The Cardiff City breakout star / Will he be a Regular?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:50 am

Rubin Colwill

There is the breakout Bluebirds star of 2021.

Colwill who is 20 yrs old in 10 days time will be wanting to be a first team regular this season.

Friday 23rd July 2021

What a year it has been for the talented young forward, who started the season by sitting on the bench for the under-23s in a defeat by arch-rivals Swansea City but finished it away with Wales at Euro 2020.

It is a meteoric rise for the youngster, however he has been tipped from a young age to succeed at Cardiff City.

His towering, 6ft-plus frame has almost allowed him to stand out and it was one of the things which caught Mick McCarthy's eye straight away back in January.

"I watched him with the residual from the squad on Wednesday when he trained on Thursday and wow," McCarthy said of Colwill back in February.

"He stood out like a sore thumb. He's a really good presence. A big, powerful lad. But technically very good.

"And he looks like a bloke! I said to him today 'You'll be a big lad when you grow up'. He's like a fella in the dressing room."

The 19-year-old went on to make six first-team appearances at the back end of the season, switching between an attacking midfield position and out on the wing.

His performances for the Bluebirds earned him a spot in Wales' pre-Euros camp, where he impressed so much that Rob Page named him in his 26-man squad for the summer tournament.

After wowing McCarthy, Wales boss Page revealed that in that short space of time at The Vale and out in their Portugal training camp, the youngster blew the Wales coaching staff away.

"He's been a breath of fresh air since he's come in," Page said of Colwill ahead of the tournament.

"He just blew us all away with how he was and how he conducted himself. He's a top professional already and a great lad to have around the place.

"He's really impressed me, he's got a presence and maybe something we've not got in the middle of the park.

"He can play off the right, he can play as a 10, he can play in midfield - and that's a bonus as well when you're looking to pick a squad."

He is pacy enough, physical and likes to run at people. He is more direct than Tomlin and is perhaps something that Cardiff don't really have, Josh Murphy aside.

It's clear he has a bright future ahead and a summer of rubbing shoulders with Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey will have done the kid no harm whatsoever. It's an exciting prospect to think just what he can produce if afforded the game time this season.

Of course, blooding youngsters brings risks. And it's always unwise to lump lofty expectations on young players, no matter how talented.

Colwill has not scored a senior goal or even registered an assist yet, for club nor country, despite being prolific at youth level.

All that will come, of course, but entrusting a Championship rookie with the responsibility of being the main creative force in the side is a gamble.

All youngsters have to be given a chance, though, and this one seems to have more of a chance than most to breakthrough and succeed.

Whether he starts the season in front of Tomlin in the pecking order remains to be seen. But they are two very different players, at two very different stages of their career, and each offer something exciting.
Attachments
A69B3952-B4FA-4F9A-9DE4-F1F86139748B.jpeg
A69B3952-B4FA-4F9A-9DE4-F1F86139748B.jpeg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
FB07368A-381F-4DF9-831D-0CFB1BBC5C30.jpeg
FB07368A-381F-4DF9-831D-0CFB1BBC5C30.jpeg (361.8 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: The Cardiff City breakout star / Will he be a Regular?

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:52 am

So, it's Lee Tomlin & Rubin Colwill to battle it out for the No.10 spot (if McCarthy opts to play one).
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Scoularite » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Hope he's given the opportunity as he's looked like a real prospect. Aaron Ramsey was much younger when he moved to Arsenal, so his age shouldn't be a barrier.
Scoularite

Postby MR BIRCHGROVE » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:29 pm

I hope we give these young lads like Rubin a fair chance to grow into quality players this season.
It could pay off big time for us in the future!
MR BIRCHGROVE

Postby pontlliwblue » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:36 pm

Question is will the supporters be patient enough to allow him to grow into the side. If we're not knocking on the play off positions by Christmas the usual suspects will be calling for the managers head. Sometimes these players need a year or two to come through. Rather him over tomlin any day of the week mind.
pontlliwblue

Postby Sven » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Forever Blue wrote:So, it's Lee Tomlin & Rubin Colwill to battle it out for the No.10 spot (if McCarthy opts to play one).

I think Colwill will get the nod over Tomlin, as he is far more the type of player Mick McCarthy likes in his team
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby welshrarebit » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:43 pm

Plus being younger he should have more in the tank for the bulk of tbr game allowing tomlin to do his thing against tired defenders.
welshrarebit

Return to General Chat