Personally I cant see it happening as the people given the job to make saves will be management and we know who they will be interested in saving.

Even if the coalition manages to reduce the bill o fthe public service fairly that will only be half the job. It will then need to help the private sector, the wealth sector, to build. The only way it can do this is not tax the private guys too much so they can invest back in themselves. It will be a very difficult balancing act that will require the private bosses to act accordingly then stuff their own pockets which I'm afraid they have a culture of, just look at the bank bosses. The only thing I can see to stop this is to tax the bonus schemes heavily but that will be going against the Tories way of life.

Basically I think this country is fucked and will have to wait until the 3rd world countries catch us up. Soon your Indian call centre workers will have the dsame pay as us and a can of coke over there will be the same as here. Until that happens its going to be rough here.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:24 pm

We will all suffer under this bunch of muppets.