Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: YOUR BEST CITY PLAYER OF ALL TIME !!

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:11 pm

even though its only been a few games butSEYI OLOFINJANA :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:15 pm

kav, earnie, o'neil...

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Chopra, love the guy :D

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:15 pm

He drove the fastest milkcart :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Difficult to say who's "the best" player for me, more than likely be one of the current (or at least very recent) crop due to the standard of football I've grown up with - from the late 60's onwards but I was far too young to pick out individual players.

Favourite player would be easier but I'd still be torn between Tony Evans and Dave Bennett :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:22 pm

Oh I mean chops or leggy :)

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Just imagine the current team but with Big Paul Ramsey and his tache bossing the midfield!

We'd be like the Ajax of the 70s!

Liquid football! :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Craig Bellamy

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 pm

nobody's mentioned him yet, but i was always a big fan of willie boland, excellent at the time. the trouble with the original question is i can't think of one past player in the 14 years ive been supporting city that would make it into the current squad. perhaps kav and leggy in their prime. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:50 pm

Agree tripper, says a lot for the work DJ has done.

I'd add thorne as well but the saying that we have Jay but Thorne would be back up of the highest quality.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:12 am

ooooo rrrrrrrrrr its .............kavanagh

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:18 am

fred davies,dave carver.gary bell,mel sutton,don murray,brian harris,barry jones les lea,peter king tosh ,brian clarke,ronnie bird, ah those were the days,all legends in my book. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:56 am

bennieccfc wrote:even though he's gone ledley was a very good player no doubt about it, took us through to the wembley final 17.5.2008 !

Who's yours ? :ayatollah:

why hasn't your uncle carl posted on this :evil:
pat time poster :lol:

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:16 am

Carl Dale for me. Cos when he was younger I used to play against him and saw he had
a special talent. I actually wrote to the old chairman Ron Jones about him but nowt
came of it. So when he DID come to the City it was a big personal buzz for me. When
he showed everyone what a workhorse he was when we werent in possession and was
like lightening in and around the box I was proper chuffed. Bloody nice lad too Carl is!

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:34 am

Well I've been supporting the Bluebirds since 1959, and have seen some brilliant players over the years (some bad ones too) On the basis that his goals fired us into top-flight football in 1960, I'll go for Derek Tapscott. Tappy was still a prolific goalscorer in the top division for our 2 seasons up there (last time we were) his hat-trick v Birmingham in 1962 was the last time this feat was achieved by a City player in the top division (might change next season?) HOPE SO. :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:23 pm

Before my time, but probably John Charles. Bellamy, on paper, should be the best of recent years, early days for him, but he could be up there.

In terms of favourites, then Toshack would be near the top of my list, along with guys like Roger Gibbins, Dave Bennet, Tarki, Bobby Woodruff, Phil Stant and Kav.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:03 pm

CARL DALE he was a shining light in some dark times

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Phil Dwyer and Chops, both superb at their jobs, Gary Bennett also right up there :ayatollah:

Mind you, after a full season of Bellamy I may well want to change my mind :? :lol:

Robin Friday was an awesome talent too but only played 20+ games so on that basis I think it would be stretching it to include him :lol: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Dave Bennet

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:09 pm

lardo wrote:My late father said John Charles was the best centre forward AND the best centre half in the world at his peak.
My favourite player ever was Adrian Alston. Does anyone remember him almost scoring against Brighton from the half way line? It was straight from the kick off and the game was on MOTD, but the game ended 0-0. He had a great partnership with Tony Evans, but in those days centre halves could kick lumps out of opponents and he wasn`t really suited to that type of game.

Got to agree mate Alston is also my all time favourite Bluebird. That shot from the kick off against Brighton had never been seen before. Sadly, we went on to lose 1-0 in that game.Crying shme he only played one season with us, but hois debut hat trick against Chesterfield made him a city legend for me in a 4-3 win.