Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What were you doing 9 years ago today....

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:01 am

I was in a Science lesson in school when our teacher came in and told us.

We got to watch the news in the lesson and just watched in amazement at the shocking scenes unfolding.

Can't believe that 9 years has passed.

Re: What were you doing 9 years ago today....

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:46 am

at work wondering why the radio wasnt playing records! couldnt hear through the factory noise! didnt find out until i got home at 5 ish!

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:53 am

Sat with a customer in Gloucester listening to the radio.....left then drove straight home and watch it unfold on the TV :(

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:56 am

on holiday in Spain, someone on a bus told us the palestinians had crashed 2 planes into the twin towers. I thought she meant a couple of small cessna type planes, couldn't believe what I was seeing when I turned the tv on back in hotel room.

Spanish TV coverage was a bit weird in the evening, showed a montage of clips from the attacks mixed up with clips from movies like Independance Day where US cities take a battering.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:02 am

In school and did not know about it until I popped into my nans and saw it on the news.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:15 am

i was in liverpool on the day celebrating my brothers birthday .
only till we got home we realised what had happend .

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:25 am

Was in a business studies lesson actually looking at stocks and shares on text when the news broke.

Devestating day!

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:30 am

In Science in School. Everyone got called into the Main hall and watched it there. Everyone looking on in shock.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:44 am

Cutting up meat in work when my boss came in & told us. Didn't believe him till I got in my car at break & listened to the radio

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:18 pm

I had just finished a training day at the Cardiff and Vale NHs Trust training centre at Whitchurch Hospital.

Got in the car and heard on the radio that planes had flown into the towers.

No idea at that stage how bad it would become.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Was living in Galway at the time, walked into bar of hotel when the first plane hit, I couldnt believe my eyes.

Minutes later a coach load of American tourists walked in and started crying when they saw what had happened and then the second plane hit, it was an awful day !!!!

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Playing golf on the pitch and putt down Porthkerry park in Barry with friends. Got back to the golf hut where the woman was crying saying someone had crashed planes into the towers. Got into my mates car and turned the radio on to hear the 1st tower collapse. Got home and and just watched everything unfold.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Suffering a horrific hangover, before going back out for more.

HAd fallen asleep with TV on, woke up to some bizzare film.............

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:02 pm

I wasnt giving a shit. It was obvious to ALL people who THINK that it was staged to gain a casus belli (if you can call it like that these days)

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Looking at houses down Rhoose Point.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:46 pm

had a day off work, walked into room to turn tv off and pop to the shops when the picture switched to the WTC, I just stopped in the middle of the room, must have stood there for 10mins just stareing at in in disbelief, I'd been in the WTC Buildings in '97, their sheer size and scale took my breath away, it never enterd my head that they could and would collapse, like everyone else I spent the next 12hrs glued to the screen.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:38 pm

i was home from school ill, when my nan phoned to tell my mother to put the news on, sad sad day :(

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:39 pm

I had just come in from 6th form/collage, had no idea so put the tele on and the news was on, didnt read it so just changed channel and getting annoyed the news was on every channel, then finally listened to one of the news channels :cry: :twisted:

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:57 pm

Nathan Walker wrote:In school and did not know about it until I popped into my nans and saw it on the news.

I would have been in the same school as BW but I was on a mini holiday in Camarthen Bay.

Didn't our school get on tv?

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:22 pm

Just finished a 30 miles walk/jog for charity, got home to find my old girl in tears and I watched as the 2nd plane hit the south tower. Sad day. A kid was also stabbed in my 6th form that day aswell so remember the day very well.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:48 pm

was working on a chemical plant in barry when i was told about the plane crashes, was then told the buildings had come down. It was terrible watching the news later that day, i actually know of a survivor from that day, she seen some terrible sights when she escaped one of the towers.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:59 pm

It was my first day at Uni in Liverpool, got back from the freshers fair and one of the girls called us all into her room to see what was happening on the news.

Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:00 pm

on the piss in the house.

had to be i was married then i didnt go out unless i had a party in the garden

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:34 pm

remeber like it was yesterday
I was stil an apprentice, i was filing the edges of my newly crafted drift
My friend Brian came up to me and told me what had happended, I didnt make make much of it at the time to be honest.....
it took some time to realise what the hell was going on

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Day off work studying for my post-grad CIPS final exams. Stopped for a cup of tea, turned the telly on and they were showing the first tower on fire. As I was watching, the second plane came into view, and the rest is history. Seemed to spend the next few days watching Sky News 24/7.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Watching on the tv in work dumb founded. And ninevyears later im sat on the sofa watching the footage again and its still as shocking and addictive to watch today. Been gripped by this and would like to think that was solely a terrorist act but so much conflicting facts does make u think is there more to this grim event that reported

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:29 pm

In spain. got into the hotel room turned the tv on and it was all over the news!

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:44 pm

my late mother had gone into hospital , and me and my dad were in the family room at llandough ( cant spell) hospital , i was only 8 and didnt really understand what was going on i just remember watching the 2nd plane flying into the buliding thinking that isnt right

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:28 pm

I was in work when one of the cleaners told me so went straight to the mess room and watched the news but by then it was the afternoon. Obviously things were twitchy being a Nuclear power station and security was being beefed up.
It changed things forever there, the visitor centre was closed permanently and where visitors were given a tour that has now been stopped which is a shame because lots of schools came to have a look around. Sign of the times :cry:

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:19 pm

I remeber turning on the tv just as the 2nd plane crashed into the towers. I remember thinking shit thats amazing CGI what film is this. Then they cut back to the studio and i just sat there transfixed for Hrs.