Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why did Cardiff not do this?

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:08 pm

Why did Cardiff not do this? and show ambition

Liverpool won't receive any payments for Harry Wilson until 2022 after both clubs agreed to help Fulham avoid sanctions from FFP.

Also £10mill is great value and better than the majority of City’s buys in previous years and even our chairman Dalman said he wanted Wilson lol

Re: Why did Cardiff not do this?

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:17 pm

Because we don’t have 12million to spend now why would we have it next year? Also it just means there’s a guaranteed 12m hole in next season’s transfer budget regardless of what we need to spend. Morrison, Moore or Phillips could break their leg in the last game of the season and now we’re out of cash because we’re spending it on a winger.

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:20 pm

Always City wrote:Why did Cardiff not do this? and show ambition

Liverpool won't receive any payments for Harry Wilson until 2022 after both clubs agreed to help Fulham avoid sanctions from FFP.

Also £10mill is great value and better than the majority of City’s buys in previous years and even our chairman Dalman said he wanted Wilson lol

i get what you are saying, its one of those, if liverpool are willing to defer on payments until a later date, they've probably sold him for an extra £m or 2, to do so. also if they are willing to defer payment, surely we could of negotiated a like a deal, £3m a year maybe for 3 seasons, i think the club have been burnt by Warnocks spending fee's and high wages on players and are desperate to cut costs.

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:21 pm

Please refer to the numerous posts on here regarding our financial situation. Great value or not (and I'm not that convinced), we don't have the cash mate. 90% of the teams in our league are in the same boat.

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:24 pm

Simple were skint and in debt due to the way our club has been run so badly after two Premier League seasons and so
Much money wasted from rebrand, to some shocking buys and every year false promises. My personal view incompetence from this current board.

So now we are depending on free transfers and flooding our squad with kids that we are told are all quality and up to Championship standard , I really really hope they are :bluebird:

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Mark my words the board will sell Kieffer Moore due to the financial mess the club is in after the club being run by clowns and Collins will be first choice with Harris as back up and no funds to use from kieffers sale.

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:41 pm

Yes good idea buy now pay later? Worst thing any club can do except fulham who spend money they obviously havent got because this was done to avoid ffp.... maybe efl need to look at it?

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:58 pm

Oh well. Let's hope Fulham don't go up. Nothing club.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:38 am

jimmy_rat wrote:Oh well. Let's hope Fulham don't go up. Nothing club.

Why are they a nothing club ? Been in the top division for 27 years compared to our 17 and to a european cup final They even won a european cup all be it a minor one For one of the smaller London team they have done ok I am sure it has to be hard to support them when you have so many big London clubs around that you can easily go and see

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:40 am

Abergavenny wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Oh well. Let's hope Fulham don't go up. Nothing club.

Why are they a nothing club ? Been in the top division for 27 years compared to our 17 and to a european cup final They even won a european cup all be it a minor one For one of the smaller London team they have done ok I am sure it has to be hard to support them when you have so many big London clubs around that you can easily go and see

Saying that apart from Swansea and Bristol they are next on my list of team i want to beat

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:46 am

It may help their cash flow but cant see how it will help them out with ffp rules. It will still be regarded as a debt due to Liverpool in the annual accounts and they will take the same hit in the profit and loss account for the amortisation of his contract irrespective of when the payment is due.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:17 am

Forever Blue wrote:Simple were skint and in debt due to the way our club has been run so badly after two Premier League seasons and so
Much money wasted from rebrand, to some shocking buys and every year false promises. My personal view incompetence from this current board.

So now we are depending on free transfers and flooding our squad with kids that we are told are all quality and up to Championship standard , I really really hope they are :bluebird:

Hard to disagree with anything said above.
The next 6 weeks before the transfer deadline closes will define the coming season.
Yes we have some promising youngsters, blooding more than 2 untested in a match of championship quality will be very very difficult.
The squad suddenly looks bereft of depth, i just hope the board realise its a fine line between success and relegation from the championship.
We will soon find out.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:43 am

fred keenor wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Simple were skint and in debt due to the way our club has been run so badly after two Premier League seasons and so

The next 6 weeks before the transfer deadline closes will define the coming season.
Yes we have some promising youngsters, blooding more than 2 untested in a match of championship quality will be very very difficult.
The squad suddenly looks bereft of depth, i just hope the board realise its a fine line between success and relegation from the championship.
We will soon find out.

The window is not closing until the 31st. August, there will be more players coming in ;)

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:10 am

A bit harsh really if we were that badly run we wouldn't have spent two seasons in the premier league in the first place. Not sure you can blame the board too much for the mistakes made by managers they have too back their manager to some extent. Warnock spent money very badly in his last season with the club Vasell Bacuna and Glatzel in paticular and OGS was profligate with money.

If you compare us with the likes of Bolton Portsmouth and Sundefland they might say we look like a well run club. I actually think Wintle Giles and Collins are better than Vassel Bacuna and Glatzel and they have not cost us a penny in transfer fees. That is an example of good management surely.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:44 am

HARRY WILSON:"I JOINED FULHAM BECAUSE OF THEIR AMBITION"

By Glen Williams

Monday 26th July 2021

Harry Wilson seals move to Fulham from Liverpool

Harry Wilson has completed a move from Liverpool to Fulham in a deal believed to be worth £10m.

The Wales international spent all of last season on loan at Cardiff City and scored seven goals and provided 12 assists throughout the course of the campaign.

Cardiff had expressed an interest in taking him back on loan, but it was always thought that he would sign permanently elsewhere this summer.

And Fulham have won the race for the 24-year-old's signature, signing a long-term deal which will keep him at the club until 2026.

Wilson spoke of his desire to get Fulham back up to the Premier League and revealed that what manager Marco Silva had to say during a phone call with him was a "massive" factor in his decision to join the Cottagers.

HARRY WILSON:

"I'm delighted to sign for Fulham," Wilson said.

"The ambition of the club to get back into the Premier League appealed to me as that's where we all want to be and Fulham want to get their."

"From my first chat with the gaffer on the phone, I loved what he was saying and felt that he understood me as a player, and that played a massive role in me coming here.

"The ambition of the club to get back into the Premier League appealed to me as that's where we all want to be. I'm hoping I can come here, have a good season and help get the club back into the Premier League."

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:49 am

Sky Sports:

Fulham have signed Liverpool's Harry Wilson for £10million and have agreed with Fulham they do not pay a penny till the Summer 2022.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:51 am

I agree with Crayfish. Warnock and buying players just never seemed to work. Madine, Glatzel, Murphy, Bacuna, Reid, the list could go on and on.

His loan business and eye for free transfers though was second to none. I though the year we went up that Bryson and Gruic were probably two of the best loan signings we've had in years.

Harris never really spent anything other than NG and Moore, and some of his recruitment was spot on. He just couldn't seem to get the players going. Maybe it was losing to Scott Parker in that semi final that sent him on a downward spiral? In his defense though, he managed to get the best of out Tomlin for half a season which Warnock could never do.

Wilson was our one bit of quality last season, we just never played to his strengths at all. He suits Fulham more than us with the type of football they play. They should be top two by the end of the season.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:51 am

Firstly our club is skint so there is no way we are in for spending £10m on any player. Then of course it's what are Fulham going to be paying him? £20k+ would be my guess and again in respect of new contracts those days are behind us.

Clearly Fulham have an owner with deep pockets who is prepared to throw the kitchen sink at getting promoted. We haven't but which one is right?

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:05 am

Crayfish wrote:

A bit harsh really if we were that badly run we wouldn't have spent two seasons in the premier league in the first place. Not sure you can blame the board too much for the mistakes made by managers they have too back their manager to some extent. Warnock spent money very badly in his last season with the club Vasell Bacuna and Glatzel in paticular and OGS was profligate with money.

If you compare us with the likes of Bolton Portsmouth and Sundefland they might say we look like a well run club. I actually think Wintle Giles and Collins are better than Vassel Bacuna and Glatzel and they have not cost us a penny in transfer fees. That is an example of good management surely.

Both managers that took us up, were later blamed for our debts. First time up we were still learning, second time up we never stayed up and learnt nothing from the first time.
We have not gone forward after 12 years.
I really hope i am wrong and i eat my words, but sadly what i hear and see, i honestly fear for us :cry: :cry: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:43 am

The reality is that this club has always been on debt or struggling to generate income. Apart from the PL, every club has been massively impacted by COVID and will be for years to come - unless football actually takes this opportunity to govern itself properly.

I’m not sure what the rebrand has got to do with us being in debt - apart from the fact it was almost a decade ago, it doesn’t have any direct impact on our income.

As for wasting money on players - this is 100% the case. There has been a long list of players including under Warnock where we have absolutely messed it up. That is the case for most clubs though but our track record of spending ‘big’ and seeing a good player does feel more rare for us.

What I would hold against the board though is that the appointment of Harris was a shocker and always was. We had a team good enough to be in the play offs last season but a a manger who for half of it didn’t know what to do with them. They took far too long to make a decision on getting that was the wrong one in the first place to bring him in.

As for Fulham - they always spend big, always have and normally have it wrong. However if it is true that Liverpool have allowed them to defer payment to manage FFP, they absolutely have to go back up this season otherwise they may well be the next Derby. If people want to throw mud as us for mismanaging and wasting money, then Fulham shouldn’t be a club that people look up to.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:46 am

Everyone slating Fulham, lets hope we are all right and they are wrong and fail to go up, as we will have egg on our faces. Realistic they have a much better chance than us of going up, thats for sure

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:52 am

So, Fulham dropped down from the Premier League and their first year of parachute payments from the top flight will see them net upwards of £40m. The same goes for West Brom and Sheffield United.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:26 pm

Blue78 wrote:The reality is that this club has always been on debt or struggling to generate income. Apart from the PL, every club has been massively impacted by COVID and will be for years to come - unless football actually takes this opportunity to govern itself properly.

I’m not sure what the rebrand has got to do with us being in debt - apart from the fact it was almost a decade ago, it doesn’t have any direct impact on our income.

As for wasting money on players - this is 100% the case. There has been a long list of players including under Warnock where we have absolutely messed it up. That is the case for most clubs though but our track record of spending ‘big’ and seeing a good player does feel more rare for us.

What I would hold against the board though is that the appointment of Harris was a shocker and always was. We had a team good enough to be in the play offs last season but a a manger who for half of it didn’t know what to do with them. They took far too long to make a decision on getting that was the wrong one in the first place to bring him in.

As for Fulham - they always spend big, always have and normally have it wrong. However if it is true that Liverpool have allowed them to defer payment to manage FFP, they absolutely have to go back up this season otherwise they may well be the next Derby. If people want to throw mud as us for mismanaging and wasting money, then Fulham shouldn’t be a club that people look up to.

And yet the two he actually spent on (harris) Moore and ng were amongst the better players last year?? Something went array for sure, what we will never know, but hardly just him to blame, warnock spent £5.5 m on a player, and not for what he was, but what he thought he could turn him into :banghead: a really bad and costly mistake, the rest is history.
Lastly, that last sentence is absolutely spot on :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:25 am

Igovernor wrote:
fred keenor wrote:

We will soon find out.

The window is not closing until the 31st. August, there will be more players coming in ;)

One in one out maybe. I’d be happy with that.