LGBT+ Supporters Group

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LGBT+ Supporters Group

Postby ProudBluebirds » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:38 pm

We are looking for LGBT+ City fans to be a part of the club's first ever LGBT+ supporters network. The club are very keen to support the idea & are looking at a launch early in the new season. A number of other teams across the country have long running and successful supporters groups such as the Gay Gooners & Proud Lilywhites. Already since launching the Twitter profile we've had fans get in touch who are keen on the idea having been put off coming to matches due to homophobia and/or transphobia

If you're interested give us a follow on Twitter @Proudbluebirds or drop us an email on proudbluebirds@gmail.com
ProudBluebirds

LGBT+ Supporters Group

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: LGBT+ Supporters Group

Postby Big Hill Blue » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:12 pm

Can't you just be a supporter?
Big Hill Blue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:43 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:Can't you just be a supporter?

Yup. All supporters are as one in my eyes. :bluescarf:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby stentona » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:47 pm

We're all bluebirds. Too much division in society as there is :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
stentona

Postby ProudBluebirds » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:08 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Glad to hear it. Sadly not everyone agrees. Would love for LGBT+ Supporters groups to not be needed, but as long as there is homophobia and transphobia within football, groups like ours are needed.
ProudBluebirds

Postby Nuclearblue » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:12 pm

So lets get this right !! The gay movement has been campaigning for decades to be treated as equals and quite rightly so. Now you have got that and let’s say it’s very much accepted in today world you now want to go back and make it you and us again ? To be separated from the population. Now why can’t you make your mind up you want to be equal or not ?
So shall we have a straight supporters group as well ? Maybe we should have ethnic supporters groups ? Tell you what why don’t you just join the Cardiff City supporters group and stop creating division. You campaign you don’t want division but here you are lobbying for it.
You can’t make this shit up
Nuclearblue

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:31 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:So lets get this right !! The gay movement has been campaigning for decades to be treated as equals and quite rightly so. Now you have got that and let’s say it’s very much accepted in today world you now want to go back and make it you and us again ? To be separated from the population. Now why can’t you make your mind up you want to be equal or not ?
So shall we have a straight supporters group as well ? Maybe we should have ethnic supporters groups ? Tell you what why don’t you just join the Cardiff City supporters group and stop creating division. You campaign you don’t want division but here you are lobbying for it.

Absolutely spot on Nukes :thumbright: :bluebird:

I am fed up of all this, everyone wants equal rights so let’s just get on with life and everyone accept everyone as equal without having to have different groups / names this just divides .

Next thing you know someone will want a BLM Cardiff Supporters group.

Cardiff City are as one and that’s how we should remain :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:56 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:So lets get this right !! The gay movement has been campaigning for decades to be treated as equals and quite rightly so. Now you have got that and let’s say it’s very much accepted in today world you now want to go back and make it you and us again ? To be separated from the population. Now why can’t you make your mind up you want to be equal or not ?

I couldn’t agree more, well said.
All a load of bollocks.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby nubbsy » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:17 pm

What is wrong with the supporters club that already exsists? They welcome all fans regardless of race, religion or sexuality. That's what true inclusiveness looks like - everyone together under the same banner with equal opportunity.
nubbsy

Postby Pencoed » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:53 pm

If it makes some people more comfortable/happy supporting city then good luck.
Pencoed

Postby Jock » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:39 am

ProudBluebirds wrote:We are looking for LGBT+ City fans to be a part of the club's first ever LGBT+ supporters network. The club are very keen to support the idea & are looking at a launch early in the new season. A number of other teams across the country have long running and successful supporters groups such as the Gay Gooners & Proud Lilywhites. Already since launching the Twitter profile we've had fans get in touch who are keen on the idea having been put off coming to matches due to homophobia and/or transphobia

If you're interested give us a follow on Twitter @Proudbluebirds or drop us an email on proudbluebirds@gmail.com

As has been said just support the team, critical theory and identify politics are a cancerous social divide. Cardiff City brings people together in a United cause, supporting the team. Separating people on racial, religious, political or sexuality is so 1930s Germany.
Jock

Postby wez1927 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:51 am

Agree
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby Wayne S » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:00 am

As per, out come all the white, middle aged, heterosexual males suggesting there is nothing wrong with the world and if you want to be treated the same, be the same.

You can (say) all you want that there IS equality but you speak from (what you perceive to be) a high vaulted position.

We need equity before equality and that is absolutely nowhere near happening.

You say in public everyone is equal but behind closed doors that opinion is very, very much NOT the case for others. It is just lip service to try and quell any movement from getting a foothold in society.

LGBT+ and Racial Equality movements STILL heavily face into adversity in society and it is groups like this that give them a platform to help each other and feel safe when undertaking activities that WE take for granted.

You can bleat on about there being equality all you want but you are blind if you think there is not a section of society that would openly abuse individuals for the colour of their skin or their sexual preference.
Wayne S

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:46 am

Wayne S wrote:As per, out come all the white, middle aged, heterosexual males suggesting there is nothing wrong with the world and if you want to be treated the same, be the same.

You can (say) all you want that there IS equality but you speak from (what you perceive to be) a high vaulted position.

You say in public everyone is equal but behind closed doors that opinion is very, very much NOT the case for others. It is just lip service to try and quell any movement from getting a foothold in society.

LGBT+ and Racial Equality movements STILL heavily face into adversity in society and it is groups like this that give them a platform to help each other and feel safe when undertaking activities that WE take for granted.

You can bleat on about there being equality all you want but you are blind if you think there is not a section of society that would openly abuse individuals for the colour of their skin or their sexual preference.

If that is the case then go after the section of society which is openly abusing individuals for their skin colour/sexual preference.

What I don't understand is how more division (creating certain groups dependent on identity) helps to make a more equal society. You yourself have made a bigoted statement in the first line of your post

"As per, out come all the white, middle aged, heterosexual males suggesting there is nothing wrong with the world and if you want to be treated the same, be the same."

You 'identify' white middle aged, heterosexual males as being a problem area. I would argue you are completely wrong. White, middle aged, heterosexual males are probably the most discriminated against group in the UK. No-one makes open disparaging remarks about Gay, transsexual or racial groups in an open forum but it is quite acceptable to target white middle aged heterosexual males.

The real problem is there are too many identity groups causing division. We are already seeing those groups clash with each other Women's rights vs. Transsexual or Religious rights vs. Gay rights etc.

There are too many people with vested interests in identity politics and are making huge amounts of money from it. That's were we need to route out problems of equality instead of just blaming the same group for all the worlds ills.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am

ProudBluebirds wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Glad to hear it. Sadly not everyone agrees. Would love for LGBT+ Supporters groups to not be needed, but as long as there is homophobia and transphobia within football, groups like ours are needed.

Groups like yours are not needed in football. I have never seen or heard true homophobia or transphobia at a football match. I'm sure you could come up with examples of oversensitivity but we all have something we have to bear (in my case being fat and ugly) but I don't expect an identity group to be formed which goes around claiming football supporters have a phobia to my appearance.

Instead I go to football matches to be entertained I don't go to have Political Correctness thrown down my throat.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby stentona » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:37 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
ProudBluebirds wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Groups like yours are not needed in football. I have never seen or heard true homophobia or transphobia at a football match. I'm sure you could come up with examples of oversensitivity but we all have something we have to bear (in my case being fat and ugly) but I don't expect an identity group to be formed which goes around claiming football supporters have a phobia to my appearance.

Instead I go to football matches to be entertained I don't go to have Political Correctness thrown down my throat.

Here bl##dy here :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
stentona

Postby ProudBluebirds » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:00 pm

Have any of you seen the Gareth Thomas v Homophobia documentary (2017) and its followup 2 years later? Definitely worth a watch. I can't find the original but the follow-up is available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJh4uPg4YYo

He talks about his experience of a homophobic attack when he was out in town, and only this week we've seen reports of another homophobic attack on the streets of Cardiff.

The 1930s Germany comment is, tbh, about as ridiculous as you can get. There is no comparison between free association of minority groups and government rounding minorities up and systematically murdering them.

We're not here blaming one particular group, be they white, straight, male, and we're certainly not here to push a "political" agenda. This is about acceptance and allowing people to feel safe at a football match. Society's attitudes towards LGBT people has changed and is continuing to change but there is a lot of work still to be done.
ProudBluebirds

Postby Jock » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Wayne S wrote:As per, out come all the white, middle aged, heterosexual males suggesting there is nothing wrong with the world and if you want to be treated the same, be the same.

Absolute fekkin shite, stop listening to blinkered idiotic academics. Nobody gives a shite what your sexual preferences are, it has nothing to do with supporting the City. Your post is full of cliched extreme left buzzwords and phrases. Equality, equity, middle aged white male and my own personal favorite High vaulted position :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jock

Postby Jock » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:14 pm

ProudBluebirds wrote:Have any of you seen the Gareth Thomas v Homophobia documentary (2017) and its followup 2 years later? Definitely worth a watch. I can't find the original but the follow-up is available here:

He talks about his experience of a homophobic attack when he was out in town, and only this week we've seen reports of another homophobic attack on the streets of Cardiff.

The 1930s Germany comment is, tbh, about as ridiculous as you can get. There is no comparison between free association of minority groups and government rounding minorities up and systematically murdering them.

We're not here blaming one particular group, be they white, straight, male, and we're certainly not here to push a "political" agenda. This is about acceptance and allowing people to feel safe at a football match. Society's attitudes towards LGBT people has changed and is continuing to change but there is a lot of work still to be done.

Problem IMHO is there’s a Laffer Curve to all this, constantly pushing the alphabet soup BAME BLM LBGT line ultimately sickens people.
Jock

Postby WestCoastBlue » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:14 pm

I must've missed the ghettos being set up where the less pure are being sent by the Leeds and Arsenal gay groups :o Why's Nukes not complained about that not being reported by the MSM?

Bit of an OTT reaction isn't it? People like doing things with people of similar lifestyles/interests. At work I'd hang out and chat with the football fans and rock n roll listeners. I wouldn't go near the girl with a horse and Justin Bieber collection cause we have nothing in common. The mates I go to the pub/football/cinema/park/etc with are my mates cause we've got lots in common and can relate to eachother.

The more fans the merrier, if there's people who have been put off going to live football matches I don't see any harm in setting up a means to get them interested.
WestCoastBlue

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:26 pm

ProudBluebirds wrote:Have any of you seen the Gareth Thomas v Homophobia documentary (2017) and its followup 2 years later? Definitely worth a watch. I can't find the original but the follow-up is available here:

I have been attacked on the streets before now but no-one offered to make a documentary about it. Unfortunately society is full of pricks who pick on people violently (Chris Whitty comes to mind) that doesn't mean we need another 'identity' group to put a stop to it.

What we need is a proper Police force and Criminal Justice System to deal with people like that.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:30 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:I must've missed the ghettos being set up where the less pure are being sent by the Leeds and Arsenal gay groups :o Why's Nukes not complained about that not being reported by the MSM?

Bit of an OTT reaction isn't it? People like doing things with people of similar lifestyles/interests. At work I'd hang out and chat with the football fans and rock n roll listeners. I wouldn't go near the girl with a horse and Justin Bieber collection cause we have nothing in common. The mates I go to the pub/football/cinema/park/etc with are my mates cause we've got lots in common and can relate to eachother.

The more fans the merrier, if there's people who have been put off going to live football matches I don't see any harm in setting up a means to get them interested.

Well to open your eyes the harm caused is called division, i.e. putting one group ahead of all others. Football should be a political free experience and supporters should-not be subjected to brainwashing because someone else has a vested agenda
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:34 pm

Personally I think it’s a good idea but aslong as it’s safe space, as that is one thing I’d be concerned with is standing out and being vulnerable to verbal and physical abuse. At the end of the day it’s nothing to do with causing division, it’s about providing a safe space for LGBT+ people as let’s face it, there is still along way to go in terms of equality. For people who aren’t part of the lgbt+ community it may not be obvious to all but people are at a much higher risk of self harm and suicide and that’s just the start. If a women who is transgender for example walked into football pub are you telling me they wouldn’t get anyone making comments, no verbal or physical abuse? Would you happily sit next to them on the travel coach and have a conversation without feeling uncomfortable? My friend who is trans receives hate comments or avoidance pretty much everytime she goes somewhere. Why aren’t their any footballers out in the PL or championship? Afraid of fans?

Thankfully there are many people who aren’t homophobic, biphobic or transphobic and times have moved on with more awareness and less fear instilled by the media, TV and hate groups than there used to be. If something doesn’t affect someone of course people can be entitled to an opinion but not at the expense of hate. It always amazes me when people ask why do we need a pride? Well if someone has to ask that question, there’s clearly a lot more to be done.

It’s easy to brush something aside when it doesn’t affect you and we all guilty of it but as someone who has grown up with verbal and physical abuse as a result of being from the lgbt community and the lasting affect that it has had on my mental health and self esteem is crippling in many things that I do. Not everyone will agree and even within the lgbt community itself there are differences in opinion but when I see a rainbow flag or rainbow laces or whatever it is, to me it’s a symbol that I’m ok, I’m safe, I can be me, I have a friend or alley I am not going to be attacked. It about safety and being accepted for me. It definetely not about division.

This is just my opinion and others will have different experiences.
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:40 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:I must've missed the ghettos being set up where the less pure are being sent by the Leeds and Arsenal gay groups :o Why's Nukes not complained about that not being reported by the MSM?

Well to open your eyes the harm caused is called division, i.e. putting one group ahead of all others. Football should be a political free experience and supporters should-not be subjected to brainwashing because someone else has a vested agenda

Political? Putting one group ahead of another? I’m not political just because I am from the lgbt community. I’m just a fan who wants to feel accepted ans safe and for the majority I do but seeing support from inside the club and others it would make it a lot more comfortable - almost like someone is saying your accepted here it’s fine. This isn’t about putting one group ahead of another? Not sure what you mean here but it certainly isn’t about division.
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby WestCoastBlue » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:42 pm

But where has OP mentioned putting his group ahead of others?
He's not advocated for the club to give them free tickets or priority to big games. Nor are they getting behind the scenes access to areas of the club unavailable to you or I. There's no special preferential treatment that he's getting over you.

And where's the division?
Why is a group of LGBT fans gathering together to go to games different to a group of fans from the old Soul Crew, or when specific pubs organise their own busses to away games, or a group of schoolkids going by themselves without their parents, or having a designated family stand, singing stand and corporate seats?

What aspects of your regular Cardiff City matchday experience will change due to this fan group being created?
WestCoastBlue

Postby AfricanBluebird » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:24 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:

But where has OP mentioned putting his group ahead of others?
He's not advocated for the club to give them free tickets or priority to big games. Nor are they getting behind the scenes access to areas of the club unavailable to you or I. There's no special preferential treatment that he's getting over you.

And where's the division?
Why is a group of LGBT fans gathering together to go to games different to a group of fans from the old Soul Crew, or when specific pubs organise their own busses to away games, or a group of schoolkids going by themselves without their parents, or having a designated family stand, singing stand and corporate seats?

What aspects of your regular Cardiff City matchday experience will change due to this fan group being created?

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

Creating sub groups isn't creating division, it's just strengthening different communities of people supporting the club.

If it creates a community of city supporters who feel more comfortable in grouping together and supporting the club then I'm all for it.

If an LGBT+ person is reluctant to come along to watch city due to the worry of homophobia, then they may be more likely to come along if they know there are others like them who go.

This group isn't forcing people to join them, are not dividing fans, are not asking for special treatment... So I don't see what's the problem.

I have a gay friend who comes to watch city. She would absolutely not join this group but thinks it is a good idea for fans who would feel more comfortable

And what are we really talking about... a WhatsApp group, perhaps meeting for a drink before games, encouraging more LGBTQ+ people to attend games... Surely that's a wonderful thing.
AfricanBluebird

Postby A Quiet Monkfish » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:43 pm

ProudBluebirds wrote:We are looking for LGBT+ City fans to be a part of the club's first ever LGBT+ supporters network. The club are very keen to support the idea & are looking at a launch early in the new season. A number of other teams across the country have long running and successful supporters groups such as the Gay Gooners & Proud Lilywhites. Already since launching the Twitter profile we've had fans get in touch who are keen on the idea having been put off coming to matches due to homophobia and/or transphobia

Really ?
A Quiet Monkfish

Postby powysblue » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:52 pm

THIS

I cannot understand why, Especially in The United Kingdom, so called Minority groups want to be known and treated differently. I always treat people who are generally ok with me with general respect.

A tw*t is a tw*t no matter whether they are white, black, christian, Muslim, Chinese, Indian, or any other label they wish to put on themselves.

labels just cause division - "them and us" should be "you and me" and I certainly do not live in a perceived utopia. Life is hard but please do not use it to push the agenda.

Just my opinion :old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s
powysblue

Postby Jock » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:30 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:

Political? Putting one group ahead of another? I’m not political just because I am from the lgbt community. I’m just a fan who wants to feel accepted ans safe and for the majority I do but seeing support from inside the club and others it would make it a lot more comfortable - almost like someone is saying your accepted here it’s fine. This isn’t about putting one group ahead of another? Not sure what you mean here but it certainly isn’t about division.

There’s been incidents in an LA Spa where men self identifying as women have entered the woman’s section and walked around with their (male) genitals on show to women and children. The women who complained were told it’s an LGTB friendly spa. So if that’s not putting one group (trans) in front of another what is?
Jock

Postby WestCoastBlue » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:35 pm

Jock wrote:
Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:

There’s been incidents in an LA Spa where men self identifying as women have entered the woman’s section and walked around with their (male) genitals on show to women and children. The women who complained were told it’s an LGTB friendly spa. So if that’s not putting one group (trans) in front of another what is?

How does an LGBT spa in America have any bearing on an LGBT football fans group in Cardiff? Are you expecting them to turn up to games naked?
WestCoastBlue

Next

Return to General Chat