Cardiff City should look to offload 32-year-old this summer

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Cardiff City should look to offload 32-year-old this sum

Postby Sven » Wed May 05, 2021 3:46 pm

JulesK wrote:Chris, If we pay him off, it will be The Committee at fault.
If we keep him on the treatment table, it will be The Committee at fault

Personally, I think he has again used us big time, got fit and playing well earned a contract and BOOM !!! which he has done before allegedly.

Jules, I agree; the so-called 'Committee' are at fault for everything, if we listen to some...

But the best thing for all involved is to cut him loose now. As I said in the post above, we were warned but (not for the first time) we didn't listen when the Wurzels were off-loading their problems to their biggest rivals

I'm trying to think of the last decent player (in VFM terms) we had from them...? :?
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Pulisnewport » Thu May 06, 2021 9:38 am

Sven wrote:
JulesK wrote:Chris, If we pay him off, it will be The Committee at fault.
If we keep him on the treatment table, it will be The Committee at fault

Personally, I think he has again used us big time, got fit and playing well earned a contract and BOOM !!! which he has done before allegedly.

Jules, I agree; the so-called 'Committee' are at fault for everything, if we listen to some...

But the best thing for all involved is to cut him loose now. As I said in the post above, we were warned but (not for the first time) we didn't listen when the Wurzels were off-loading their problems to their biggest rivals

I'm trying to think of the last decent player (in VFM terms) we had from them...? :?

Going out on loan apparently with a view to take him on a free at the end of next season :ayatollah:
Pulisnewport

Postby skidemin » Thu May 06, 2021 11:52 am

Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Sven wrote:
Big Hill Blue wrote:
skidemin wrote:cash in..... :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Can't see it. Imagine a potential manager asking his chairman to stump up ANYTHING for him.

"Alright boss, I've seen this mercurial genius and think we could snap him up for about 5 Mill. Bargain."

"Really, wow, you know I completely trust your judgement as my manager."

"Thanks boss. I've seen him play a few times. Guys gifted.

"You've only seen him play a few times?"

"Yeah, he's been injured a few times but managed a game or 2 last term..."

"Oh. Is he fit and raring to go now then?"

"No boss"

"No?"

"Looks like he's added a few pounds but at 32 he should be able to shed them easy enough".

"I'm confused. He's 32 injury prone and out of condition?"

"That's right boss, that's why we should get in early and snap him up.5mill bargain."

"I feel a press conference coming...expect your P45 in the morning."

Clearly, you didn't take your own advice; but listened to the voices in your own head... ;) :lol:

The cost of off-loading Tomlin (even with a severance payment) would well outweigh the cost of keeping him

I don't know the exact figures, but on games played this season, he is on well over £300k a game

Even on loan, if the Bluebirds can get him out, any subsidy would still represent a loss; but a far smaller one than keeping him and not seeing him on the pitch

are you suggesting the cashing in bit is giving him a severance payment which is less than what it would cost to keep him for the year ..?

I don't recall referring to 'cashing in' but yes, given the history of Tomlin's fitness and (dare I say) commitment to professionalism, the safer option would be to get rid and accept any loss that may be incurred by a settlement

We could always try selling first but on his current (agreed) contract, with his dubious fitness levels and the current manager's propensity to discard him, I would personally let him go. Then again, it's not my money to chuck away

the cashing in is in the article....
as for selling... at some point the list of managers prepared to gamble on getting more out of him than the last guy must dry up... id be gobsmacked if anyone showed any serious interest this time...

Yes, my apologies. I misread your previous post :thumbup:

Ad yes, I'd give him a severance payment rather than have him sat around for another season on that money. Mick McCarthy doesn't see him as an integral part of his team/squad for next season, so what is the point

In all honesty, I largely blame Neil Warnock for this situation, as he brought him in, didn't play him, slated him, loaned him out and then decided eventually to play him some fair old time after he come back

A serious question is why bring him in the beginning; assuming, of course, due diligence was done and we can't say the carrot crunchers didn't win us about his lack of motivation on occasion

the vast majority of Bristol fans were pretty peed off mate... and despite many on here claiming he did there what he has done here its not true...initially he spent 6 months on loan there and started all 18 games which led to them signing him .... then in his 1 full season there he made 38 out of 46 lge apps... for a total of 56 { thats more than in 4 seasons here } out of a possible 64 lge apps.. there was obviously baggage , including his { at the time } up coming court case but the due diligence was reflected in the price..£1.5 mill plus add ons { no idea what the add ons were but if any were appearance related ,they didnt get them } ...
skidemin

Previous

Return to General Chat