Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mick McCarthy opens up on transfer plans after Cardiff City

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:51 am

Mick McCarthy opens up on transfer plans after Cardiff City appointment

Football 24/7

Sunday 24th January 2021

New Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy insists he hasn’t thought about new signings just yet, with the immediate focus on assessing his squad.

The former Ireland chief was named as Neil Harris’ successor last night, and he will be tasked with quickly turning things round for the Bluebirds.

To do that, some feel McCarthy will have to utilise the market, which closes in under two weeks time.

However, whilst the 61-year-old wouldn’t rule out any new recruits coming in, he made it clear that he hasn’t made any decisions just yet.

Mick Mccarthy:

“I haven’t spoken to him [Tan] about transfers. Bearing in mind, it was only completed yesterday and I had my first training session this morning."

“That’s putting the cart before the horse. I’ve got to see the players I’ve got, see what tune I can get out of them and we will discuss that when we have been in a few more days.”

"We both spoke only for a few minutes on the phone and he(Tan) welcomed me to the club, I look forward to meeting him(Tan) in the future, but for now I have a squad to assess myself and get them winning games."

McCarthy’s first game in charge of the Welsh side will be against Barnsley at Oakwell on Wednesday night.

The verdict

These are very fair and reasonable comments from McCarthy, and it will pleased the current squad that they will be given a chance to impress in training.

Of course, given his experience, McCarthy knows what’s needed to be successful at this level, so he won’t waste any time in making any big decisions that need to be made.

The squad at Cardiff is talented though, and you can’t imagine that many new additions will be needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Mick McCarthy opens up on transfer plans after Cardiff C

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:10 pm

No chance of making the play offs now who ever we sign and with a competent manager in charge we are fairly safe from going down, so unless a bargain pops up we need to concentrate on what we have got and rebuild in the summer

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:05 pm

It’s all very well buying youngsters who could potentially be another Vardy, however what our side desperately lacks is an experienced ball playing midfielder and someone with pace at centre back.
The midfielder should be someone like Milner.
There must be loads of prem players available possibly on loan, who are at the end of their careers looking for games. That said, what’s Shaqiri up to these days??

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:41 pm

I can see a plyer or 2 who have worked before for Mick coming in - If there is a chance to see new faces here .

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:01 am

JJ1927 wrote:No chance of making the play offs now who ever we sign and with a competent manager in charge we are fairly safe from going down, so unless a bargain pops up we need to concentrate on what we have got and rebuild in the summer

No chance? :?

Never say never or we may as well all stay at home

Oh, hang on...we are! :lol:

Always a chance we could go on a 'run' and although tough, we did it last year! :ayatollah: