Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City to name Mick McCarthy new manager

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:40 am

Hopefully just on a deal to the end of the season :roll:

Cardiff City are set to appoint Mick McCarthy as their new manager after sacking Neil Harris

By Rob Phillips

BBC Sport Wales football correspondent

Harris departed on Thursday after six straight defeats had left Cardiff 15th in the Championship, closer to the relegation zone than the play-offs.

Former Republic of Ireland and Wolves manager McCarthy left Cypriot champions Apoel earlier this month.

It is understood Cardiff have received several applications for the manager's post following Harris' exit.

But it is ex-Ipswich Town boss McCarthy who looks poised to take over at Cardiff City Stadium.

The length of the 61-year-old's contract has yet to be decided, but a deal is expected to be completed in a matter of days.

McCarthy inherits a Cardiff side low on confidence after a run of five successive defeats in the Championship and six in all competitions.

Harris, who succeeded Neil Warnock as Bluebirds boss in November 2019, had led the team to the play-off semi-finals last season.

However, he failed to reach the same heights during this campaign, which Cardiff started by winning only three of their first 13 matches.

They recovered with a run of four consecutive victories between November and December, but since then the Welsh side have lost seven of their eight fixtures.

Cardiff have turned to the vastly experienced McCarthy, who has won promotion to the Premier League with Sunderland and Wolves over the course of a managerial career dating back to 1992.

He has also had two stints in charge of the Republic of Ireland and managed Ipswich between 2012 and 2018.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City to name Mick McCarthy new manager

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 am

Last job only lasted a couple of months lol

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:46 am

f**k sake. Another opportunity wasted by the club. Shit appointment if true. He will do a better job than Harris but Nothing will change long term.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:46 am

If this is anything other than a short term deal to the end of the season I’ll be so disappointed. Another appointment without much thought

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:47 am

Escott1927 wrote:f**k sake. Another opportunity wasted by the club. Shit appointment if true. He will do a better job than Harris but Nothing will change long term.

Maybe until end of season only and they have their eye on another ?

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:49 am

Jonesy99 wrote:If this is anything other than a short term deal to the end of the season I’ll be so disappointed. Another appointment without much thought

Even if it is a short term deal, he will keep us up and he'll be be given a 2 year contract next season. Shocking appointment. No long term plan by the club. The sooner the board f**k off the better.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:53 am

If this is true, what a negative shirt sighted appointment

Who the hell advises Tan on these ridiculous appointments

Completely underwhelmed

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:55 am

I can accept this if it is until the end of the year. McCarthy is experienced at this level and would likely consolidate us, which is fine. But if this deal extends further than the summer, it is awful and like mentioned above, a very good opportunity missed.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:56 am

Mick McCarthy is set to take over as Cardiff City boss.

The former Republic of Ireland manager has been out of work since leaving Cypriot side APOEL earlier this month, a tenure that lasted just eight games.

It comes after predecessor Neil Harris was sacked following the defeat to Queens Park Rangers on Wednesday evening.

The 1-0 loss at the hands of the Hoops at Cardiff City Stadium was enough for Vincent Tan and Co, and the decision made to relieve Harris of his duties.

Paul Cook and Tony Pulis were both tipped as early favourites for the job, but its understood that McCarthy is the man the Bluebirds have now turned to.

Cardiff have lost seven out of their last eight games in all competitions and now face a massive task to reach the play-offs. City sit 15th, a whopping 13 points off the top six as things stand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:56 am

Ill go against the grain here and support this short term appointment, perhaps things are so bad behind the scenes with the squad , they feel they need someone with vast experience to keep us up?

An inexperienced first time appointment would be a hell of a risk given the situation we are in.

Relegation would be disastrous for the club.
Last edited by fred keenor on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:57 am

Certainly wouldn’t be my choice but he will stabilise the club.

Wouldn’t be a bad short-term appointment if there was a long-term plan.

He has got promoted twice and certainly had Ipswich punching above their weight with plenty of problems behind the scenes and they’ve suffered since he left.

Not exciting though.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:01 am

I give up.. Same old shit.. Great chance to invest in a young dynamic forward thinking manager but nope.. Same old same old

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:02 am

I have to be honest and say that whereas He's not my first choice, it could be worse imo.
I'm thinking we desperately need an old head in the first instance to steady the ship. I'd think differently if we were a few points away from play offs but we are way too close to the relegation places to experiment with a young manager without the know how that MM brings.
My first choice was Pearson and my longer term choice is Bellamy (with an old head by his side for guidance).
If (and it is 'if' at the moment) McCarthy is appointed, he'll get my full backing from the start. :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:02 am

fred keenor wrote:Ill go against the grain here and support this short term appointment, perhaps things are so bad behind the scenes with the squad , they feel they need someone with vast experience to keep us up?

An inexperienced first time appointment would be a hell of a risk given the situation we are in.

It's a multi-million pound business, not a beauty contest. The 1st objective is to stay in the Championship. The team's in free fall. There's not a chance that this squad would win promotion back to the Championship, more likely be there for years like Ipswich, Sunderland and Portsmouth. Wise choice for the short term.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:03 am

Escott1927 wrote:
Jonesy99 wrote:If this is anything other than a short term deal to the end of the season I’ll be so disappointed. Another appointment without much thought

Even if it is a short term deal, he will keep us up and he'll be be given a 2 year contract next season. Shocking appointment. No long term plan by the club. The sooner the board f**k off the better.

...and be replaced by who?
Hardly an orderly queue forming.

He’s certainly not my choice of manager, infact he’s not in my top 10 choices but I will support him. Let’s give him a chance, you never know. We got nothing to lose this season so let’s get behind him.
Welcome Mick :ayatollah:
Last edited by Ponty Bluebird on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

...and be replaced by who?
Hardly an orderly queue forming.

Exactly

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:04 am

Looking to the future then
Journeyman would he be that bothered if he took us down he would pick up his cheque shocking signing i despair.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:04 am

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:
fred keenor wrote:Ill go against the grain here and support this short term appointment, perhaps things are so bad behind the scenes with the squad , they feel they need someone with vast experience to keep us up?

It's a multi-million pound business, not a beauty contest. The 1st objective is to stay in the Championship. The team's in free fall. There's not a chance that this squad would win promotion back to the Championship, more likely be there for years like Ipswich, Sunderland and Portsmouth. Wise choice for the short term.

:clap:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am

His initials are.... MM :thumbup:
Last time we had those initials we got promoted ;)
Last edited by Ponty Bluebird on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

A fossil, a dinosaur, who should be managing Barnsley over 40s. I’d rather mick Hucknall.

I hate these kind of appointments, and once again no end in sight to this “let’s make us difficult to beat, long throws, sit behind the ball “ bollocks. That’s clearly our “philosophy “ and has become “The Cardiff Way” and miles away from playing expansive, fluid attacking football, which seems a lifetime away.

He’ll keep us up, improve morale, but the football will stay the same, and I can’t stand it

But seen it all before, but I keep the faith and I’ll Be There, a glutton for punishment
Last edited by tangledupinblue on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

litoblues wrote:I give up.. Same old shit.. Great chance to invest in a young dynamic forward thinking manager but nope.. Same old same old

I see your thinking but the 'young dynamic manager' has got no time to but his thoughts into practice mate; we are close to entering a relegation battle and need experience at the helm. Not my first choice but it could have been worse; remember what Trollope (youn? dynamic) did after Slade. :o

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:10 am

The guys most memorable moment as a manager is a bust up with Roy Keane 20 years ago.

Shambles.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:12 am

I'm positive about this.He will know alot of the players and among other things is a big fan of Kiefer Moore.From the same school as Warnock at least he won't try and bullshit fans with cliched politically correct talk.Also many on here wanted strong leadership and not a yes man.On that he fits the bill perfectly and will also see this as a big opportunity for himself.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:13 am

Not my choice but if he is appointed let's give him all the support we can. We have to stop moaning about every manager we have. If it doesn't work out then he will also go.If Bellamy was made manager and failed we would be calling for him to be sacked.
Hey that is how football works.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:15 am

If true let's give him a chance FFS, he knows his way around the Championship and will get the best out of the players we've got, and most of all, I don't think he's a "yes" man. I doubt he'd take it just to the end of this season, so maybe to the end of next season. Let's all be positive. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:19 am

He has the bottle to stand up to bully boy Keane . So he wont be taking any $#1+ from the players . He will also fetch more discipline and a work ethic, which wont be bad . But only short term to the end of the season please .

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:23 am

His form of attack is "CHARGE" we'll be playing shrewsbury next season i cannot get my head around this appointment after the depresive viewing from arris we now go even worse old school same as arris sacked from last job sorry for negativity but not lifted at all by this appointment swans must be laughing there heads off

FFS completely underwhelmed

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:25 am

If true - It could and should have been so much better. I wish him the best of luck in his new job of getting us back to mid table mediocracy....

Where was the appointment of a new young manager, a Steve Cooper or Eddie Howe type character Bellamy / Vincent Kompany etc .

Mick McCarthy is not one of those and he is no Neil Warnock either. A very average appointment, on the cheap no doubt, no contract cancellation fee to pay either. We might as well have gone after Slade

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:27 am

Short term appointment and I’d be interested in who his assistant will be if it’s him :bluescarf:

Whoever comes in it’s time for our support, they will have been sent in to identify the players who are weak etc.

Big clear out coming of the big earners and lazy ones. :bluescarf: