Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Neil Alexander ‘

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:57 am

Former Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Alexander has left his post as Dundee United goalkeeping coach amid reports of a fallout with new manager Thomas Courts.

Ex-Scotland international Alexander is adored in these parts for his exploits between the sticks at the beginning of the century, making more than 200 appearances for the Bluebirds and earning promotion to what is now the Championship.

After ending his career at Livingston in 2018, the 43-year-old joined the coaching staff at Dundee United, however he has now left the club.

It comes after The Scottish Sun claimed it comes after a run-in with new manager Courts.

Alexander said in a statement: "It’s with great sadness that I’m no longer with Dundee United.

"I enjoyed my three years immensely and working with my goalkeepers everyday has been an absolute pleasure.

"I would like to wish the players all the best for the coming season. Hope it’s a successful one."

Re: ‘ Neil Alexander ‘

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:10 pm

And there is me thinking he was working, behind the scenes, on Englands Penalty Analysis Team :)

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:27 pm

"Scotland Scotland's Number One!"

I remember when he was left on the bench for ages one season when Lennie (I think :old: ) stubbornly insisted on picking Tony Warner in goals until eventually following a string of howlers he had to put Neil back in the team where he stayed for the rest of the season.

He had a fantastic reception on his first game back as well.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:08 pm

Great shame but there will always be a place for you at our club again whether thats just a visit or anything else.
He will always have a soft spot in the hearts of the Bluebirds. Because he was a great keeper for us.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:19 am

Sure it was Dave Jones!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:31 am

The Trooper wrote:Sure it was Dave Jones!

You might be right - my memory is not what it was I'm afraid

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:30 pm

davids wrote:
The Trooper wrote:Sure it was Dave Jones!

You might be right - my memory is not what it was I'm afraid

More than likely it was Dave Jones as the two fell out over his treatment of I think Rhys Weston, so the dropping of Alexander was more probably more personal than on form.

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:34 pm

Neil was my favourite player, absolutely broke my heart when he left, it was Dave Jones. i seem to remember reading something about, how he, and a few others agreed to a new contract on less money, to sign Darren Purse i think it was, and that they were promised they would be given better deals once the clubs finances were sorted, and then Jones went and signed several players.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:31 am

Always gave 100% and a great keeper.