Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FAO fish A Town like Merthyr

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Just watched the said program. Your gripe was it didn't show the nice parts of Merthyr!! but it was about unemployment, Benefits etc. My opinion it seemed like a fair report, The girl who doesn't look after her own daughter because of her drugs use then blamed the lack of jobs in the area. When asked about going to Cardiff to look for work she replied she didn't know the way :oops: :shock: That bloke Stephen who has been on incapacity benefits because of his neck for two years. The tone when he admitted that was of embarrassment.
The open cast mine who sent out 80 letters to people on job seekers allowance and only 5 applied says it all.
The guy who went to Cardiff who found a job for 10k a year!! total respect to him.
But to hit the nail on the head its the system that is wrong now if this young man who's girlfriend is expecting decided to go on benefits then he would get far more than the 10k he would get if he worked. This has to stop no one should get one penny more than any one that is prepared to work full stop. If this guy just wants more money all he needs to do is have more kids the more they have, the more benefits they can get. And if he really wants a lot more money he can always get alcohol dependant or drugs dependant.
I found the program very good, and if the truth hurts , that's there problem!The documentary did in fairness state the town had a very proud hard working history with the citizens were a proud comunity and rich in sporting history.
I for one will not boycott Sky News but Sky Sports that's different after there one sided bias against our club . :lol: :lol:

Re: FAO fish A Town like Merthyr

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:38 pm

But come on, you could go to any council estate and find unemployed people, every town has scum bags. The girl being one but we/she shouldn't have to look outside, the council/governmount should be helping local people get jobs in their area instead of travelling around 50 minutes. But my main point is why pick Merthyr? Yes, we have a bad employment:unemployment ratio but I doubt for a second we are the worst.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 pm

The reason they chose Merthyr due to it going from the busiest town in the world so a town dubbed with being one of the worst in Britain. The programme does not bother me it is people from Cardiff and other areas slagging Merthyr off and looking down on Merthyr and the valleys in general. Generally people from Cardiff are snobby arrogant little shits because they live there. It is true that it is weird that the valleys support City and not the jacks as people from Swansea are very similar to the valleys in that they seem to enjoy company wherever and whoever, Something which does not happen in Cardiff in general. Obviously not everyone in Cardiff is like this but the majority seem to be.
Also the press constantly slag Merthyr off when all in all it is not a bad place to live. Everyone is friendly. Places like the Gurnos and Gellideg are bad but so are areas in other parts of Britain. Someone posted on CCMB taht they were up the Gurnos and did not feel threatened however if you go to Grangetown or Ely they did.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:52 pm

Exactly walker

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:26 pm

Billy Hunt. wrote:But come on, you could go to any council estate and find unemployed people, every town has scum bags. The girl being one but we/she shouldn't have to look outside, the council/governmount should be helping local people get jobs in their area instead of travelling around 50 minutes. But my main point is why pick Merthyr? Yes, we have a bad employment:unemployment ratio but I doubt for a second we are the worst.

Why was Merthyr chosen ? Most probably because Merthyr has the highest rate of unemployed on incapacity benefit in the Country. if there are no jobs where you live then quite simples you get on your bike. But be honest the majority of those on benefits have no interest in getting a job do they ? There is jobs about as the programme states but the locals dont want them they would rather live of the tax payer. The system lets them live like this, Put it this way Billy a few years ago we would of liked another Kid but we couldn't afford it and at the time we didn't have another bedroom so we didn't have another child. We were disappointed but that's the way it is. Now move over to the scrounger family!! They dont have the money or room for any more children but they say f**k it and produce more and more kids and then demand more money of the hard working taxpayer and demand a bigger house with money not a problem.
The Benifits system were set up to help those that for reasons genuine say that cant work get the help. It was not set up so the f*cking bone idle can live there non exsistent lives free on us.
Yes this is happening up and down the Country in every town City Village not just Merthyr. Mertyr was chosen because it has the most offenders.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Nathan Walker wrote:The reason they chose Merthyr due to it going from the busiest town in the world so a town dubbed with being one of the worst in Britain. The programme does not bother me it is people from Cardiff and other areas slagging Merthyr off and looking down on Merthyr and the valleys in general. Generally people from Cardiff are snobby arrogant little shits because they live there. It is true that it is weird that the valleys support City and not the jacks as people from Swansea are very similar to the valleys in that they seem to enjoy company wherever and whoever, Something which does not happen in Cardiff in general. Obviously not everyone in Cardiff is like this but the majority seem to be.
Also the press constantly slag Merthyr off when all in all it is not a bad place to live. Everyone is friendly. Places like the Gurnos and Gellideg are bad but so are areas in other parts of Britain. Someone posted on CCMB that they were up the Gurnos and did not feel threatened however if you go to Grangetown or Ely they did.

So everyone who lives in Cardiff are arrogant little shits ? I dont live in Cardiff but my post does not slag of the residents of Merthyr either, I was slagging of the work shy layabouts that live up and down the country in every single town City in the country. Your post because you reckon the Citizens of Cardiff look down on Merthyr and the Valleys is total Bollocks. And i certainly did not say it was a bad place to live, but i wouldn't in a million years want to live on the Gurnos as the same i wouldn't want to live in Ely in Cardiff.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:37 pm

Fair enough with what your saying but I just dont see what point the programme made, yes we got scroungers but as you said who hasnt?

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:41 pm

I quite clearly say in my post that not everyone in Cardiff are like this. The same as I did not say in my post that you slagged off Merthyr!. The majority of CCMB and here have decent posters from Cardiff and I have friends from Cardiff. There is a large amount of people from Cardiff who look down on the valleys. Posters on CCMB admit to that. It is always going to happen. A capital city is going to look down on smaller parts. Again I didn't say you did say it was a bad place to live!

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Billy Hunt. wrote:Fair enough with what your saying but I just dont see what point the programme made, yes we got scroungers but as you said who hasn't?

At the moment Billy the benefits system is a hot topic and one that the taxpayer is generally concerned about. So they were looking to make this programme to highlight the problem. A few weeks ago figures released showed Merthyr has the highest rate on incapacity benefit in the Country so that is why they chose Merthyr. And also Merthyr has a very proud and hard working history so the programme was looking into what has changed.Why it has changed.
It is a problem caused by previous governments that has allowed this to happen and it has to change. But a lot of people dont know anything but signing on and there mindset needs to change because im sick and tired of paying for other peoples sprogs when i couldn't afford any more of my own. Dont get me wrong i can now but at 44 i think im to old for any more kids.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Nathan Walker wrote:I quite clearly say in my post that not everyone in Cardiff are like this. The same as I did not say in my post that you slagged off Merthyr!. The majority of CCMB and here have decent posters from Cardiff and I have friends from Cardiff. There is a large amount of people from Cardiff who look down on the valleys. Posters on CCMB admit to that. It is always going to happen. A capital city is going to look down on smaller parts. Again I didn't say you did say it was a bad place to live!

In the Valleys, Village from Village look down on one another, that was not the argument here either Chief.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:19 am

I missed this programme, but from what i gather it slammed Merthyr. Like a lot of people on here, i'm born & bred Merthyr. To be honest, Merthyr is a massive shit hole, but i wouldnt choose anywhere else in the world to be from. I admit, all this media bullshit does not help very much, but the majority of these people in the sick find it more beneficial to claim than get work. The government can clamp down all they like, but until they give these people incentives to work its gonna carry on. I know first hand how easy it is to claim rather than work and its silly. If Crawshay was alive today, he'd be turning in his grave! :P