Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mick McCarthy: " Kieffer Moore £20million "

Thu May 06, 2021 2:25 pm

Excited Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy admits it will be all change this summer as he makes £20m Kieffer Moore quip

"If Kieffer is a success and he ends up being worth £20m then so be it, thats what i would expect to get for a player like Kieffer."

Thursday 6th May 2021

Mick McCarthy admits that it will be a summer of change at Cardiff City, but the strides the club have made this season has invoked a feeling of excitement over what can be achieved next year.

The Bluebirds boss often cites his fourth game in charge, against Bristol City at Ashton Gate, where Cardiff could have slipped to 17th if they were on the wrong end of a hiding.

But they came away from that Severnside derby with a 1-0 win and shot up the ladder, almost sneaking into those play-off spots before a post-international break slump consigned them to another season of Championship football next term.

That, though, according to McCarthy, is an exciting prospect. However he will have the summer transfer window to contend with first, of course, and anticipates a busy window.

"Absolutely I am," he said when asked if we was excited about next term. "Of course. If we end up finishing seventh and I say that’s a good finish from where we were.

"That’s the benchmark in terms of points. If we were looking at 46 in 23 games, we have set a benchmark - can we do that? That’s hard, that.

"Things will be changing here, that’s for sure. Players will be going, players will be coming in. But we have always got to aim as high as we can.

"We aim for the moon and end up in the stars."

Speaking of stars, Kieffer Moore has undoubtedly been the shiniest one in this Cardiff side all season.

The striker, signed for just £2m from Wigan Athletic last summer, has banged home 20 league goals in this campaign, the first Bluebirds player to do that since Peter Whittingham in the 2009/10 season.

The Wales international has the prospect of the Euros to look forward to after Saturday's final fixture with Rotherham and will undoubtedly play a huge part for Rob Page's side.

And while McCarthy is hopeful Moore can have a fantastic campaign, he believes that will only draw the eyes of more suitors in the transfer window.

If it shoots his value up tenfold in the process, though, McCarthy won't mind too much.

MICK McCARTHY:

"All it does is accentuate the fact someone might come in for Kieffer Moore if he gets too many mentions!" the City boss joked.

"I want them to be a success, because I’ll deal with whatever it is, if he is a success and he ends up being worth £20m then so be it, thats what i would expect to get for a player like Kieffer."

"I just want what’s good for the players, I really do.

"What’s good for the players is good for the club."

And City will need all the funds they can get, because Premier League parachute payments will stop and they will have to generate the cash themselves.

Moore is clearly a player who could leave, so too is Robert Glatzel, the striker on loan at Mainz who McCarthy has already said is up for sale.

While midfielder Will Vaulks is also the subject of transfer interest from Newcastle, Norwich City and Sheffield United among others.

Whichever way you look at it, Cardiff will have to find money elsewhere this summer if McCarthy is to assemble a squad which can challenge for promotion next season. But, the manager says, perhaps that now puts them on a level playing field.

"Having been in the Premier League and having parachute payments, it enables the club to be on a different playing field to some of the others.

"I guess, with everything that's going on, we are going to be on a bit more of a level playing field with some of the others now.

"Then we've got to be better at what we do than they are. Simple as that."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Mick McCarthy: " Kieffer Moore £20million "

Thu May 06, 2021 5:44 pm

Lets hope mick is not thinking of selling moore to fund the rest of the team and replace moore with our own harris and some young buck from league one i am worried more now than when arris was in charge with micks sweeping statments such as williams 2nd harry wilson etc

Thu May 06, 2021 6:35 pm

montyblue wrote:Lets hope mick is not thinking of selling moore to fund the rest of the team and replace moore with our own harris and some young buck from league one i am worried more now than when arris was in charge with micks sweeping statments such as williams 2nd harry wilson etc

It's just a sound bite from a wily old manager. He knows every player has a price. I am confident that the club dont want to sell Moore but if 20m was genuinely on the table of course the club would rightfully have to sell.

Thu May 06, 2021 8:16 pm

If any profit was on the table he'll be gone. Sad but ambition dead.

MM is here...say no more.

Thu May 06, 2021 10:51 pm

Has to be here next season - There are other players to sell before KM :bluebird:

Thu May 06, 2021 11:41 pm

I would never advocate the selling of our best player/s, but this last season has been so different to others, with no match day income as such, the last parachute payment was all but eaten up by wages, and running costs etc, and the possibility of still having reduced crowds in attendance for next season, we, as many other clubs will have to cut our cloth accordingly,
there is also the sala issue to be resolved (well sort of!) If an offer of that magnitude comes in, it would imho be accepted, we would all be up in arms, but if it is to keep our heads above water? If the funds are used to strengthen the squad?

For me it's a hard call tbf, on the one hand, we must keep, and build a team around him, on the other, the books need to be balanced,so would kind of understand the club accepting a bid of that size, wouldn't be over the moon, but would understand to a degree., especially if used to strengthen ( which doesn't always happen).

For me it's a tough one, but if as posted we are after Jerome, could it be on the cards? Or are the club putting this out through Mick, to either put off any suitors, or to put him in the shop window?? I'm looking forward to what develops in the close season, what personnel we keep, and what we add, and hoping we keep Moore. :old: :bluebird:

Fri May 07, 2021 10:18 am

£20m? He is gone if that is the case.

Fri May 07, 2021 10:44 am

If an offer of £20m was made for Moore I’d happily take it, that sort of cash could easily make our squad into a promotion winning one. However I very much doubt there’ll be any teams outside of the top half PL teams spending that on a single player this season and I doubt Moore is on their radar.

Fri May 07, 2021 11:03 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:If an offer of £20m was made for Moore I’d happily take it, that sort of cash could easily make our squad into a promotion winning one. However I very much doubt there’ll be any teams outside of the top half PL teams spending that on a single player this season and I doubt Moore is on their radar.

The club would never turn down £20m. But I agree, I don't see many clubs ,even Premier League ones, splashing that much cash this summer.

Fri May 07, 2021 2:46 pm

If Ridsdale was in charge we'd be selling him for £250,000 with another £100,000 in add ons if he wins a Champions League medal and a World Cup winners medal.

Fri May 07, 2021 11:04 pm

davids wrote:If Ridsdale was in charge we'd be selling him for £250,000 with another £100,000 in add ons if he wins a Champions League medal and a World Cup winners medal.

;)