Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Glatzel's CCFC future?

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:23 am

What does the future hold for Robert Glatzel?

Not many goals have come from him since his arrival last season

Moore has done very well for us before his injury

Mark Harris fits the young/welsh/academy player mould that the club seem to want to focus on

Max Watters has been linked (albeit a rumour at the moment)

I for one would love to see him really progress in the Cardiff team - Neil Harris has said he's one of the best finishers he's seen as well - but is it going to work out for him? Is it too early to say?

Re: Glatzel's CCFC future?

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:39 am

I mentioned this in the thread relating to Watters signing. If this does go through, for me it's the end of Glatzel.

From my perspective it's a real shame. I've been really impressed by him when we play the ball on the ground, and to his strengths. He has a great touch, can hold the ball up well and run at defenders too, he also has a great finish.

However, we don't tend to play the ball along the floor often. When he comes on we generally launch the ball forward, and heading is definitely not one of his qualities. I was hoping we would adapt our style and he would come good, but this isn't looking likely.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:55 am

Problem with Glatzel is he can't play the loan striker role,Moore is much better at it.We paid a lot of money for him and are not going to get most of it back if we sell him so it is probably worth keeping him a a sub and cover for a front two of Moore and Watters if he signs. As for Harris I do like the bloke for his work rate and skills but he is not a forward. He hasn't scored goals for Port Vale,Newport,Wrexham and us. We are flogging a dead horse trying to make him into a striker. Perhaps give him one last chance on loan to a league one or two club or maybe try to convert him into some sort of midfield player. Think he is more in danger of losing his place than Glatzel.

If we did sign Watters and he can score at this level it would be the first time for ages we actually had TWO strikers up front who could score goals.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Crayfish wrote:Problem with Glatzel is he can't play the loan striker role,Moore is much better at it.We paid a lot of money for him and are not going to get most of it back if we sell him so it is probably worth keeping him a a sub and cover for a front two of Moore and Watters if he signs. As for Harris I do like the bloke for his work rate and skills but he is not a forward. He hasn't scored goals for Port Vale,Newport,Wrexham and us. We are flogging a dead horse trying to make him into a striker. Perhaps give him one last chance on loan to a league one or two club or maybe try to convert him into some sort of midfield player. Think he is more in danger of losing his place than Glatzel.

If we did sign Watters and he can score at this level it would be the first time for ages we actually had TWO strikers up front who could score goals.

Glatzel is just not good enough unfortunately and no more than a bench player

No pace and no strength

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:21 pm

Glatzel is not a target man and is much better with the ball played to his feet. Which is the opposite to how we play and use him. Until our tactics change we won't see the best from Glatzel. Which is a shame as he's a great finisher.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm

I think Glatzel is a good player, but he is the latest in a long line of players who Cardiff have failed to get the best out of.
Hes not a lone striker. He just doesn't suit a 433 formation. He's a number 10 and needs to be part of a strike partnership.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Glatzel prefers tippy tap football which is the opposite of what we play now!

However when we change which we will have to in the future I’d see him as a great striker.

Why would we get rid of him only to find in the next 12 months we are in the market for a player like him. Doesn’t make sense to let him go IMO

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:43 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:I mentioned this in the thread relating to Watters signing. If this does go through, for me it's the end of Glatzel.

From my perspective it's a real shame. I've been really impressed by him when we play the ball on the ground, and to his strengths. He has a great touch, can hold the ball up well and run at defenders too, he also has a great finish.

However, we don't tend to play the ball along the floor often. When he comes on we generally launch the ball forward, and heading is definitely not one of his qualities. I was hoping we would adapt our style and he would come good, but this isn't looking likely.

just dont know...the Watters transfer is a real punt , signed for Crawley 3 months ago and seems to be scoring for fun since but prior to October seemed to be struggling to find a club at all , even at non league level... but sometimes things happen in football that dont make much sense and i think we are due for one of these to work....

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:50 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:Glatzel prefers tippy tap football which is the opposite of what we play now!

However when we change which we will have to in the future I’d see him as a great striker.

Why would we get rid of him only to find in the next 12 months we are in the market for a player like him. Doesn’t make sense to let him go IMO

I agree with your post.

He’s a good player that’s plain to see. Because he’s tall a lot of our fans just think he should be similar to Moore - a target man who should win everything in the air. He’s not that type of player he’s more of a continental player suited to the opposite way we play.

I certainly wouldn’t want him to go due to us taking a gamble on a young lower division player and I don’t think he will go - unless of course a bid comes in for him and that’s the same as all our players virtually.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:55 pm

Not strong enough to hold the ball up. Lacks pace to take defenders on and he is terrible in the air. Agreed he doesn't suit our style but even if we played on the deck he still wouldn't be good enough.

Another 5.5 million down the drain we'll be lucky to get half of that back. Can see him going back to the German 2nd division.

He's had enough chances in my view. Might aswell cut our losses and take what we can for him now.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:07 pm

Crayfish wrote:Problem with Glatzel is he can't play the loan striker role,Moore is much better at it.We paid a lot of money for him and are not going to get most of it back if we sell him so it is probably worth keeping him a a sub and cover for a front two of Moore and Watters if he signs. As for Harris I do like the bloke for his work rate and skills but he is not a forward. He hasn't scored goals for Port Vale,Newport,Wrexham and us. We are flogging a dead horse trying to make him into a striker. Perhaps give him one last chance on loan to a league one or two club or maybe try to convert him into some sort of midfield player. Think he is more in danger of losing his place than Glatzel.

I think he’s going to be a loan striker soon.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:08 pm

Floppsy wrote:I think Glatzel is a good player, but he is the latest in a long line of players who Cardiff have failed to get the best out of.
Hes not a lone striker. He just doesn't suit a 433 formation. He's a number 10 and needs to be part of a strike partnership.

When him and Moore play together though it simply doesn’t work.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:34 pm

Doyley1927 wrote:
Floppsy wrote:I think Glatzel is a good player, but he is the latest in a long line of players who Cardiff have failed to get the best out of.

And how many games have those two actually started together?? Glatzel is an on the floor kind if striker,and came from a league that play a different game to what he has been asked to do here!! If we get rid of him for a striker from the lower reaches,id be very dissapointed tbh.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:35 pm

Get rid of Glatzel, 5.5 million he should be doing better

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:55 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:

And how many games have those two actually started together?? Glatzel is an on the floor kind if striker,and came from a league that play a different game to what he has been asked to do here!! If we get rid of him for a striker from the lower reaches,id be very dissapointed tbh.

I’m not saying with the right player Glatzel wouldn’t be good. Just not as a ten behind Moore.

I see Glatzel working more with a Tomlin behind him.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:45 pm

I don’t think Glatzel will leave but hey ho Harris does give out changeable messages.

It’s clear that Moore needs a striker to play alongside this lad maybe the answer. As it stands we can’t play 442 because our players are not good enough

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:59 pm

D.A.C. wrote:Not strong enough to hold the ball up. Lacks pace to take defenders on and he is terrible in the air. Agreed he doesn't suit our style but even if we played on the deck he still wouldn't be good enough.

Another 5.5 million down the drain we'll be lucky to get half of that back. Can see him going back to the German 2nd division.

He's had enough chances in my view. Might aswell cut our losses and take what we can for him now.

The above sad but true. I agree 100%
We should try to recoup some money on him. He has done some business with Whyte -sensible.Now if Harris can get rid of Pack from centre midfield and replace him with someone less negative and more mobile then I say “well done.” In fairness to Harris he inherited several very average players (Pack Glatzel Whyte etc). Towards the end of Warnocks reign he made some shocking deals(Vassell Flint etc). In addition, some of hisbetter purchases were getting long in the tooth (Bamba Hoillet); while sadly we lost NML for other reasons and Tomlin has a long term injury.
On the other hand Harris brought in Moore twice as good as RG for a fraction of the cost. Good luck to the bew lad and for goodness sake lets give him a chance :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Doyley1927 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:

I’m not saying with the right player Glatzel wouldn’t be good. Just not as a ten behind Moore.

I see Glatzel working more with a Tomlin behind him.

I agree,when he has played with tomlin,he looks much better,people bang on about his price? Hardly his fault that warnock paid that price tag,he has to be played in the right formation/line up to show his worth,I mean how long was madine given?? And cost as much,yet failed to find the net once!! I believe he will stay,or are we relying on an untested youngster, and moore? What if moore breaks down again?

Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:25 am

The worry for me is that Glatzel may score plenty of goals for other clubs if he leaves, just like Andrea Cornelius!

Robert clearly knows where the goal is; somehow we have to play to his strengths but when we are so short of numbers we don’t have the luxury of doing this.

Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:33 am

People bang on about not playing to his strengths but don't say what they are.

For what i can see he works hard and he has a powerful shot on him and thats about it

He can't control the ball
He can't head the ball
He can't hold it up
He doesn't get into goalscoring positions
He doesn't have many assists

Hes a very average player and would probably do well in league 1 where defenders are not so good. In the championship they have him in pockets.

Hes had loads of chances and not taken them , the truth is he is just not good enough at this level and need to be sold to make way for someone who is, stop looking at him with city tinted glasses and just look at the player . If he wasnin any other team in this league nobody would want to sign him