Eddie Howe's ambitions

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Eddie Howe's ambitions

Postby Igovernor » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:53 am

Eddie Howe: Celtic manager talks at advanced stage with former Bournemouth boss.
So this is the big job he was after, you could not make it up :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:
Igovernor

Eddie Howe's ambitions

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Eddie Howe's ambitions

Postby skidemin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:27 pm

Igovernor wrote:Eddie Howe: Celtic manager talks at advanced stage with former Bournemouth boss.
So this is the big job he was after, you could not make it up :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

i dont see where else he was going to go....there was the Palace rumour but why would they get rid of a bloke who has kept them comfortably up on peanuts and replace with someone who got a relegation amidst a spending spree....
Roy may well go but i dont see Palace suddenly going mad in the transfer market..
skidemin

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Igovernor wrote:Eddie Howe: Celtic manager talks at advanced stage with former Bournemouth boss.

His ambitions must be low then to pick them? our ambitions were to win a cup and get promotion probably like all championship clubs! Celtics ambition is to get past champions league qualifying stages!? His problem is celtic won quadruple or whatever 3 times in row if he doesn't do same he will be classed as failure in fans eyes! At least gerard at rangers started from nowhere so only way was up....
pembroke allan

Postby G3vans » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:25 pm

The hate Scottish football gets on this site is embarrassing. Rangers and Celtic are massive clubs, much bigger than us or Swansea. Far too many or here with chips on their shoulders.
G3vans

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:09 pm

G3vans wrote:The hate Scottish football gets on this site is embarrassing. Rangers and Celtic are massive clubs, much bigger than us or Swansea. Far too many or here with chips on their shoulders.

Yes big fish in a little pond who usually eat up the little fish until they get to Europe and they then get eaten by the fish of their own size or bigger ones .... perhaps we can have fish with the chips on our shoulders?
pembroke allan

Postby G3vans » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:13 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
G3vans wrote:The hate Scottish football gets on this site is embarrassing. Rangers and Celtic are massive clubs, much bigger than us or Swansea. Far too many or here with chips on their shoulders.

Yes big fish in a little pond who usually eat up the little fish until they get to Europe and they then get eaten by the fish of their own size or bigger ones .... perhaps we can have fish with the chips on our shoulders?

Yep, as is the case for us, other championship teams, bottom-half Premiership teams etc
G3vans

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:28 pm

G3vans wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yep, as is the case for us, other championship teams, bottom-half Premiership teams etc

A good move for him if it happens mate.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby worcester_ccfc » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:18 pm

I said on here a while back that I believed he was waiting for the Celtic job to be available.

Most on here laughed at me.

I really dislike Celtic as a club and their general fanbase, but it's undeniable they are a far bigger club than us.

Still find it funny how some people thought that Eddie Howe was really going to be interested in being our manager. Since he left Bournemouth, there has been a lot of interest in him and he was never going to come back to football management to manage a team languishing in the bottom half of the Championship.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Sven » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:59 am

skidemin wrote:

i dont see where else he was going to go....there was the Palace rumour but why would they get rid of a bloke who has kept them comfortably up on peanuts and replace with someone who got a relegation amidst a spending spree....
Roy may well go but i dont see Palace suddenly going mad in the transfer market..

The inside story (from a Crystal Palace employee of note) is that Roy will finish there this summer

This is borne out by the number of notable playing staffs 'out of contract' this summer who have been told they will have to wait to see if they will be offered new ones

Could be a clean slate for any incumbent manager and it would certainly suit Eddie Howe given his desire to remain in residence on the south coast (a tad short of a daily commute to the shady side of Glasgow) :laughing6: :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby skidemin » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:40 pm

Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:

The inside story (from a Crystal Palace employee of note) is that Roy will finish there this summer

This is borne out by the number of notable playing staffs 'out of contract' this summer who have been told they will have to wait to see if they will be offered new ones

Could be a clean slate for any incumbent manager and it would certainly suit Eddie Howe given his desire to remain in residence on the south coast (a tad short of a daily commute to the shady side of Glasgow) :laughing6: :thumbright:

the Roy and his staff out of contract in June has been quite a topic this while and as it gets closer the rumours snowball... it seems the board are dragging their heels and do not know what to do.... stick or twist.. personally i think he has done as good a job as possible 4 mid table finishes with a total 7 window budget which amounted to less than they sold wan bissaka for.... but seems the natives are restless and would like more... as for Howe big is his Ed he was never going there on Roys non spending terms... i think too many people think his finishes at little ol Bournemouth were a miracle because it was lil ol bournemouth without taking into account the bankrollong going on there...
skidemin

Postby davids » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:00 pm

It's quite a gamble for Celtic if they appoint him for a number of reasons.

He's never managed a "big" club before and no matter what most of us may think about them playing in a pub league with only one rival the fact is that with the level of support they can call on they are undoubtedly a "big" club where expectations will be far in excess of what was expected from him at Bournemouth.

He's also not proven that he can be a success at any club other than Bournemouth. His time at Burnley was disastrous and he was soon heading back to Bournemouth with his tail between his legs. Nathan Jones had the same sobering experience when leaving Luton for the brighter lights of Stoke - some managers just can't seem to repeat the success they have with a club where they feel most comfortable.

Can't blame him for setting his sights on a club with Champions League football guaranteed each season (well qualifying rounds at least) but I've a feeling he may struggle if he does take the job.
davids

Postby AfricanBluebird » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:57 pm

Yeah he also wanted to stay local, not far from the South Coast, so it seems a logical move for him to go to Glasgow.
AfricanBluebird

Postby RV Casual » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:48 pm

I wouldn't call it hate, probably people just spouting off on what they think is a 2 bob Football pyramid, and you cant realy blame them?

What's your knowledge on Scottish Football then other than Rangers and Celtic are massive Clubs?

The average attendance in the SPl is about 15,000, massively boosted by the two 'massive clubs', one game last season Hamilton vs Livingston had a crowd of 1075, that's about what Dover Athletic get.

The only people who go there now is someone who is starting out like Gerrard has or someone who has an affiliation to the Club like Rogers did.

I don't really rate Eddie Howe in the echelons that some people do but if he really is 'all that' as some spout going to Celtic is a lack of ambition.

Even the most passionate Scotsman wouldn't argue that the Scottish League has been diluted to the point of patheticness now, that's not to say that the Glasgow Clubs are not still big Clubs but it's like groundhog day up there.
RV Casual

Postby WestCoastBlue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:24 am

RV Casual wrote:

I wouldn't call it hate, probably people just spouting off on what they think is a 2 bob Football pyramid, and you cant realy blame them?

What's your knowledge on Scottish Football then other than Rangers and Celtic are massive Clubs?

The average attendance in the SPl is about 15,000, massively boosted by the two 'massive clubs', one game last season Hamilton vs Livingston had a crowd of 1075, that's about what Dover Athletic get.

The only people who go there now is someone who is starting out like Gerrard has or someone who has an affiliation to the Club like Rogers did.

I don't really rate Eddie Howe in the echelons that some people do but if he really is 'all that' as some spout going to Celtic is a lack of ambition.

Even the most passionate Scotsman wouldn't argue that the Scottish League has been diluted to the point of patheticness now, that's not to say that the Glasgow Clubs are not still big Clubs but it's like groundhog day up there.

I understand what you're getting at with your attendance point but you've got to remember Scotland is a very small country population wise. On a per capita basis the SPL is actually the best supported league in Europe, when you remove Celtic and Rangers the SPL is 5th best supported in Europe. I would also imagine if you removed the top 2 supported teams from all the other leagues the SPL would rise a place or too.

If you look at the average attendances of SPL (Plus Dundee Utd) compared to population, outside of the Old Firm teams they're still actually pretty good:

Hearts + Hibs - 35,339. Edinburgh Pop - 482k

Aberdeen - 14,925. Pop - 201k

Dundee FC + Utd - 11,103. Pop - 148k

Kilmarnock - 6,869. Pop - 46k

Motherwell - 5,448. Pop - 33k

St Mirren - 5,352. Paisley Pop - 77k

St Johnstone - 3,891. Perth Pop - 47k

Livingston - 3,664. Pop - 51k

Hamilton - 2,829. Pop - 53k

The quality of the SPL is definitely much poorer compared to other major European leagues and much much poorer from a financial sense as well. But the following it has and the support the Scots show can't be criticised in my opinion.

Also whilst the League has become undeniably boring, the cups are still very competitive. If you compare them with the English cups in the last 10 years, the numbers of different winners and finalists are actually, funnily enough, identical.

Scottish Cup - 5 different winners and 10 different finalists.
Scottish League Cup - 6 different winners and 13 different finalists.

FA Cup - 5 different winners and 10 different finalists.
League Cup - 6 different winners and 13 different finalists.
WestCoastBlue

Postby skidemin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:25 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:Yeah he also wanted to stay local, not far from the South Coast, so it seems a logical move for him to go to Glasgow.

must have fancied the Southampton job , every other PL club is 100+ miles away
skidemin

Postby skidemin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:14 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

I understand what you're getting at with your attendance point but you've got to remember Scotland is a very small country population wise. On a per capita basis the SPL is actually the best supported league in Europe, when you remove Celtic and Rangers the SPL is 5th best supported in Europe. I would also imagine if you removed the top 2 supported teams from all the other leagues the SPL would rise a place or too.

If you look at the average attendances of SPL (Plus Dundee Utd) compared to population, outside of the Old Firm teams they're still actually pretty good:

The quality of the SPL is definitely much poorer compared to other major European leagues and much much poorer from a financial sense as well. But the following it has and the support the Scots show can't be criticised in my opinion.

Also whilst the League has become undeniably boring, the cups are still very competitive. If you compare them with the English cups in the last 10 years, the numbers of different winners and finalists are actually, funnily enough, identical.

uhhhh...he probably knows all that but didnt mention per capita ,which has no bearing whatsover on the quality of the league......or mention cups... or was he critical of scots fans.... was about the poor standard of the league... it is poor
skidemin

Postby WestCoastBlue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:13 am

skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

uhhhh...he probably knows all that but didnt mention per capita ,which has no bearing whatsover on the quality of the league......or mention cups... or was he critical of scots fans.... was about the poor standard of the league... it is poor

I never denied the league is poor, I said "The quality of the SPL is definitely much poorer compared to other major European leagues". Although that was about the halfway mark so maybe your attention span ran out? I know you struggle with the longer posts, I'll throw in a bunch of "......." next time if that helps?

The original commenter, G3vans, was talking about the hate Scottish football gets as a whole. I'm mentioning attendances cause I've seen them used plenty of times to slag off Scottish football, I think maybe even on this forum.

As for the cups, despite the league being a mostly one horse race until recently, it shows that there is still competitiveness in Scottish Football. Another claim that I've seen plenty of times.

I also think the stats about the cups show that the Celtic job isn't unambitious. Before Rodgers, Celtic's last treble was in 2001, before that it was in the 60's. The league may be a cake walk (until now) but the cup competitions aren't. If Howe can prove his skills as a manager then in a few years he could be rewarded with a job at a Premier League club that plays European football much like Rodgers.
Of course the other ambition is European success. Not winning the CL or EL obviously, but qualifying for the group stage of the CL or reaching the last 16 in the EL would probably be considered successful and an ambitious target to set.
WestCoastBlue

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:23 am

I thought he likes to be the small fish in a big bowl - which is why Bournemouth suited hi, rather than the other way around in the SPL.
SPL - big firm derby of games - and the rest is not far off complete and utter gash. Any player worth their salt comes down south
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby skidemin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:52 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

I never denied the league is poor, I said "The quality of the SPL is definitely much poorer compared to other major European leagues". Although that was about the halfway mark so maybe your attention span ran out? I know you struggle with the longer posts, I'll throw in a bunch of "......." next time if that helps?

The original commenter, G3vans, was talking about the hate Scottish football gets as a whole. I'm mentioning attendances cause I've seen them used plenty of times to slag off Scottish football, I think maybe even on this forum.

As for the cups, despite the league being a mostly one horse race until recently, it shows that there is still competitiveness in Scottish Football. Another claim that I've seen plenty of times.

I also think the stats about the cups show that the Celtic job isn't unambitious. Before Rodgers, Celtic's last treble was in 2001, before that it was in the 60's. The league may be a cake walk (until now) but the cup competitions aren't. If Howe can prove his skills as a manager then in a few years he could be rewarded with a job at a Premier League club that plays European football much like Rodgers.
Of course the other ambition is European success. Not winning the CL or EL obviously, but qualifying for the group stage of the CL or reaching the last 16 in the EL would probably be considered successful and an ambitious target to set.

my attention span is fine............but what youve got to remember is ..just because some people do not post a complete google page as a response it really does not mean theyve not remembered those things they left out......
and yes i know Leicester won the league { so dont need a list of league winners :thumbup: } but its a stretch to describe Rogers taking over a club that play in Europe...
skidemin

Postby WestCoastBlue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:47 am

skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

my attention span is fine............but what youve got to remember is ..just because some people do not post a complete google page as a response it really does not mean theyve not remembered those things they left out......
and yes i know Leicester won the league { so dont need a list of league winners :thumbup: } but its a stretch to describe Rogers taking over a club that play in Europe...

They played in Europe this season?
WestCoastBlue

Postby RV Casual » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:20 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

Hello mate

Only just seen this sorry, haven't been on much lately.

All good points mate but I think we have gone off piste a bit, probably my fault by bringing the attendance things up but I was just trying to show that most top ambitious managers/players don't want to be playing in front of poor crowds every other week.

I would never knock Scottish fans, they are very much like the Welsh, most of them support an English side on top of their own (that I have met anyway). Passionate fans who support their Clubs, I don't doubt that.

I still think it would be an unambitious move for Eddie Howe though, not many Managers with serious ambition go to Scotland now unless, like I say they are either up and coming or have an affiliation to the Club like Brendan Rogers did/does for Celtic, especially once managed in the Premier League.

Its just my opinion that it would be an unambitious move but happy to agree to disagree what I will so though is whoever goes there is on a hiding to nothing, could be career suicide as they wont get time
RV Casual

Postby ThomasC » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:34 am

skidemin wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:Yeah he also wanted to stay local, not far from the South Coast, so it seems a logical move for him to go to Glasgow.

must have fancied the Southampton job , every other PL club is 100+ miles away

There's one job that might interest him after a break, his old one if a vacancy arises :bluebird: :ayatollah:
ThomasC

Postby skidemin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:40 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

They played in Europe this season?

so rewarded with a premier job at a club that plays in Europe.. actually means a premier league club that could play in Europe if the manager can get them there...
skidemin

Postby Jock » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:55 pm

The Scottish league is shite but what can we do, the Premier league gets all the money while the BBC pays Gary Lineker more than it pays Scottish Football for highlights. Howe will never have experienced pressure like the Celtic job, second is last in Glasgow.
Jock

Postby RV Casual » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:54 pm

Jock wrote:The Scottish league is shite but what can we do, the Premier league gets all the money while the BBC pays Gary Lineker more than it pays Scottish Football for highlights. Howe will never have experienced pressure like the Celtic job, second is last in Glasgow.

You cant do anything mate, it is what it is now.

It's not shit mate, it's just at a level now which it can't recover from, it's the same for all Leagues, I doubt a Team outside of England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France will ever win any of the European Cups again

Iv been to watch Rangers a few times at Ibrox, I loved it, great weekends away.

But the fact remains any decent manager with a bit of ambition now won't go up there unless there's a connection like Rogers or first job like Gerrard. Be a step back for Howe to go to Celtic.
RV Casual

Postby skidemin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:00 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Jock wrote:The Scottish league is shite but what can we do, the Premier league gets all the money while the BBC pays Gary Lineker more than it pays Scottish Football for highlights. Howe will never have experienced pressure like the Celtic job, second is last in Glasgow.

It's not shit mate, it's just at a level now which it can't recover from, it's the same for all Leagues, I doubt a Team outside of England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France will ever win any of the European Cups again

But the fact remains any decent manager with a bit of ambition now won't go up there unless there's a connection like Rogers or first job like Gerrard. Be a step back for Howe to go to Celtic.

agree about shite being the wrong word, but not so sure about the move being a backward step for him...where else could he go ?
skidemin

Postby RV Casual » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:04 pm

skidemin wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

agree about shite being the wrong word, but not so sure about the move being a backward step for him...where else could he go ?

If your last job was in the English Premier League and your next job is in the Scottish Premier League, for me mate that is a backwards step these days, even if the Club is Rangers or Celtic but that's just my personal opinion.

Where else could he go? Not sure, maybe end up at Newcastle? Southampton possibly, or if he is really as highly thought of as people say (I don't buy into it myself) maybe even the Arsenal or Spurs jobs
RV Casual

Postby Sven » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:35 pm

RV Casual wrote:
skidemin wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

If your last job was in the English Premier League and your next job is in the Scottish Premier League, for me mate that is a backwards step these days, even if the Club is Rangers or Celtic but that's just my personal opinion.

Where else could he go? Not sure, maybe end up at Newcastle? Southampton possibly, or if he is really as highly thought of as people say (I don't buy into it myself) maybe even the Arsenal or Spurs jobs

He's holding out for a south coast-centric Premier League job, which in itself shows a certain lack of real ambition; and even the Celtic job (no small commute :laughing6: ) is no longer a guarantee of success thanks to Gerrard at Rangers...

I don't think the truly 'big' clubs will take a chance on him, which might be a little unfair after the job he did at Bournemouth, so Palace looks to be a good fit :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Return to General Chat