‘ Cardiff City player Signs a New Two Year Contract ‘

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:51 am

Tom Sang signs a new two year deal for Cardiff City ( Signed till 2023)

Tom Sang came through Bolton’s and then Manchester United’s Accademy’s.

Sang joined Cardiff City when he was 20 yrs old after he was released by United in the Summer of 2019.

Sang is 22 years old this June and was sent on loan to Cheltenham by Cardiff and played 10 times for them mostly as a sub and has this season played 7 times for Cardiff City’s first team.

The journey of Tom Sang, the Man Utd kid who spent 18 months in the wilderness before finding home at Cardiff City

The utility man was let go by Bolton Wanderers and it looked as though he had slipped through the cracks, but his career went from strength to strength after being picked up by Man Utd.

By Glen Williams

Monday 12th April 2021

Tom Sang very nearly slipped through the net.

For 18 months he was in the wilderness, having been released by Bolton Wanderers after his under-14s season, and barely kicked a ball in that time.

Given he fell off the radar at such a crucial stage of his development, it is somewhat miraculous he was then picked up by one of the biggest clubs in the world at Manchester United.

But through hard work and sheer determination, he got his chance and grabbed it with both hands.

TOM SAMG:

"I was at Bolton in the under-13s and under-14s but got released at that age and spent about 18 months out of football," he told the club in the pre-match programme notes ahead of Blackburn Rovers.

"I had a few injuries so didn't play many games during that period at all.

"Coming through the injuries, I worked really hard and managed to get a trial at United. I secured a one-year contract there, then another and then got to first-year pro age and got my professional contract, staying there for another year.

"If you're not around the first team then, though, I think it's time to go out and play football. It set me up perfectly to come into Cardiff's academy.

"I joined in the summer of 2019 and within six months was training with the first team.

"It's been a really tough but enjoyable journey and I wouldn't have it any other way."

It is quite the meteoric rise in just a matter of years for the 21-year-old, who is quite quickly becoming one of Cardiff's most important players.

Despite Saturday's disappointing draw, given the context of conceding in the last minute, Sang was arguably the Bluebirds' best player. He has laid claim to that title with regularity in recent weeks.

Since getting his break in the first team, he has not looked back. The utility man has been one of the beacons of light during a tricky little period for Mick McCarthy's side of late.

He has taken the right-back spot away from Perry Ng, which is no mean feat, and has offered a great attacking threat during his seven appearances in the blue shirt, while looking solid at the other end of the pitch, too.

Sang, a naturally-talented player with the ball at his feet, had made it to this level by playing in more advanced role, in the middle of the pitch or out wide.

But he gave some insight into why switching into a wing-back role has allowed him to transition comfortably into first-team football.

"It's one of those positions I've never had a lot of games in until now, but I've always felt I've got the attributes to play out there," he added.

"Going in and playing there in pre-season games, I really enjoyed it. You never know what's going to happen, but it's been a good path to get into the first team and show what I can do.

"Especially as when you first break through, it's good to have everything in front of you, instead of being in midfield where it can be a million miles an hour.

"Because of that, it's a great way to ease you into the team and get comfortable at the level."

The financial landscape has changed in football owing to coronavirus and as a consequence clubs are leaning on the strength of their academies to save previous millions in the transfer market.

The likes of Rubin Colwill, Isaak Davies, Joel Bagan, Mark Harris, Ciaron Brown, Kieron Evans and, of course, Sang, are all academy graduates who the club hope will blossom into first-team regulars.

That might not be the case, of course, but there is no doubting the pathway is far clearer now than it has been for some time.

"Since I arrived at Cardiff City, I've absolutely loved it," he said. "As soon as I got here, I was playing consistent football for the first time in a while with the Under 23’s, which helps you to find your position and grow as a player.

"I really enjoyed just looking to get better every single day.

"The lads and the staff at Cardiff really help with your development and it's obviously resulted in where the other lads and I are today."
Attachments
DFC1AF70-97E8-4C1A-B515-FAF67356F84B.jpeg
DFC1AF70-97E8-4C1A-B515-FAF67356F84B.jpeg (230.34 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
C7EFB289-52B6-452C-B6F1-B5CA8A7CE519.jpeg
C7EFB289-52B6-452C-B6F1-B5CA8A7CE519.jpeg (46.89 KiB) Viewed 5608 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ‘ Tom Sang ‘

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:57 am

Tom Sangs Career:
Attachments
BC7B0C60-73B4-416B-81F2-F85094A86BBD.jpeg
BC7B0C60-73B4-416B-81F2-F85094A86BBD.jpeg (230.34 KiB) Viewed 5591 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: ‘ Tom Sang ‘

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:09 am

Tom Sang signs new Cardiff City deal

Cardiff City Football Club are delighted to announce that Tom Sang has signed a new deal with the Club.

The promising 21-year-old has extended his time in South Wales, with this new agreement running until the summer of 2023.

Tom spent the first half of the 2020/21 season out on loan at Cheltenham.
Attachments
7DC9C877-4956-4391-83A4-FF11092E5692.jpeg
7DC9C877-4956-4391-83A4-FF11092E5692.jpeg (221.61 KiB) Viewed 5473 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Re: ‘ Cardiff City player Signs a New Two Year Contract ‘

Postby Escott1927 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:22 am

Done well since he has come in, wingback isn't his natural position either. Would like to see him in a central role as he does look decent on the ball. Not sure if he's a bit lightweight though.
Escott1927

Postby Sven » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:27 am

This is good news for all involved and I feel sure Tom Sang will remain an integral part of the team squad going forward

Nice one, Tom :clap: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :D
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:29 am

Tom Sang:

“I’m absolutely buzzing that I’m here for the next two years, and hopefully even more.

"It’s a really good environment to be in. I want to thank the Gaffer for the opportunity and the trust in me.” :bluebird: :bluebird:
Attachments
5074B3C2-4C4A-4628-97EE-6524A41A0E64.jpeg
5074B3C2-4C4A-4628-97EE-6524A41A0E64.jpeg (221.61 KiB) Viewed 5306 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby castleblue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:03 am

Congrats Tom well deserved new contract. Look forward to watching you.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 am

I tipped Tom Sang to breakthrough this season back in August. I thought I had made another duff prediction until circumstances intervened and he's got his lucky break. That said I never thought he would do it by becoming a right wing back!
Tony Blue Williams

Postby philrogers » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:31 pm

A well deserved contract extension. Lets hope Ciaron Brown is next.
philrogers

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:47 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I tipped Tom Sang to breakthrough this season back in August. I thought I had made another duff prediction until circumstances intervened and he's got his lucky break. That said I never thought he would do it by becoming a right wing back!

Out of curiosity, what was his position prior to the switch to wing back?

He seems comfortable in possession, which bodes well for the future of club and player alike. Good news! :thumbup:
103 Barmy Army

Postby JulesK » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:20 pm

Well done ' The Committee ' :bluescarf:
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby BC-CB » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:20 pm

It makes you wonder how many hidden gems we may have. You never know until they're tried.
BC-CB

Postby Always City » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:52 pm

JulesK wrote:Well done ' The Committee ' :bluescarf:

Great to see for the lad, but Sang never came through our academy , only made seven appearances to date for us, he's cheap, lets see how good he is next season, if we are a team with all cheap players next season then it will be relegation we are looking at.
Always City

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:06 pm

Congratulations to the lad he’s done well last few weeks

However, he’s far from the finished article and will need to kick on again next season

Fingers crossed this will turn out to be a good signing
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:31 pm

Always City wrote:

Great to see for the lad, but Sang never came through our academy , only made seven appearances to date for us, he's cheap, lets see how good he is next season, if we are a team with all cheap players next season then it will be relegation we are looking at.

Ffs! He is a city player now.

Well done tom,now its time to kick on in your career,glad its with us.
bluesince62

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 pm

Am very pleased for the lad. It's his career and it's given him the ability to Improve his game at a very good level.

However, the profile given to this news by the club, I think this Is very much a message to the fans that this is what we can expect in terms of our spending and ambition for next year.

To bring Sang on and realise his potential, The committee will need to bring in a number of seasoned professionals to aid his development.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:07 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Always City wrote:

Lots of youngsters are brought in from other clubs to play in a clubs academy and are classed as that clubs academy player..... why do people love to belittle what the club does? :?
pembroke allan

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:06 pm

Good Luck To The Lad :bluebird:
TopCat CCFC

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:43 am

Good news.

Done well these last few weeks and deserves a new contract.

Before then, I wouldn't have been bothered if he'd have left if I'm being honest.

Shows how much I know.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Always City » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:58 am

pembroke allan wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Always City wrote:

Lots of youngsters are brought in from other clubs to play in a clubs academy and are classed as that clubs academy player..... why do people love to belittle what the club does? :?

Mate, Sang was 20 years old when City signed him, by then most players are already established, how can you call him a Cardiff academy player :lol:

I say well done to him :bluebird:
Always City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:07 am

SKY SORTS:

SANG SINGES MCCARTHY'S PRAISES AFTER SIGNING NEW CARDIFF DEAL

Tuesday 13th April 2021

Tom Sang thanked Cardiff boss Mick McCarthy for his first-team opportunity after signing a new deal at the Sky Bet Championship club.

Sang a Bolton Academy player later released, then joined Manchester United, found himself not knowing what his future would be and then given his chance by McCarthy after a loan spell at Cheltenham.

Sang 22 years old this June, has impressed at wing-back since he was handed a starting spot last month.

Sang, who spent the first half of the campaign at Cheltenham, told the Bluebirds’ website: “I’ve kept my head down and kept working and I’m absolutely buzzing that I’m here for the next two years, and hopefully even more.

“You’ve got to want it and I want to get better every single day. I’m just delighted that I’ve got a future here to build on.

“As soon as I came back from loan, I knew what my job was and I knew where I was going to be playing if the chance came. It’s a really good environment to be in.

“I want to thank the gaffer for the opportunity and the trust in me.”

Sang’s new deal runs until the summer of 2023.
Attachments
C7EFB289-52B6-452C-B6F1-B5CA8A7CE519.jpeg
C7EFB289-52B6-452C-B6F1-B5CA8A7CE519.jpeg (46.89 KiB) Viewed 2784 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:14 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:I tipped Tom Sang to breakthrough this season back in August. I thought I had made another duff prediction until circumstances intervened and he's got his lucky break. That said I never thought he would do it by becoming a right wing back!

Out of curiosity, what was his position prior to the switch to wing back?

He seems comfortable in possession, which bodes well for the future of club and player alike. Good news! :thumbup:

At the time I was tipping him to breakthrough I thought Sang was a natural replacement for Tomlin!

It seems he played a few games for Cheltenham at right back and when we were struggling in that area he was brought back as possible cover.

Fair play he adapted well which of course is the sign of a very good player. I have a gut feeling that if he continues to progress he could become the subject of interest of other clubs with some spare cash in the near future.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 am

Think he has a good future ahead of him and good to see a pathway from the under 23s to the first team starting to form. We could have a very young side next year with a few seasoned pros dotted around. If we are to cut our cloth without parachute payments we need to look to develop youth be it form our academy or others.

I'm alos interested to see what impact TC working with Max Watters will have. Reading between the lines I think MM sees Watters as a raw talent that needs polishing but trusts TC to get the best out of him.

Interesting season ahead next year.

:ayatollah:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby Sven » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:49 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:Think he has a good future ahead of him and good to see a pathway from the under 23s to the first team starting to form. We could have a very young side next year with a few seasoned pros dotted around. If we are to cut our cloth without parachute payments we need to look to develop youth be it form our academy or others.

I'm alos interested to see what impact TC working with Max Watters will have. Reading between the lines I think MM sees Watters as a raw talent that needs polishing but trusts TC to get the best out of him.

Interesting season ahead next year.

:ayatollah:

I certainly don't see the team/squad going backwards next season :thumbup:

Some interesting players being deveoped right now and, as you say, with some experienced heads around them (Sean Morrison being key) I am looking forward to getting back to the CCS and cheering them on :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Escott1927 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:31 am

Barclay1 wrote:Am very pleased for the lad. It's his career and it's given him the ability to Improve his game at a very good level.

However, the profile given to this news by the club, I think this Is very much a message to the fans that this is what we can expect in terms of our spending and ambition for next year.

To bring Sang on and realise his potential, The committee will need to bring in a number of seasoned professionals to aid his development.

The club announced the signing of new contract as they did with colwill and Davies and every other new contract that is signed by a player at the club. Its just the club engaging and keeping the fans updated. Would you prefer we just let our most promising youngsters go?
Escott1927

Postby JulesK » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:01 pm

I think some would if they thought they could use it against the club.

And I will say it again ... Well done the committee as I don't think MM is paying his wages !!!
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:04 pm

Always City wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Always City wrote:

Mate, Sang was 20 years old when City signed him, by then most players are already established, how can you call him a Cardiff academy player :lol:

I say well done to him :bluebird:

Most are established at 20? Yeah ok.if only that were the case.
bluesince62

Return to General Chat