Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Mick McCarthy says Watford defender is a big coward "

Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:35 pm

What sparked the mass melee at the end of Watford defeat and the 'big coward' who riled Cardiff City's Aden Flint

There was a fracas at the end of the encounter at Cardiff City Stadium as tempers flared following Adam Masina's last-gasp winner for the Hornets

0_JS230467782.jpg

Saturday 13th March

By Glen Williams

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy has revealed the reason behind the mass melee at the end of the defeat by Watford.

The game appeared to be heading towards a draw, however Adam Masina's free-kick, which was almost the last kick of the game, flew past Dillon Phillips to earn the Hornets a 2-1 win.

But it was the celebration which appeared to spark unsavoury scenes following the full-time whistle.

McCarthy said after the match that Watford defender Francisco Sierralta, who scored the own goal to give City the lead early on, provoked a reaction from City centre-back Aden Flint by the manner in which he celebrated.

The manager said Sierralta "screamed in his face and ran off like a big coward" before he was ushered down the tunnel following the full-time whistle.

And while McCarthy understands that emotions were running high, he also believes the celebrations could have been more gracious.

"There was a guy who got booked for fouling Flinty in the box," McCarthy said after the match. "He just ran and screamed in his face and ran off like a big coward.

"Maybe if you go and push Flinty you should stand up and see the recriminations.

"I'm glad he didn't! Because Flinty might have boxed him one and he would have had a red card.

"Listen, I understand their celebrations at the end of the game, but I do think it's good to be magnanimous in victory as well. And it's a lot easier to be magnanimous in victory.

"But I understand it, they are going for promotion.

"As disappointed as we are, you understand how elated they are."

It is the Bluebirds' first taste of defeat under the new manager, following an 11-game unbeaten run.

It was all the more disappointing given the soft nature of that injury-time winner.

Goalkeeper Phillips had been so calm and assured during the clash, as he has been for weeks now, but Masina's free-kick went straight through him almost inexplicably.

But while McCarthy revealed that Phillips was disappointed to let it past him, he was quick to point out just how well he had done in Alex Smithies' stead over the last nine games.

“It's very cruel and tough for the lads having worked so hard to keep a good team at bay for a good while," the manager added. "I thought the lads acquitted themselves very well.

“Then just at the very end they get the free-kick and poor old Dillon’s wondering how it happened.

“He did hit it particularly well. It’s just one of those things that happening so I won’t be too hard on Dillon, that’s for sure.

“Dillon’s saying he should have saved it. If he’s saying that then I'm not going to disagree with him, but he did hit it well.

“He saved two penalties a few weeks ago and we were all patting him on the back. I’ve no recriminations with him whatsoever."

Despite the disappointment of having slipped to seven points off the play-off spots, City will have to pick themselves up quickly with the games coming thick and fast.

Cardiff face Stoke City on Tuesday before the big South Wales derby next weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Mick McCarthy says Watford defender is a big coward "

Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:00 pm

Totally agree, if your going to give it the big “I am” at least have the bottle to carry it through

It was the fastest the Watford defender moved all game when he ran back into the changing room....embarrassing!!