Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: FINAL RESULT: TOMLIN & COLLINS UPFRONT: “ CCFC TODAY “

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:23 pm

For me the next two friendlies will be more of an indication. I'd expect us to start the games with more or less the team that will start against Barnsley

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:30 pm

We struggle to draw with Exeter City and meanwhile, QPR are 4-1 up against Man Utd. I know it’s only pre-season but we look way off the pace.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:39 pm

Rhyswilli3303 wrote:We struggle to draw with Exeter City and meanwhile, QPR are 4-1 up against Man Utd. I know it’s only pre-season but we look way off the pace.

United fielded a team of kids

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Pencoed wrote:For me the next two friendlies will be more of an indication. I'd expect us to start the games with more or less the team that will start against Barnsley

I do agree with you :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:51 pm

Rhyswilli3303 wrote:We struggle to draw with Exeter City and meanwhile, QPR are 4-1 up against Man Utd. I know it’s only pre-season but we look way off the pace.

Watched man u game it was practically there u23

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:52 pm

Pencoed wrote:For me the next two friendlies will be more of an indication. I'd expect us to start the games with more or less the team that will start against Barnsley

Agree

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Man u concede 4 against QPR does losing against lower league teams mean they will struggle and the lower league teams will get promotion because they beat higher league team? Or does it only apply to city? Never understand why so much is put on what are basically training games ? I cant say I have known a team have poor pre season and carry it on on the league...... :o

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:36 pm

I watched the game today and have to say I was disappointed, albeit it was a pre-season friendly, some key plyers were misding and others still gaining fitness

Of particular note were Flint, who looked well short of pace, and Tomlin, who in similar vogue to ladt season, just seemed to amble around the middle of the pitch declining various opportunities to chsllenge or out in a tackle that was even a yard or two away

As I said, only a friendly, but the signs for some were not positive

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:47 pm

Sven wrote:I watched the game today and have to say I was disappointed, albeit it was a pre-season friendly, some key plyers were misding and others still gaining fitness

Of particular note were Flint, who looked well short of pace, and Tomlin, who in similar vogue to ladt season, just seemed to amble around the middle of the pitch declining various opportunities to chsllenge or out in a tackle that was even a yard or two away

Chris how hard do players actually try in these games especially the older experienced ones? If it was like the weather up here "very muggy" I certainly wouldn't be running a million Miles in a friendly game .

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:56 pm

Crap pre season results. If this is the standard we are playing too relegation is nailed on.
I am well aware that pre season games are nothing to go by but for gods sake Cambridge Utd and Exeter City.
MM pick your first team for the Southampton game so we can see where we really are.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:00 pm

Blueberry Jam wrote:Crap pre season results. If this is the standard we are playing too relegation is nailed on.
I am well aware that pre season games are nothing to go by but for gods sake Cambridge Utd and Exeter City.
MM pick your first team for the Southampton game so we can see where we really are.

So cambridge and Exeter nailed on for promotion then if city nailed on for relegation? If I was mm I'd play full under 23 side because if play 1st team and we lose you'll be in hysterics at thought of being relegated :D

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Agree it's only pre-seasons but the way the team is set up is woeful.it looks like there's no mid field the ball is passed side ways and backwards in our half then either over hit down the flanks and out of. Play .our idea of attacking is a lump ball forward hoping one our players will gain possession.if this is the pattern of play for the forthcoming season we are in trouble.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:37 pm

I assume I'm the only one who thoroughly enjoyed watching us in the first half then...

The negativity is shocking. I can only assume it's either young fans seeing their first pre season where we don't beat every side, but I'd be even more disappointed if the guys being "worried" about the season are actual adults who've supported us for years.

The season we got promoted, we lost 3-1 to Forest Green when we played mostly kids, and a couple fringe players. (Yeah we played first team players last week, but we won 2-1 so it's worth noting that we won...

The season we got promoted, these were our pre season results

2 Losses
3 Wins
1 Draw

Our 2021/22 Pre season results so far have been

2 wins
1 loss
2 draws

I'm sure somebody will be passionately debating this with me, bringing up that it's about the performance than it is the results. But at the end of the day, the performances are going to be a little rusty when we're trying out youngsters who've never seen any glimpse of mens football before now. Yet we're still grinding out draws and wins with our team consistently consisting of young players. Besides, As I said, I think the first half today was very enjoyable. Whyte and Tomlin superb, Ralls getting back to himself with some nice clever passes from midfield, and just an all round decent game other than the 2 mistakes for the goal. Again, the difference between a pre season game and a competitive championship fixture are miles apart. The goals we've conceded this pre season probably don't happen under Mccarthy in a game that matters.

Please can we not spend another season of negative, pessimistic "we're getting relegated" posts being dramatic about a team that Mick's only lost 3 competitive games with. Chill. Out. It's actually become a bit of an infamous meme on here now, when I talk to friends and they tell me they don't come on here because of how negative it is. I'm just saying, not having a go, would love a mood change on this forum, where at least half the posts are somewhat encouraging, and not as if I've joined a Derby message board.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:03 pm

Uniteds fan must be in meltdown...

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:08 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:I watched the game today and have to say I was disappointed, albeit it was a pre-season friendly, some key plyers were misding and others still gaining fitness

Chris how hard do players actually try in these games especially the older experienced ones? If it was like the weather up here "very muggy" I certainly wouldn't be running a million Miles in a friendly game .

Mate, it was positively sutmnal today and so far from yesterday...

I just thought Tomlin in particular looked lethargic but that may just be his style and I've just forgotten because it's been so long... :laughing6:

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Mate, it was positively sutmnal today and so far from yesterday...

I just thought Tomlin in particular looked lethargic but that may just be his style and I've just forgotten because it's been so long... :laughing6:

I thought he was just enjoying himself really. Like, confidence and taking his time but to pick out the right pass or make the right decision. I think your assessment of him is unfair, but appreciate maybe you saw things I didn't and/or vice versa

Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:31 am

DeepBlueFC2 wrote:I assume I'm the only one who thoroughly enjoyed watching us in the first half then...

The negativity is shocking. I can only assume it's either young fans seeing their first pre season where we don't beat every side, but I'd be even more disappointed if the guys being "worried" about the season are actual adults who've supported us for years.

The season we got promoted, we lost 3-1 to Forest Green when we played mostly kids, and a couple fringe players. (Yeah we played first team players last week, but we won 2-1 so it's worth noting that we won...

2 Losses
3 Wins
1 Draw

2 wins
1 loss
2 draws

I'm sure somebody will be passionately debating this with me, bringing up that it's about the performance than it is the results. But at the end of the day, the performances are going to be a little rusty when we're trying out youngsters who've never seen any glimpse of mens football before now. Yet we're still grinding out draws and wins with our team consistently consisting of young players. Besides, As I said, I think the first half today was very enjoyable. Whyte and Tomlin superb, Ralls getting back to himself with some nice clever passes from midfield, and just an all round decent game other than the 2 mistakes for the goal. Again, the difference between a pre season game and a competitive championship fixture are miles apart. The goals we've conceded this pre season probably don't happen under Mccarthy in a game that matters.

Please can we not spend another season of negative, pessimistic "we're getting relegated" posts being dramatic about a team that Mick's only lost 3 competitive games with. Chill. Out. It's actually become a bit of an infamous meme on here now, when I talk to friends and they tell me they don't come on here because of how negative it is. I'm just saying, not having a go, would love a mood change on this forum, where at least half the posts are somewhat encouraging, and not as if I've joined a Derby message board.

A commendable post with the football team at its heart. I say team not club.

Positivity is bred by the club. There has been precious little provided by the club to get fans on their feet.

Realism is a funny term as I believe I am being realistic, but then others will passionately feel the opposite.

I am a mad, die hard, travel the Country Cardiff City fan, and yes, an older fan who is worried. I've been there seen it in the past, and based on my experience can see where this season may be heading.

My prediction is a Newport draw and, for anyone reading, a victory over Southampton. Yes a victory, I believe we will flatter to deceive and everyone will suddenly go over board saying we are going to win the league.

We are being prepared by the club for a battle this year, and the club is hoping we cant see it.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:59 am

Barclay1 wrote:
DeepBlueFC2 wrote:I assume I'm the only one who thoroughly enjoyed watching us in the first half then...

2 Losses
3 Wins
1 Draw

2 wins
1 loss
2 draws

A commendable post with the football team at its heart. I say team not club.

Positivity is bred by the club. There has been precious little provided by the club to get fans on their feet.

Realism is a funny term as I believe I am being realistic, but then others will passionately feel the opposite.

I am a mad, die hard, travel the Country Cardiff City fan, and yes, an older fan who is worried. I've been there seen it in the past, and based on my experience can see where this season may be heading.

My prediction is a Newport draw and, for anyone reading, a victory over Southampton. Yes a victory, I believe we will flatter to deceive and everyone will suddenly go over board saying we are going to win the league.

We are being prepared by the club for a battle this year, and the club is hoping we cant see it.

You’re seriously telling me you’re worried about a relegation battle next season when we can put out a starting 11 like this? And it’s debatable anyway because I’m sure there’s other players people would prefer in the 11 considering we DO have a competitive squad with competition for places everywhere. I’m sorry but this squad looks very good to me. People worried that we don’t have loads of pace and loads of wingers. We played a 5-2-1-2 practically every game under McCarthy last season and almost averaged 2 points per game under him. What are we worried about? Our youngsters don’t have to play next season if we don’t want them too, we have plenty of options.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.