Mick McCarthy: " Its Over " as Big Mick plans

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:50 am

Mick McCarthy Admits Cardiff City Were Not The Best . . . Just On The Best Run

Loan players not coming back / squad to small / planning for the summer already.

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy.

Sunday 11th April 2021

Mick McCarthy has conceded Cardiff City’s play-off dream is over, barring some kind of miracle.

The straight-talking Bluebirds manager admitted only an unforeseen meltdown by a number of clubs above his team would enable Cardiff to finish in the top six following their 2-2 draw at home to Blackburn.

Adam Armstrong scored a 91st minute equaliser to give Rovers a draw they richly deserved after they had hit the woodwork three times.

The result leaves Cardiff nine points adrift of sixth place with just five games left and McCarthy admitted: “It would require an unlikely set of events.

MICK McCARTHY:

“I know we had a great start when I came in. Everything was going well, but I was never fooled to thinking we were one of the best teams in the league."

“We were just having one of the best runs in the league."

"We will this summer have a clear out and strengthen where needed."

" We need a bigger squad, most games i have only had 18 players to pick from."

"I will be talking to the board and say what i need."

"Our loan players wont be coming back."

“ As to the match,It feels like a defeat because of the lateness of both goals. We should be able to hang on to that. We’re all feeling sick about it.

“Whether we won all our games or not, the other teams are capable of winning theirs. All we can do is look after our games and performances and results. Unfortunately we haven’t.”

Cardiff went ahead through Will Vaulks but Armstrong’s first goal levelled the score before half-time.

Blackburn then dominated and twice hit the post, then the crossbar, before Joe Ralls made it 2-1 to Cardiff against the run of play.

It looked as if Cardiff might hang on, but Armstrong’s second goal, when he turned inside Aden Flint and produced a sharp finish, leaves McCarthy mulling over just one win in seven games.

“From their guy’s perspective it’s a fabulous finish, but from our view it’s bad defending, giving a 20-goal striker that much space

“He’s a very good player and he’s having a brilliant season. Our lads tried to deal with him, but it’s easier said that done.

“It’s like when Kieffer Moore was scoring goals. It’s not easy to deal with. He’s a good player.

McCarthy admitted part of his focus is now already turning towards next season.

MICK McCARTHY:

“I had a good idea already, I’ve been here nearly two months so you’re always evaluating it and calculating what you need, what’s not going to be here.

“We’ve got players on loan who are very unlikely they’ll be coming back and we will be losing a bit of quality there.

“The next five games, we want to win them and get points, but we will have an eye on what’s been happening next season.”

Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray was left unsatisfied with point he felt should have been three but grateful for his talisman Armstrong’s talent.

The striker who has attracted interest from Premier League clubs has now scored 22 goals this season.

“Adam Armstrong is a goal scorer and that’s the bottom line. You give him an inch, he’ll score a goal.

“When he gets the ball on the edge of the box, he can always drop a shoulder and shoot off either foot.

“It would have been really harsh if we’d have lost that. We scored a late goal, but we should have scored more.”
Attachments
4250884E-176B-4AC5-AC34-ED6C9C4BCFFB.jpeg
4250884E-176B-4AC5-AC34-ED6C9C4BCFFB.jpeg (39.56 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
Mick-McCarthy-7.jpg
Mick-McCarthy-7.jpg (146.98 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Mick McCarthy: " Its Over " as Big Mick plans

Postby Don Keydick » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:51 am

I can't comment on yesterdays game as I didn't watch it. But what I found surprising was the fact that only one sub was used in the 90 mins, and one used 90+2 or whatever. Given the fact that the games are thick and fast at the moment, and MM stated that one or two are running on empty, why is he not using the squad? In a way I'm glad the play-offs are out of reach so that it gives us a few games to see what a couple of these good youngsters can do, and find out what we need over the summer. Let's see if he can mould a squad to put in a real challenge next season, and hopefully we'll all be back in the stadium singing our hearts out. :bluescarf:
Don Keydick

Postby davids » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:14 am

Don Keydick wrote:I can't comment on yesterdays game as I didn't watch it. But what I found surprising was the fact that only one sub was used in the 90 mins, and one used 90+2 or whatever. Given the fact that the games are thick and fast at the moment, and MM stated that one or two are running on empty, why is he not using the squad? In a way I'm glad the play-offs are out of reach so that it gives us a few games to see what a couple of these good youngsters can do, and find out what we need over the summer. Let's see if he can mould a squad to put in a real challenge next season, and hopefully we'll all be back in the stadium singing our hearts out. :bluescarf:

There could be a number of reasons for Mick's reluctance to make substitutions.

1. He's old school. Doesn't like to make changes of he can help it and only ever makes changes before the 65th minute if forced to do so by injury
2. He doesn't believe those he has on the bench would be able to change the game. If that's the case he must be quite unhappy with the quality of his squad if he can't trust them to make a difference when they get on the pitch.
3. He genuinely believes that those players on the pitch are best suited to win the game without being replaced, no matter how knackered or off form they appear.

I was totally amazed that he made no subs at half time against Sheff Weds - I would have expected at least three if not all five to have come on at half time if for no other reason to show to the players that their first half performance was totally unacceptable. Personally I would have made five subs the moment we went 3-0 down, even if only 20 odd minutes had gone.

It's not going to be easy to get rid of some of the (apparently) high wage earners at the club in the summer who need to be moved on if we are to progress. I'm thinking about the likes of Murphy, Tomlin, Bacuna and Pack in particular.

Hoilett will be gone so we'll need at least two wingers, a striker to help take some pressure off Moore (Harris probably not good enough and the jury is out on Watters) and at least three new midfielders including somebody with a bit of creativity and all of whom need to be more comfortable on the ball than our current midfield.

Hopefully Mick has managed to spot that in the last few months!
davids

Postby Barclay1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:25 am

I'd send the loan players back now then. How Ojo didn't get in the team was just ludicrous.

Next year the team will have my unwavering support, but boy it gonna be rough. A Capitol City club with massive potential getting by on cast offs and kids.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby skidemin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:27 pm

Barclay1 wrote:I'd send the loan players back now then. How Ojo didn't get in the team was just ludicrous.

Next year the team will have my unwavering support, but boy it gonna be rough. A Capitol City club with massive potential getting by on cast offs and kids.

next season might be better than you /we think....
skidemin

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:32 pm

skidemin wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:I'd send the loan players back now then. How Ojo didn't get in the team was just ludicrous.

next season might be better than you /we think....

As city fans you've got to have optimism if nothing else? Not confident about next season but optimistic MM gets rid of deadwood and bring in the players that will change way we play not confident he'll do that after seeing and hearing what's happened last 6 games.
pembroke allan

Postby fred keenor » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:06 pm

Players that definitely wont be here next season
Tutu
Wilson
Ojo

Players out of contract
Junior
Sol
Williams
Brown
Bennett

Add Vassell as either way one hell if a risk to plan with him fit.

Cant see Sol being here other than added to the coaching staff.

Up to 9 players who may need replacing.
Hope we are planning to recruit early and not the last few days before the window closes as in previous seasons.
fred keenor

Postby Sven » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:14 pm

fred keenor wrote:Players that definitely wont be here next season
Tutu
Wilson
Ojo

Players out of contract
Junior
Sol
Williams
Brown
Bennett

Hope we are planning to recruit early and not the last few days before the window closes as in previous seasons.

Not 'out of contract' but add Lee Tomlin to the list of 'not here next season'

One club have already asked about his availability and I'm told Mick McCarthy doesn't see his 'value' to the team/squad when he could have a couple of players (maybe more) who would contribute more for the same financial outlay
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby fred keenor » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Sven wrote:
Tutu
Wilson
Ojo

Players out of contract
Junior
Sol
Williams
Brown
Bennett

One club have already asked about his availability and I'm told Mick McCarthy doesn't see his 'value' to the team/squad when he could have a couple of players (maybe more) who would contribute more for the same financial outlay

Hard to disagree with MM assesment of LT
fred keenor

Postby Sneggyblubird » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:41 pm

The squad is not balanced and not big enough according to MM.I can see Whyte coming back and getting a go under Mick,He may not have the silky skills of Wilson but has an engine second to none and if all the reports about him are true and the tapes been studied I think he'll thrive under Mick.I think they'll offer Bennett a short term contract at least till Xmas to give him a chance to return.I have never been the lads biggest fan but as a wingback he's been excellent and we started to struggle when he was injured.We won't get anything as good as Bennett without paying decent money so he's worth the risk imo.I also think they'll offer Williams another deal.Where we do need strengthening is midfield and I think any funds available would be well spent in that dept.
Sneggyblubird

Postby Sven » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 am

fred keenor wrote:
Sven wrote:
Tutu
Wilson
Ojo

Players out of contract
Junior
Sol
Williams
Brown
Bennett

Hard to disagree with MM assesment of LT

I is indeed; but I understand the Bluebirds will need to pay up part of Tomlin's (substantial) contract

I'm not knocking him as a player when he gets on the field and I understand players get injured plying their trade; but his contribution over there last few years has been (at best) a waste
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Return to General Chat