' Cardiff City make approach for Championship player '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 04, 2021 6:02 am

Cardiff City 'make approach' for Sheffield Wednesday star Josh Windass

The Bluebirds are said to have made a move for the 27-year old attacking midfielder

Tuesday 4th May 2021

Cardiff City have made an approach for Sheffield Wednesday playmaker Josh Windass, according to reports.

Sheffield Wednesday are all but relegated to league one with a mass exodus of players expected.

That's according to The72.com, who claim the Bluebirds have moved to try and steal a march on their transfer rivals, with Ipswich Town, Middlesbrough and Stoke City also linked with the former Wigan Athletic forward in recent weeks.

Windass has so far scored nine goals in 40 Championship outings for the Owls this season, making him the club's leading scorer, but his future with the club looks increasingly uncertain.

Wednesday will be relegated to League One unless they can somehow muster up a win on the final day against Derby County, and are facing a significant rebuild to the squad over the summer.

The likes of Jordan Rhodes and Adam Reach, both of whom have also been linked with Cardiff in recent weeks, are out of contract at the end of the season, and are almost certain to leave if the Owls slip into the third tier.

And, despite having another year to run on his current deal at Hillsborough, Windass could well join them out the door.

The 27-year-old has previously been linked with a move to south Wales and was tipped to link up with former City boss Neil Warnock back in 2018 when the player was still with Rangers, but a move never materialised.

It's not clear just how much Cardiff, or indeed any other suitor, would have to pay to prise the attacking midfielder away from south Yorkshire, but he does certainly fit the bill in terms of what Cardiff will be looking for this summer.

Indeed, a playmaker or number 10 is likely to be high on their list, with Harry Wilson set to return to Liverpool this summer and questions still lingering over the future of Lee Tomlin.

Boss Mick McCarthy has already hinted that Cardiff may well have to sell some of their stars in order to bring fresh faces in, with the Yorkshireman already confirming that striker Robert Glatzel is one of those up for sale.

"I think people will have to generate money through sales and then you might have money to spend," he said in his pre-Birmingham City press conference.

"But there are going to be a lot of players that are going to be available, there are lots of players coming out of contract and we're on top of that for players that are.

"There are good players coming out of contract and you've just got to get in the market and see what you can afford and who can afford them.

"But in terms of spending most clubs are going to have to generate some money and it'll be an interesting window."
Attachments
0_JS232641243.jpg
0_JS232641243.jpg (69.79 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Cardiff City make approach for Championship player '

Postby Sneggyblubird » Wed May 05, 2021 12:26 pm

Would be the type of player needed. At this stage though I wouldn't read too much into it.
Sneggyblubird

Postby stuey1965 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:37 pm

Wednesday aren't down yet, if they beat Derby and we don't lose to Rotherham they stay up.
stuey1965

Postby JulesK » Wed May 05, 2021 1:55 pm

stuey1965 wrote:Wednesday aren't down yet, if they beat Derby and we don't lose to Rotherham they stay up.

Yep, a lot depends on that, on a personal note, if it was a choice between us getting Josh or Derby going down, he can stay there :D
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby maccydee » Wed May 05, 2021 3:37 pm

All but relegated?

Not really true.
maccydee

Postby Sven » Wed May 05, 2021 3:51 pm

JulesK wrote:
stuey1965 wrote:Wednesday aren't down yet, if they beat Derby and we don't lose to Rotherham they stay up.

Yep, a lot depends on that, on a personal note, if it was a choice between us getting Josh or Derby going down, he can stay there :D

Wouldn't that be a great scenario (sorry Rotherham)? ;) :laughing6:

I actually think Josh Windass would be an asset to us next season but the Derby down scenario wheys my appetite, so long as it's not us that gets the finger pointed at

We need to win Saturday for the integrity of the competition but the other scenario is a realistic one where both teams have a vested interest and that could pan out nicely... :D
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:28 am

I haven’t looked at that end of the table for a while but Sm I right in thinking that if Wednesday beat Derby, the rams are down, regardless of what Rotherham do.
bluebirdoct1962

Return to General Chat