Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

?

You may select 1 option

View results

Would you buy a car off ebay?

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:51 am

Im planning on buying my first car and theres some pretty tasty prices on ebay but im not sure whether its trustworthy.
Advice? :ayatollah:

Re: Would you buy a car off ebay?

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:05 am

You'll need to have your Whitts (LOL) about you if purchasing off eBay as there are some pretty unscrupulous people out there....

Make sure yu do all the background checks (seller and vehicle) BEFORE you go to buy/collect and take someone with you as back-up. Also, be careful if paying by cash....a bankers draft or PayPal are far better because they give you a certain amount of protection

Having said that, most sellers on eBay are genuine and I have bought a few motorcycles (but oddly never a car) with no issues to report.

The other thing to note is that eBay is no longer the bargain place it once was and by the time you pay fees (PayPal and eBay) and travel to collect, you might have been better staying local

Hope that helps....

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:08 am

i bought a few off e bay and sold a few with no problems at all

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:12 am

I would only buy a car off someone who is clearly an established trader with plenty of good feedback, or someone fairly local where you could inspect the car before buying.

We buy and sell on ebay so have a fair idea of the risks. If the seller is not a trader, then there's not going to be enough worthwhile feedback for you to review, as ebayers who only normally buy cannot be given anything other than positive feedback.

Always remember that if it looks too good to be true then it probably is!!!

Be very careful.

:old:

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:15 am

Get all the checks such as, has the car been in any crashes, car should be off the road(chassis twisted etc), also have a look if someone owes finance on the vehicle.

Your better off going to the auction places.

One of the boys in work picked up a 06 plate saab 9.3 with 80k miles for £6k! £30k brand new

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:52 am

A few years ago I bought a P reg Clio on ebay for £400. It was in Liverpool and I took the train up to collect it (£19.50 single). The car was a described and I drove it home no problem until I reached the Valleys and our lovely Hills and realised the Clutch was fucked :roll: . I was lucky though as I managed to get a Clutch kit from Halfords for the grand price off £24, old stock I think. It cost £60 to have the Clutch fitted and I sold the car for £550.
That was my worse experience. I've had a few good bargains though and i've travelled as far as Barnsley to collect a car.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:44 pm

i buy and sell cars on ebay every day, in fact ive been to peterborough today to pick 1 up (i would have been at the game but im waiting to go back to court about chelsea, im not a plastic fan lol) and im going to middlesborough tomorrow to pick 1 up.

buying off a trader is not always the best way to buy a car coz they always want top money and most of their cars are just made to look pretty for the sale.
do a bit of research and take someone with you who knows what they are doing when it comes to buying a car, things like hpi, checking the car over for fauls etc

what car are you looking for?