Furlough - The Reality of the Fallout

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby TheHangedMan » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:22 am

This is not a preamble to scare people.....it is just an observation of a guy who runs a payroll company who is at the sharp end of JRS (Job Retetion Scheme) Claims for Employers.

For those who don't know, I run a payroll company with approx. 250 clients.

For the last year my company has been processing JRS Claims (furlough claims for the employees on behalf of the Employer to HMRC). The majority of these claims have been for employees on "flexible furlough" since the flexi furlough scheme was introduced.

Whilst I cannot claim that my Clients cover every sector of industry, they do range from hairdressers to plumbers to fabricators to oil drillers to survival trainers to pilots of helicopters in the North Sea, they are quite diverse and range from 1 employee to 125 per company.

A lot of employees from the larger companies were in August 2020, made redundant, a good excuse to get rid of the dead wood. The next cull is coming in July/August this year when companies have to pay more of the cost of furloughed employees.

The saddest thing I will see, and I know it's coming, is the smaller companies who may have 4 employees, and they have already said 2 will have to go when furlough ends.

I feel for people who think they have had a free holiday and then realise, through no fault of their own, they are out of work. I guess this is when the pressure will be redirected to the numpties in Government! :bluebird:
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Furlough - The Reality of the Fallout

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:09 am

Fortunately there is evidence that the jobs market is recovering.

However, there is going to be a lot of pain before the economy fully recovers.

Personally I would send China a £500billion bill
Tony Blue Williams

Postby robjohn » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:16 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Fortunately there is evidence that the jobs market is recovering.

However, there is going to be a lot of pain before the economy fully recovers.

Personally I would send China a £500billion bill

The Elites have sold us out to China they have no country or loyalty to anyone yanks funded the research in the lab

we now live in a world where are freedoms have gone forever.

we have more hell coming when the stock market crashes which it will we are truely effed.
robjohn

Postby Blueman39 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:49 am

The hidden figure as well is that 288,000 self employed are no longer trading according to gov figures.
I work in property maintenance and the crazy part is that some people on furlough have spent loads on their house etc when they don’t know if they have had a job to back to.
Added to the increase in benefits of £20 per week and the bill is going to take along time to settle.
I know from a mate who employs 43 people that when furlough ends, if hotels and restaurants etc are not fully open and trading , he is going to close down and start again with just 3 people on a much smaller scale .
Blueman39

Postby Wayne S » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:50 am

There is still a large financial support for furloughed employees right through to October and the scheme itself has been a job saver for many.

I assume the "Numpties" line is to do with dealing with lockdown as I think the furlough schemes has been successful.

I think I am right in saying that the 80% government paid salary will reduce to 70% for July and then 60% for August and September. With the hope being that nearly all companies will be partially up and running again.

Are you seeing any industries that will still be fully closed down come August / September?

Remember that Self-employed individuals will still get 80% SEISS right through to October
Wayne S

Postby TheHangedMan » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:10 am

Wayne S wrote:There is still a large financial support for furloughed employees right through to October and the scheme itself has been a job saver for many.

I assume the "Numpties" line is to do with dealing with lockdown as I think the furlough schemes has been successful.

I think I am right in saying that the 80% government paid salary will reduce to 70% for July and then 60% for August and September. With the hope being that nearly all companies will be partially up and running again.

Are you seeing any industries that will still be fully closed down come August / September?

Remember that Self-employed individuals will still get 80% SEISS right through to October

With all due respct Wayne, I'm saying the fully furoughed jobs will disappear.

Companies will cut their cloth accordingly. In fairness to most that I have dealt with they have paid a price for furloughing staff that will not return.

If they survive after that....the jury is still out! :bluebird:
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby skidemin » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:19 am

Wayne S wrote:There is still a large financial support for furloughed employees right through to October and the scheme itself has been a job saver for many.

yep...you make it sound as if its been just one long holiday :?
skidemin

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:28 am

Undoubtedly some companies will use this as reason to cut jobs I've seen it done even with workers who had to shield being let go.... but the other thing reported us due to nature of the scheme people could have 2nd job while furloughed and these people are leaving original job so going to be a bit of swings and round abouts regarding jobs.... plenty of hospitality jobs going as people got other jobs in supermarkets and nhs and don't want the long hours of hospitality...
pembroke allan

Postby Wayne S » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:32 pm

skidemin wrote:
Wayne S wrote:There is still a large financial support for furloughed employees right through to October......

That was absolutely not my intention AT ALL.

I was trying to project that there is enough support for businesses to keep on employees until they are fully back in business.

I assure you I am fully aware, first hand, that the longer furlough went on the more chance there was for staff to lose their jobs and it was no way a holiday.
Wayne S

Postby skidemin » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Wayne S wrote:There is still a large financial support for furloughed employees right through to October......

I was trying to project that there is enough support for businesses to keep on employees until they are fully back in business.

I assure you I am fully aware, first hand, that the longer furlough went on the more chance there was for staff to lose their jobs and it was no way a holiday.

people have lost their businesses and even homes and many receiving furlough now will not have jobs to go back too..... some businesses have been supported adequately , some have done very well out of this but others not so.... i know of 3rd generation businesses that are not going to survive and plenty who have kept furloughing staff they know full well they will not need for years if ever....i hope its not going to be as bad i i think it might be.. but the its ok as business is being supported and we have furlough just isnt correct....
skidemin

Postby Wayne S » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 pm

skidemin wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:

people have lost their businesses and even homes and many receiving furlough now will not have jobs to go back too..... some businesses have been supported adequately , some have done very well out of this but others not so.... i know of 3rd generation businesses that are not going to survive and plenty who have kept furloughing staff they know full well they will not need for years if ever....i hope its not going to be as bad i i think it might be.. but the its ok as business is being supported and we have furlough just isnt correct....

Yeah, I'm obviously not getting my point across at all. I am totally with you concerning the cost that has already been felt.

I am (trying) to say that, I (HOPE) there is enough support still for businesses to keep the staff they still have until we are through this.

Obviously the extended lockdown is not helping and can only hope that businesses can start again when some sort of normality returns.

I'm not sure what else could have been done financially to support businesses. It's tha management of the pandemic itself that caused the extended issues with businesses.
Wayne S

Postby TheHangedMan » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:13 am

Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Yeah, I'm obviously not getting my point across at all. I am totally with you concerning the cost that has already been felt.

I am (trying) to say that, I (HOPE) there is enough support still for businesses to keep the staff they still have until we are through this.

Obviously the extended lockdown is not helping and can only hope that businesses can start again when some sort of normality returns.

I'm not sure what else could have been done financially to support businesses. It's tha management of the pandemic itself that caused the extended issues with businesses.

I agree with you Wayne on the point that the furlough scheme has worked well and kept people in employment.

My fear is, and fuelled by business owners who are now asking me questions about furlough percentages and the cost to their companies, that the hammer is hovering and will ultimately come down.

My guesstimate, with the companies that I serve, will be about 75% - 80% of the original workforce will be retained.

I hope I am wrong but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. :bluebird:
TheHangedMan

Postby Bluebina » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:11 am

TheHangedMan wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I agree with you Wayne on the point that the furlough scheme has worked well and kept people in employment.

My fear is, and fuelled by business owners who are now asking me questions about furlough percentages and the cost to their companies, that the hammer is hovering and will ultimately come down.

My guesstimate, with the companies that I serve, will be about 75% - 80% of the original workforce will be retained.

It's sad but that sounds about right, it's given lots of business's a time to restructure and work out what they need. Hopefully if the bounce back is as quick as they are predicating a lot of them will be reemploying staff in the years ahead.

It's been a good time for your builder and landscaping clients hasn't it?

Everywhere I go there is work going on and every other post on FB is someone asking for a builder!
Bluebina

Postby JimmyJazz » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 am

Bluebina wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:

It's sad but that sounds about right, it's given lots of business's a time to restructure and work out what they need. Hopefully if the bounce back is as quick as they are predicating a lot of them will be reemploying staff in the years ahead.

Everywhere I go there is work going on and every other post on FB is someone asking for a builder!

How true is this!! Been trying to locate a plumber for months, non-urgent, might be lucky with the 4th one who said they would do the job - the first 3 never turned up or confirmed. Just looking around there are lots of home improvements going on - frankly, I'm really pleased for the building trade that they have had a small upside out of this, even if the plumber dept has been shoddy on turning up :roll: Carpenter replaced all our internal doors recently, told me he has never had so much work on is books! I guess no one going on holiday combined with everyone stuck at home, is driving the increase in this I suppose.
My father missed the cup final in 1927 as my grandad only had 2 tickets, and my Dad had an older brother!
JimmyJazz

Postby skidemin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:04 pm

Bluebina wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:

restructure... for those worse effected its been stop start stop semi start stop for 15 months...more a case of guessing than restructuring... personally had i known 15 months ago where we would be now i would be financially much better off.. i based decisions on 3 months, then 6 , then xmas, then spring and now here we are still not really knowing what next or for how long... .not complaining about finances too much because i am in a position where i can retire and i know plenty worse off than i am. but how does anyone make informed decisions without information.... and for that reason i think the restructuring line is a bit of a myth... . your 100 per cent correct on builders and gardeners etc ... but all this spare income from furlough and grants along with not holidaying, not socialising and buying clothes for both etc ? how long does that last and all this renovating and patio laying now, is it extra or is it the work they would otherwise be doing over the next 2/3 years ... for some its been impossible to make medium let alone long term plans and looking forward ... will freedom day actually happen...if so how long will it last ..will there be more lockdowns. restrictions . ? none of us know
really hope that we get back to proper normal long term and there is an enormous bounce back... but im doubting it more and more as time goes on... not least of all because how easy politicians are now finding it to play simon says with the population... they are not even bothering saying that they are following the science anymore
skidemin

Postby Bluebina » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:17 am

skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
skidemin wrote:

restructure... for those worse effected its been stop start stop semi start stop for 15 months...more a case of guessing than restructuring... personally had i known 15 months ago where we would be now i would be financially much better off.. i based decisions on 3 months, then 6 , then xmas, then spring and now here we are still not really knowing what next or for how long... .not complaining about finances too much because i am in a position where i can retire and i know plenty worse off than i am. but how does anyone make informed decisions without information.... and for that reason i think the restructuring line is a bit of a myth... . your 100 per cent correct on builders and gardeners etc ... but all this spare income from furlough and grants along with not holidaying, not socialising and buying clothes for both etc ? how long does that last and all this renovating and patio laying now, is it extra or is it the work they would otherwise be doing over the next 2/3 years ... for some its been impossible to make medium let alone long term plans and looking forward ... will freedom day actually happen...if so how long will it last ..will there be more lockdowns. restrictions . ? none of us know
really hope that we get back to proper normal long term and there is an enormous bounce back... but im doubting it more and more as time goes on... not least of all because how easy politicians are now finding it to play simon says with the population... they are not even bothering saying that they are following the science anymore

The quicker the whole population is vaccinated the quicker we can all get back to normal because the double vaccinated are significantly less likely to get the virus and pass it on, unless the anti-vaxxers get their way they seem to want this way of life to carry on :thumbup:
Bluebina

Postby A Quiet Monkfish » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:36 am

We're living in seriously strange financial times. Companies trading for £ multi billions that haven't made a profit and have no fixed assets. Government debt at anything up to £3 trillion. Another £6 trillion in pension liabilities. Inflation - maybe- set to rise significantly. Yet it seems the economy is bouncing along just fine.
I think the government is now reached the point, along with other major nations, that prudent, balanced economics are pointless in the face of those numbers - best just keep everything ticking along nicely until it's someone else's problems. Another million unemployed sounds horrendous, and it's highly possible later in the year, but it's not likely to bother the government unduly, even from a political angle, as it's all 'down to COVID'..
A Quiet Monkfish

Postby Sven » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:07 am

skidemin wrote:

Step in B£ue £agoon; the Forum's Martin Lewis and Judith Chalmers rolled into one (not a nice sight, I'm sure)

On a more serious note, I feel for anyone on furlough who are just being hoodwinked by their employers through no real fault of either party; the companies that have lost so much business and revenue. The Hanged Man seems to have an inside knowledge and there will certainly be some pain before gain

Hard to apportion 'blame' or to say employers are using the furlough end as an 'excuse' to shred jobs, as those who have kept people on under furlough may well have done those employees and their families a favour in recent months

I wish anyone affected good luck and a speedy return to employment :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby TheHangedMan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:20 pm

Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Step in B£ue £agoon; the Forum's Martin Lewis and Judith Chalmers rolled into one (not a nice sight, I'm sure)

On a more serious note, I feel for anyone on furlough who are just being hoodwinked by their employers through no real fault of either party; the companies that have lost so much business and revenue. The Hanged Man seems to have an inside knowledge and there will certainly be some pain before gain

Hard to apportion 'blame' or to say employers are using the furlough end as an 'excuse' to shred jobs, as those who have kept people on under furlough may well have done those employees and their families a favour in recent months

Bang on the nail Chris, after running the June payroll figures for my larger companies (50-100 employees), the hammer falls. Furlough drops to 70% government 10% employer in July and then 60%-20% August & September when the scheme ends.

I've been asked to prepare redundancy notices for 8-10% of employees for 3 different companies, their employment will cease at the end of July.......saddening. :cry:

It's such a waste, the main problem being the business uncertainty of us getting back to normality. This Government have blood on their hands, and unfortunately have, and continue to, ruined many lives.

These businesses believed the Government at the back end of last year inferring that the vaccine was the silver bullet......we are no further forward regarding normal freedoms and unfortunately many will pay with their jobs through no fault of their own. :bluebird:
TheHangedMan

Postby Sven » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:32 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Bang on the nail Chris, after running the June payroll figures for my larger companies (50-100 employees), the hammer falls. Furlough drops to 70% government 10% employer in July and then 60%-20% August & September when the scheme ends.

I've been asked to prepare redundancy notices for 8-10% of employees for 3 different companies, their employment will cease at the end of July.......saddening. :cry:

It's such a waste, the main problem being the business uncertainty of us getting back to normality. This Government have blood on their hands, and unfortunately have, and continue to, ruined many lives.

These businesses believed the Government at the back end of last year inferring that the vaccine was the silver bullet......we are no further forward regarding normal freedoms and unfortunately many will pay with their jobs through no fault of their own. :bluebird:

Thank you and you know I always read your posts with interest. I don't always reply because my knowledge of the subject area id (to be polite) limited; but on this occasion your post struck a chord and to me it is clear that this is one f@@@ed up situation that will hurt a lot of people on both sides (employer and employee)

Clearly some will use any situation to their own nefarious advantage but my heart goes out to all those genuine and sincere people involved
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Return to General Chat