Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Does Jacks doing so well make you more want a change?

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:15 am

Doctor wrote:We sold out for 5 years on the spin and gradually increased capacity by a few hundred each year to try and squeeze more in. We only started not to by a couple of hundred in the last 2 years, by that time the people who were clamouring for the spare tickets had got used to not being able to go and getting into other routines. When people come back from Covid you will find attendances won’t be at the level they were before because people who once wanted to go have found other things to do now.

We didn’t expand because it wasn’t our stadium, nothing to do with the demand. We would both get 30k for some Premier League games. We took 42000 to Wembley for the play-offs against Reading. We would have done similar for all the big matches in the first two years before the novelty wears off. With the greatest of respect, you guys haven’t had the luxury of the PL factor wearing off and becoming established, it’s still pretty new to your fans.

In terms of catchment area, your catchment area is our catchment area. We are 40 mins apart. There are constant moans on here that there are now Swansea shirts walking around in what you previously considered “Cardiff territory”. That’s the way of the world. I also remember the annoyance that our academy centres were on your doorstep. The whole of South and Mid Wales is both of our catchment areas, whichever side succeeds gets to tap into it.

As I have shown further up the thread, over the last 40 years there is 1000 between our average attendances and that’s including the time our demand could not be satisfied due to capacity restrictions.

:blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5:

Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:36 am

Doctor wrote:We sold out for 5 years on the spin and gradually increased capacity by a few hundred each year to try and squeeze more in. We only started not to by a couple of hundred in the last 2 years, by that time the people who were clamouring for the spare tickets had got used to not being able to go and getting into other routines. When people come back from Covid you will find attendances won’t be at the level they were before because people who once wanted to go have found other things to do now.

We didn’t expand because it wasn’t our stadium, nothing to do with the demand. We would both get 30k for some Premier League games. We took 42000 to Wembley for the play-offs against Reading. We would have done similar for all the big matches in the first two years before the novelty wears off. With the greatest of respect, you guys haven’t had the luxury of the PL factor wearing off and becoming established, it’s still pretty new to your fans.

In terms of catchment area, your catchment area is our catchment area. We are 40 mins apart. There are constant moans on here that there are now Swansea shirts walking around in what you previously considered “Cardiff territory”. That’s the way of the world. I also remember the annoyance that our academy centres were on your doorstep. The whole of South and Mid Wales is both of our catchment areas, whichever side succeeds gets to tap into it.

The facts on potential are,
Cardiff City Record Attendance 57,893,
Swansea City Record Attendance 32,796
Cardiff City Average Attendance in Premier League 31,229
Swansea City Average Attendance in Premier League 18,737.

Doc you’re living in fantasy land if you think Swansea City is a bigger club than Cardiff City! As you are a member of Wales’s biggest Club’s forum I wonder if deep down you’re a Bluebird rather than a Jack!

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:07 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:

Doc you’re living in fantasy land if you think Swansea City is a bigger club than Cardiff City! As you are a member of Wales’s biggest Club’s forum I wonder if deep down you’re a Bluebird rather than a Jack!

It’s not what I think, it’s what I know to be the case.

Record attendance is meaningless. They are one off things. As for Premier League attendance, that’s due to stadium restrictions. There won’t be many people outside the walls of Cardiff that think anything different.

The fact is over the last 40 years out attendances have pretty much been the same, 1000 between us... that’s with is having a restricted capacity.

In that time we have finished multiple times in the top half of the Premier League including a top 8 finish, got to the knockout stages of Europe through the English system, won a major trophy, had 7 years in the Premier League. The list is endless.

Talksport has us as 30th biggest club in Britain. You didn’t feature in the top 30 list. I agree with their list.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:33 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:

Actual facts can't argue that people may try (one person) we all know the facts end of sports :thumbup:

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skiprat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Grandstand wrote:It does for me. The board, managers, players must look West and be puzzled/angry why we are below average. We are a bigger club , pay higher wages and yet we are drifting to another crap season.

Yes but don’t worry as it won’t last long down there :happy1:

How do you come to that assumption?.

It’s my opinion.

It’s my opinion that the success won’t last long down west.

They'll be relegated in their first season. They'll be found out in the second season. Now they are back in the Championship they'll plummet like a stone. They are finished now they are selling Michu/Bony/Sigurdsson/Vorm/Llorente/Gomis/Clucas/McBurnie/Cork/Fabianski/Allen/James/Mawson etc. It's my opinion they'll do just fine for a good while to come despite the Americans, but it's fact that Cardiff need serious change regardless of what Swansea are doing.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:43 pm

Bluebina wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Actual facts can't argue that people may try (one person) we all know the facts end of sports :thumbup:

Irrelevant facts aren’t very telling though.

But I’m sure people in Cardiff will like them, it keeps the myth that only exists there alive.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:09 pm

BroBlue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skiprat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Grandstand wrote:It does for me. The board, managers, players must look West and be puzzled/angry why we are below average. We are a bigger club , pay higher wages and yet we are drifting to another crap season.

It’s my opinion.

They'll be relegated in their first season. They'll be found out in the second season. Now they are back in the Championship they'll plummet like a stone. They are finished now they are selling Michu/Bony/Sigurdsson/Vorm/Llorente/Gomis/Clucas/McBurnie/Cork/Fabianski/Allen/James/Mawson etc. It's my opinion they'll do just fine for a good while to come despite the Americans, but it's fact that Cardiff need serious change regardless of what Swansea are doing.

They've sold them all, it's kept them going but they can't sell their loan players, just lose them if they perform well and are recalled, it's working well so far but can't be a long term plan unless there is also some investment.

Shit or bust for them, they have no one to bail them out, the Americans want profit not loss!

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:14 pm

Bluebina wrote:
BroBlue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skiprat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

It’s my opinion.

They've sold them all, it's kept them going but they can't sell their loan players, just lose them if they perform well and are recalled, it's working well so far but can't be a long term plan unless there is also some investment.

Shit or bust for them, they have no one to bail them out, the Americans want profit not loss!

That’s the point he’s making. Similar things have been said about every player we have had for the last 15 years.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Doctor wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
BroBlue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skiprat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

It’s my opinion.

That’s the point he’s making. Similar things have been said about every player we have had for the last 15 years.

:sleepy2: :sleepy2: as if :sleepy2: :sleepy2: FO :wave:

Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:07 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:
"Doctor" wrote:The facts on potential are,

I suggest you revisit your figures . You are correct are for your last one season in the PL you did indeed achieve an average of 31,229 (taken from one year ) but then after yet another relegation your attendances dropped like a stone. If you wish to compare attendance figures and just as importantly loyalty to the respective Clubs then I suggest Swansea has significantly kept higher attendances in comparison to maximum capacity . After Swansea's relegation from the PL they still managed to sell 15,000 STs and average attendances of 16,261 , 4k short of capacity and during its 7 year run in the PL the Club sold out on 57 occasions , yourselves 13 times and that was in your first shot at playing with the big boys ,not once did you sell out in your second attempt with your average attendance in 2019.20 was 20,738 ,13,000 short of capacity, that just shows the interest in cardiff isn't as great as you think it is . You like ourselves have always been small to middling sized Clubs and to think any differently is frankly illusionary , the difference being we're good at what we do yourselves not so.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:31 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:

He has been known to attend Bluebird games...and on the blue side of the fence, too! ;)

Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:32 pm

Sven wrote:He has been known to attend Bluebird games...and on the blue side of the fence, too! ;)

Not like you to make things up... oh hang on.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:41 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

I suggest you revisit your figures . You are correct are for your last one season in the PL you did indeed achieve an average of 31,229 (taken from one year ) but then after yet another relegation your attendances dropped like a stone. If you wish to compare attendance figures and just as importantly loyalty to the respective Clubs then I suggest Swansea has significantly kept higher attendances in comparison to maximum capacity . After Swansea's relegation from the PL they still managed to sell 15,000 STs and average attendances of 16,261 , 4k short of capacity and during its 7 year run in the PL the Club sold out on 57 occasions , yourselves 13 times and that was in your first shot at playing with the big boys ,not once did you sell out in your second attempt with your average attendance in 2019.20 was 20,738 ,13,000 short of capacity, that just shows the interest in cardiff isn't as great as you think it is . You like ourselves have always been small to middling sized Clubs and to think any differently is frankly illusionary , the difference being we're good at what we do yourselves not so.

Yep. If we had a 35,000 stadium in our first 2 seasons we would have come close to, if not completely selling out against the big boys. Tickets for games vs Man Utd and Liverpool were going for hundreds of pounds. The demand was massive. Cardiff haven’t had that novelty factor wear off because they have only been on 2 short ‘happy to be there’ jaunts.

Both 2016 and 2017, prior to their promotion year, they averaged 16,500 each year. Which seems to be their base championship attendance, similar to us. Any more and they are doing well, and less and they are probably languishing, again same as us.

Their stadium has allowed them to peddle their own myth within Cardiff walls. The stadium that is half empty for the majority of the time, but when the big boys come to town the glory hunters want to see them. Something we couldn’t accomodate at our stadium so didn’t get the benefit of. That’s pretty much the only difference between the two clubs in terms of attendance, plus 1000 here or there.

The great Cardiff myth, that nobody outside of Cardiff buys into. :D

Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:02 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skiprat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

It’s my opinion.

If you really want to look at success that doesn't last, take a look at your two visits to the Premiership.

Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:22 pm

Jackflash wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skiprat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

It’s my opinion.

If you really want to look at success that doesn't last, take a look at your two visits to the Premiership.

I’m commenting on the thread title mush

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:53 pm

Doctor wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Yep. If we had a 35,000 stadium in our first 2 seasons we would have come close to, if not completely selling out against the big boys. Tickets for games vs Man Utd and Liverpool were going for hundreds of pounds. The demand was massive. Cardiff haven’t had that novelty factor wear off because they have only been on 2 short ‘happy to be there’ jaunts.

Both 2016 and 2017, prior to their promotion year, they averaged 16,500 each year. Which seems to be their base championship attendance, similar to us. Any more and they are doing well, and less and they are probably languishing, again same as us.

Their stadium has allowed them to peddle their own myth within Cardiff walls. The stadium that is half empty for the majority of the time, but when the big boys come to town the glory hunters want to see them. Something we couldn’t accomodate at our stadium so didn’t get the benefit of. That’s pretty much the only difference between the two clubs in terms of attendance, plus 1000 here or there.

I think the Euros showed the potential of Cardiff’s support.

There was a huge amount of Cardiff fans in France.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Doyley1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Don't you mean Welsh fans ?

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:33 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Of course welsh fans. The atmosphere was very good out there. I was in Bordeaux and it was Wales not Cardiff/Swansea et all. That’s a good thing and how it always should be.

But Cardiff supporters made up a huge amount of those fans. I’m using a point to highlight our potential to Roathie.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:34 am

Doyley1927 wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Of course welsh fans. The atmosphere was very good out there. I was in Bordeaux and it was Wales not Cardiff/Swansea et all. That’s a good thing and how it always should be.

But Cardiff supporters made up a huge amount of those fans. I’m using a point to highlight our potential to Roathie.

How on earth would you possibly know that? You mean Cardiff are the club that have supporters that feel the need to deface the Welsh flag with the name of the club, giving a false impression on the amount that represent them?

Surely your own clubs support should be representative of your potential or current size, not the following of another team. I would suggest that if tens and tens of thousands of Cardiff fans went to France, yet don’t show up for your own games.... then they aren’t really Cardiff fans are they.

Recent history tells us where you are as a club and support. Over 40 years you have averaged 1000 more than us, and that’s with us having a restricted capacity and being full for an eighth of that time. Dress it up as you like.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:05 am

Doctor wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

How on earth would you possibly know that? You mean Cardiff are the club that have supporters that feel the need to deface the Welsh flag with the name of the club, giving a false impression on the amount that represent them?

Surely your own clubs support should be representative of your potential or current size, not the following of another team. I would suggest that if tens and tens of thousands of Cardiff fans went to France, yet don’t show up for your own games.... then they aren’t really Cardiff fans are they.

Recent history tells us where you are as a club and support. Over 40 years you have averaged 1000 more than us, and that’s with us having a restricted capacity and being full for an eighth of that time. Dress it up as you like.

I was there. It was obvious.

Plus there were approximately 21,000 fans who flew for the Euros. 86% from Cardiff airport. You can’t get more proof than that.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 am

Doyley1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Plus there were approximately 21,000 fans who flew for the Euros. 86% from Cardiff airport. You can’t get more proof than that.

Of course it wasn’t obvious, you just made it up. There is absolutely no way to tell who tens of thousands of international fans support, you can make it up to suit what you want, but there is no way of telling... other than the saddos that insist on putting CCFC over our welsh dragon, and there was not tens of thousands of those.

As for flying from Cardiff, most fans from South and mid Wales would have done so. Since when do you have to be a supporter of a club near the airport you flew from? You are making square pieces fit into round holes.

Again, over the last 40 years you have averaged 1,000 more than us. An 8th of that time we were hampered by max capacity.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:22 am

Doctor wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Of course it wasn’t obvious, you just made it up. There is absolutely no way to tell who tens of thousands of international fans support, you can make it up to suit what you want, but there is no way of telling... other than the saddos that insist on putting CCFC over our welsh dragon, and there was not tens of thousands of those.

As for flying from Cardiff, most fans from South and mid Wales would have done so. Since when do you have to be a supporter of a club near the airport you flew from? You are making square pieces fit into round holes.

Again, over the last 40 years you have averaged 1,000 more than us. An 8th of that time we were hampered by max capacity.

The airport line was a joke.

We were restricted by capacity of Ninian Park for a lot of that.

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:49 am

Doyley1927 wrote:
The airport line was a joke.

We were restricted by capacity of Ninian Park for a lot of that.

which years?

Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:12 am

Very very grudgingly,
I agree with the jacks in this.

Im embarrassed that we had it.
Those wembleys and they got
To premier before us.
Stayed there for more than 1 season too.
While we have yo yo'd and spunked millions.
They have made money
Blooded young and transfer at a profit.
Their fake world fanbase has grown considerably. Ours not so.
The above are facts.

We need promotion or cup run(s) to be the bigger club.
Looking back at 1927 or remember div 4 aint growing our club.
Their club hates us. Forget the fans!
f*cking hate it and we need the same
Here. That must be burned into our players and management when they join. Like Wales v england.

We cant have those smug cnuts lording it.
We are Cardiff FFS
Aim for no 1 or give up...

Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:00 pm

Bluebina wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Bluebina, I've asked you this question on a previous occasion, for some reason you failed to answer, maybe you can't think of a suitable one. but I'll keep asking, " Who are the most successful club in Wales" Forget all your crap about biggest club and biggest fan base etc.etc.It's a very simple question with a very simple answer.

Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:10 pm

eddiep wrote:Very very grudgingly,
I agree with the jacks in this.

Im embarrassed that we had it.
Those wembleys and they got
To premier before us.
Stayed there for more than 1 season too.
While we have yo yo'd and spunked millions.
They have made money
Blooded young and transfer at a profit.
Their fake world fanbase has grown considerably. Ours not so.
The above are facts.

We need promotion or cup run(s) to be the bigger club.
Looking back at 1927 or remember div 4 aint growing our club.
Their club hates us. Forget the fans!
f*cking hate it and we need the same
Here. That must be burned into our players and management when they join. Like Wales v england.

We cant have those smug cnuts lording it.
We are Cardiff FFS
Aim for no 1 or give up...

I’m glad someone hasn’t lost total grip of reality.

Of course, you are correct. But it may not always be this way, but you guys will actually have to achieve things before you can try and catch up.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:12 am

Doyley1927 wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

When you were challenged on a different thread the other day you denied any knowledge of knowing roathie you now bring his name to this thread hmmmmmm :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:09 am

Well I for one , would like Swansea to go up.
Because it would cost them a fortune ,to replace the loan players they have .
Would the hedge funders , fund that . After all they are in it to make money , not spend it !
It could turn out to be quite an embarrassing season for them in the EPL .
I cant remember the last player , they actually paid a fee for ?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:26 am

Doctor wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
Doyley1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:

Probably not the best idea for a Swansea fan to talk about defacing the Welsh Flag eh...

Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:38 pm

nojac wrote:Well I for one , would like Swansea to go up.
Because it would cost them a fortune ,to replace the loan players they have .
Would the hedge funders , fund that . After all they are in it to make money , not spend it !
It could turn out to be quite an embarrassing season for them in the EPL .
I cant remember the last player , they actually paid a fee for ?

Short memory then? Jamal Lowe 800k and Ryan Manning 250k.

Of course they would fund that (Premier League signings). They spend tens of millions when we were there last time, smashed our transfer record actually.

It’s how they would make money, by improving and selling the club.