Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FINAL RESULT: TOMLIN & COLLINS UPFRONT: “ CCFC TODAY “

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:47 am

CARDIFF CITYS FIRST TEAM PLAY AT HOME TO LEAGUE 2 EXETER CITY TODAY :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tomlin & Collins start upfront & NG is back :bluebird: :bluebird:

Exeter take the lead twice, Cardiff draw level through Janes Collins
and then Mark Harris penalty pins visitors back again for Cardiff to draw 2-2 at Jone to League 2 Exeter.

City players were put through a very tough game and got another game behind them in fitness :bluebird: :bluebird:

James Collins scored his 4th goal in friendlies :bluebird: :bluebird:

Level at the break thanks to James Collins' fourth goal of pre-season :bluebird:

CARDIFF CITY 2 EXETER CITY 2
H-T 1-1

Cardiff City v Exeter City kicks off at 1pm on Saturday, July 24.

Smithies, NG, McGuinness, Flint, Nelson, Davies, Vaulks, Ralls, Whyte, Collins, Tomlin.

Subs: Phillips, Luthra, Bagan, Brown, Connolly, Denham, Jones, D’Almeida, Pack, Bowen, Patten, Giles, Harris.

:bluebird: “ So Far “ :bluebird:

:bluebird: :bluebird: “ ALL CCFC FIRST TEAM GAMES “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

BATH CITY 0 CARDIFF CITY 5

CARDIFF CITY 0 CAMBRIDGE 2

CARDIFF CITY 2 CAMBRIDGE 2

FOREST GREEN 1 CARDIFF CITY 2

CARDIFF CITY 2 EXETER 2

CARDIFF CITY SOUTHAMPTON

CARDIFF CITY NEWPORT COUNTY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ CCFC TODAY “

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:49 am

Sean Morrison, Josh Murphy, Perry Ng and Curtis Nelson all missed Tuesday's game with Forest Green Rovers, the first two have not featured at all in pre-season.

However, Mick McCarthy has said all four are in with a chance of playing against The Grecians and, if they don't, they should be available for Tuesday's game against Southampton.

MICK McCARTHY:

"They've just got little knocks," McCarthy said of the quartet.

"Perry is an ankle. I can't remember all the injuries, we've had so many!

"Perry will be looking if not Saturday then Tuesday. Sean if not Saturday then Tuesday, Josh similarly.

"They are all on their way back. There is nothing now with any significance that's going to keep them out.

"Well, I'm hoping that's the case."

International players Kieffer Moore, Rubin Colwill and Leandro Bacuna will not be available. They should return next week.

Meanwhile, Kieron Evans has also missed all of pre-season so far. It was thought that he would get a little run ahead of the new campaign, but he did his ankle ligaments blocking a shot in training.

He has started running again, though, and should be back within a couple of weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: TOMLIN & COLLINS UPFRONT: “ CCFC TODAY “

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:00 pm

A reminder of CardiffCity side currently involved at @CDFSportsCampus!

Smithies (25), Ng (38), McGuinness (2), Flint (5), Nelson (16), Davies (11), Vaulks (6), Ralls (8), Whyte (20), Collins (19), Tomlin (17).

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:01 pm

Exeter score , Jay 0-1 :cry:

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:02 pm

45min: GOAL!!! James Collins once again!

Great cross from @gavinwhyte8 and Collins lashes home at close range. (1-1) :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:06 pm

Exeter City score again 1-2 :cry:

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:07 pm

49 - City fall behind for a second time. Sweeney half volleying in from a corner kick. (1-2)

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:15 pm

58 - Good save from Smithies to deny Jay. (1-2)

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:15 pm

I know it’s all about fitness and getting minutes into the legs. But I still expect to see glimpses of a team that looks like they can compete next season. Is anyone else concerned about the lack of quality we’ve shown in pre season up to this point? The only player who looks like he’s got any creativity is Tomlin. And as for the midfield it’s looking pretty bleak.

Forgot to mention that Giles has actually looked promising at times also. And Whyte has looked decent when he’s played.
Last edited by Bluebird-in-Jackland on Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:16 pm

First #CardiffCity changes: Joel Bagan (3) & Mark Harris (29) replace Tom Davies (11) & Gavin Whyte (20).

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:22 pm

Another double change by the #Bluebirds - Sam Bowen (37) & Ryan Giles (26) replacing Lee Tomlin (17) & James Collins (19). (1-2)

2-2 :bluebird:

Harris brought down.

PENALTY

@sparkyharris11 gets up and takes the penalty, lashing home clinically to level the game. (2-2)

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:23 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:I know it’s all about fitness and getting minutes into the legs. But I still expect to see glimpses of a team that looks like they can compete next season. Is anyone else concerned about the lack of quality we’ve shown in pre season up to this point? The only player who looks like he’s got any creativity is Tomlin. And as for the midfield it’s looking pretty bleak.

Forgot to mention that Giles has actually looked promising at times also. And Whyte has looked decent when he’s played.

I have said I am very concerned / worried, but hope I am totally wrong.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:27 pm

75 - Three more City subs!

Taylor Jones (39), Marlon Pack (21) & Ciaron Brown (30) replace Perry Ng (38), Curtis Nelson (16) & Joe Ralls (8).

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:28 pm

Penalty shouts at the other end

Ralls brings down Sweeney inside the box after an apparent tangle of legs.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:33 pm

Exeter freekick

It's a chance for the visitors to curl one into the box.

That's exactly what they do, but Jones is there to clear.

Cardiff work the ball forward with a counter-attack a few moments later, and Giles gets a cross away from the right.

Turned behind for a corner.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:37 pm

80 - A midfield change as Keenan Patten (28) replaces Will Vaulks (6) for the final ten minutes

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:I know it’s all about fitness and getting minutes into the legs. But I still expect to see glimpses of a team that looks like they can compete next season. Is anyone else concerned about the lack of quality we’ve shown in pre season up to this point? The only player who looks like he’s got any creativity is Tomlin. And as for the midfield it’s looking pretty bleak.

Massively concerned. Mainly because the club, MM included, are selling the thought to the fans that we are going to at least be somewhat competitive this season.

It was clear to many fans before we started the poor pre season campaign that we would be this year's strugglers.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I must say that this is the first season I think I’ve ever been worried about our quality to compete in the championship. The is absolutely no creativity in this team, and I think it says a lot about how we’re going to play under McCarthy. And we haven’t even trialled different formations during pre season which is another alarming thing.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:52 pm

I know you can never really rely on pre season I think i remember Warnock saying he once lost every ore season game and ended up getting promoted . However we know what Moore , Morrison and Murphy offer and Colwill not 100% sure really as not had enough games Still i am concerned like may that we lack pace and creativity

Think we are in for a tough season unless we bring in more players who would fill spaces in the starting 11

Re: FINAL RESULT: TOMLIN & COLLINS UPFRONT: “ CCFC TODAY “

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:58 pm

Friendly mean nothing, the players never give 100% too scared of getting injured, all what matters is the 1st league game of the season

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:02 pm

And THIS is the squad MM was told to say HE was happy with???

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:03 pm

wez1927 wrote:Friendly mean nothing, the players never give 100% too scared of getting injured, all what matters is the 1st league game of the season

Whilst that is true, we still haven’t sorted the midfield out. Individually Packs, Ralls and Vaulks can all do a job, but they all have a tendency to sit too deep and look for the backwards pass first. Playing two of them together and we are just too slow and predictable.

We desperately need someone in the middle that can find balls forward with purpose - maybe that in Wintle, but then we are only one injury away from being back to square one.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:06 pm

Stop panicking.Different side with Keef in.
Still a few decent players to make an appearance.Plus if we can get a few out then maybe we'll get one or two in. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:17 pm

wez1927 wrote:Friendly mean nothing, the players never give 100% too scared of getting injured, all what matters is the 1st league game of the season

Possible line up

Phillips NG Bagan Morrison Nelson Ralls Giles Tomlin Wintle Murphy Moore

Subs

Smithies Flint Vaukes,Collins Pack,Vassell,Bacuna

Additional players

Maguiness, Brown Colwill Harris Whyte

Then all the youngsters coming through

Sam Bowen Denham Patten Zimba Davies etc

I think we have a better team than last season Wilson is the only loss and maybe Bennett but overall I think we are not too bad a squad ..

These Friendly games are always like this slow boring silly goals and results...let's give it 10 games in the league and then we will have a better idea..I think we are definitely top half but you never can tell at this stage

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:18 pm

stickywicket wrote:Stop panicking.Different side with Keef in.
Still a few decent players to make an appearance.Plus if we can get a few out then maybe we'll get one or two in. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

As good as Kieffer Moore is, he can't change the ability of those around him.

Even if we ship a few out ( and it'll be experience we ship put) we will by the look of it get sub standard replacements, if any at all.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:20 pm

The biggest concern for me is the defence without Morrison is a shambles. Centre mid same old issues Ralls and Vaulks look way off it.

On a positive note another goal for Collins and I can't wait to see him and Kieffer up front together. I think these 2 will be a very good partnership.

Giles has been very impressive. High energy but most importantly his delivery looks very good.

Gavin Whyte has a goal and assist but both against lower league opposition, this is what he needs to start doing in the championship his work rate has never been the issue just end product.

Lastly Lee Tomlin, early days but he's already showing he's the only player we have that can create something. I really hope he sticks at it and makes the fans myself included eat humble pie over the criticism he was given.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:25 pm

stickywicket wrote:Stop panicking.Different side with Keef in.

How about our defence against very low opposition ?

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Reply Twitter:

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:31 pm

corky wrote:

Possible line up

Subs

Additional players

I think we have a better team than last season Wilson is the only loss and maybe Bennett but overall I think we are not too bad a squad ..

These Friendly games are always like this slow boring silly goals and results...let's give it 10 games in the league and then we will have a better idea..I think we are definitely top half but you never can tell at this stage

I like that side with a few tweaks.

I would voice A few concerns however that we are a typical team that have a decent first 15 or so, but nothing deeper than that.

Secondly I think it is quite clear that MM will be told to drop a number of the youngsters into the first eleven or at the very least the first eighteen.

My team would be
Phillips
Flint, Morrison, Nelson
Ng vaulks Bacuna Giles
Tomlin
Moore Collins

Sub: Smithies, Sang, Ralls, Pack, Murphy, Brown, Vassell

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:33 pm

corky wrote:

Possible line up

Subs

Additional players

Agree I think we will still be hard to beat ,I tbink the other all squad us better this season