Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

West Ham eyeing Cardiff City’s Captain

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:39 am

David Moyes the Hammers boss, is looking for a defender and it is known he is a big admirer of the Cardiff Captain Sean Morrison.

Bluebirds ace Morrison is said to be one name being considered.

HTC/ Media Wales and Daily Mail all reporf.

Friday 9th October 2020

Morrison has twice played in the top flight - firstly with Reading and then again with Cardiff two years ago - and there is a suggestion the Hammers could be tempted to take him back to the Premier League.

Morrison attracted interest from Premier League clubs following Cardiff's relegation a couple of seasons ago, but Neil Warnock insisted on keeping his prized captain for an intended promotion push from the Championship.

Warnock has since left, of course, but Morrison remains a dressing room kingpin under Neil Harris as Cardiff seek another top six spot this season.

Losing Morrison would be a blow for Cardiff fans. But it would be hard to stand in his way of a move to West Ham and it remains to be seen if Moyes follows through his interest in the coming days before the closure of the domestic transfer window next Friday.

Cardiff still need to offload a couple more players before Neil Harris can bring any permanent signings in and if West Ham are willing to buy Morrison, then Harris hands will be tied and would have to let him go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: West Ham eyeing Cardiff City’s Captain

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:23 am

kimble wrote:David Moyes the Hammers boss, is looking for a defender and it is known he is a big admirer of the Cardiff Captain Sean Morrison.

Bluebirds ace Morrison is said to be one name being considered.

HTC/ Media Wales and Daily Mail all reporf.

Friday 9th October 2020

Morrison has twice played in the top flight - firstly with Reading and then again with Cardiff two years ago - and there is a suggestion the Hammers could be tempted to take him back to the Premier League.

Morrison attracted interest from Premier League clubs following Cardiff's relegation a couple of seasons ago, but Neil Warnock insisted on keeping his prized captain for an intended promotion push from the Championship.

Warnock has since left, of course, but Morrison remains a dressing room kingpin under Neil Harris as Cardiff seek another top six spot this season.

Losing Morrison would be a blow for Cardiff fans. But it would be hard to stand in his way of a move to West Ham and it remains to be seen if Moyes follows through his interest in the coming days before the closure of the domestic transfer window next Friday.

Cardiff still need to offload a couple more players before Neil Harris can bring any permanent signings in and if West Ham are willing to buy Morrison, then Harris hands will be tied and would have to let him go.

Be a mistake getting rid of him but I think if he wants to go then there's no stopping him

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:36 am

300k they are having a laugh.
If Rondon is worth 18 million Moza must be worth 9 million at least.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:58 am

If that’s true he’s gone as he won’t turn down another season in Prem. we’d be stuck with Flint and screwed.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:46 am

Those that threw their toys out over Patterson will be suicidal over this if it happens. :lol:

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:55 am

dazza wrote:300k they are having a laugh.
If Rondon is worth 18 million Moza must be worth 9 million at least.

Realistically we should not be selling him for less than 5 million. If they want him they should pay for him at a proper rate.

Sick and tired of our club accepting derisory offers for our players especially when we have just had two years of massive parachute payments, pandemic or no pandemic.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:58 am

Every player has his price and we have an excellent replacement in Flint who actually scores more goals from set pieces!

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:11 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:Every player has his price and we have an excellent replacement in Flint who actually scores more goals from set pieces!

With Flint in the team we'd be far closer to the bottom of the table than the top.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:12 am

With prem teams opting to play it out from defence I cant really see this happening. No offence to Morrison but he's a no nonsense defender who is fairly limited with the ball at his feet.

If it were to happen though, we should be demanding at least £6mill for him. Probably worth around 3mill in todays market plus extra for taking our captain. As much as id like to see us bring in better ball playing cbs I dont think now would be a good time to do it. Unless the club have got someone lined up to come in straight away.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:13 am

Flint is useless.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:48 am

My favourite player to ever represent the club due to his “beast mode activated” style of play and having met him, he has a good sense of humour which bodes well for squad cohesion. Would not want to see him leave, especially for a pittance.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:46 pm

He was slagged on hear for years. Best of luck to him I say, big thanks from me for what he achieved with us.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Key Cardiff City man attracting Premier League interest

By Toby Wilding

09/10/2020

West Ham are interested in a possible move to sign Cardiff City captain Sean Morrison.

The Hammers are in the market for a centre back before the domestic transfer window closes next Friday, having missed out on a new option for the centre of their defence in the international market that concluded earlier this week.

Now it seems that may have prompted the club to turn their attention to the Welsh capital, as they look for a new recruit in that area of the pitch.

According to the latest reports, West Ham have identified Morrison as one potential option to fill that role, with Bournemouth’s Steve Cook and Watford’s Craig Dawson also under consideration.

Having joined Cardiff from Reading in 2014, Morrison has made 242 appearances in all competitions for the Bluebirds, scoring 25 goals and helping them win promotion to the Premier League during the 2017/18 season.

As things stand, there are still two years remaining on Morrison’s contract with Cardiff, securing his future at the club until the end of the 2021/22 season, putting them in a decent position to negotiate any offer that might come in for him.

The Verdict

This is an interesting one.

Morrison’s experience and presence in the heart of the defence for Cardiff could make him a decent option for West Ham, although may be some concern that his only season in the Premier League ended in relegation.

Indeed, you also feel as though Cardiff will be reluctant to let such an important leave on the cheap, particularly with so little time remaining in the window for them to sign a replacement for the centre of their defence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:00 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Those that threw their toys out over Patterson will be suicidal over this if it happens. :lol:

well..it would be nice to read about something positive happening....

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:13 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Those that threw their toys out over Patterson will be suicidal over this if it happens. :lol:

Indeed :lol:

Personally, I will be gutted if Moza goes and many only ever really appreciate him when he is out injured and the team are suddenly struggling on a rudderless boat

However, who could genuinely begrudge Mozza the opportunity its to ply his trade once more in the Premier League and for a team looking likely to have one of their better seasons for some time

From our point of view, I hope it doesn't happen; but from Mozza'as side, with the right compensation to the Bluebirds, I (sort of) hope it does and he goes and does himself justice in the way he did for us the season before last! :thumbright:

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:22 pm

Will the last player to leave please turn out the lights

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:10 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:Will the last player to leave please turn out the lights

Why do I get the impression you would relish that? :?

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:21 pm

Why on earth does the article go on and say "need to offload more players before recruiting..?"

The club haven't said that.

After all our offloads already I doubt it's the case.
Ward, ML, Etheridge, Pato plus Peltier.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:40 pm

Sven wrote:
Big Hill Blue wrote:Will the last player to leave please turn out the lights

Why do I get the impression you would relish that? :?

Absolutely not. Just concerned seems to be one way traffic...

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:40 pm

Harris wanting to play on the deck may be looking to next season.. plus Mozza is probably on a tidy stack. If he does go, good luck, West Ham are a good club.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:00 pm

Sven wrote:

Personally, I will be gutted if Moza goes and many only ever really appreciate him when he is out injured and the team are suddenly struggling on a rudderless boat

However, who could genuinely begrudge Mozza the opportunity its to ply his trade once more in the Premier League and for a team looking likely to have one of their better seasons for some time

From our point of view, I hope it doesn't happen; but from Mozza'as side, with the right compensation to the Bluebirds, I (sort of) hope it does and he goes and does himself justice in the way he did for us the season before last! :thumbright:

Thats my thinking

Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:43 pm

Sven wrote:

I was saying to a mate in work I am surprised Fulham didn't come in for him, because its not scoring goals they will struggle with, its stopping them. He is a great stopper and has been one of the top 3 centre halfs in the championship for the last 5 years.
Is he any worse than Ginge ? and he made a great career out of it

This isn't a Paterson thing, this would take money to remove him. He is a lynchpin and our captain, but you wouldn't want to stop him securing a decent three year deal on premier dosh.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:53 pm

I must be in a minority of 1 who wont mind him going! Last season he did nothing this one not exactly done much more in fact he seems to be centre of everything we do without having any effect, but plenty of mistakes costing goals..... cant vault him as captain but someone else can do that job....
Ps be a relief for throwins corners & freekicks be directed in middle of pen area and not at his head. :o

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:18 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Sven wrote:

I was saying to a mate in work I am surprised Fulham didn't come in for him, because its not scoring goals they will struggle with, its stopping them. He is a great stopper and has been one of the top 3 centre halfs in the championship for the last 5 years.
Is he any worse than Ginge ? and he made a great career out of it

This isn't a Paterson thing, this would take money to remove him. He is a lynchpin and our captain, but you wouldn't want to stop him securing a decent three year deal on premier dosh.

Fair point but Mozza to the Happy Clappers would be like boarding the 'Marie Celeste' right now :cry:

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:27 pm

Absolutely nothing in this. Total nonsense as I understand.

Just the media throwing a name out there with no substance to it.

Thought this would happen around about now with some of our players, as Premier League clubs can now only buy from the EFL and below.

I expect to see more bullshit stories like this in the press until the window closes.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:35 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Absolutely nothing in this. Total nonsense as I understand.

Just the media throwing a name out there with no substance to it.

Thought this would happen around about now with some of our players, as Premier League clubs can now only buy from the EFL and below.

I expect to see more bullshit stories like this in the press until the window closes.

I agree,,, know doubt that one or two agents are actively trying to engineer, manipulate, and facilitate moves for their clients,,, that’s what their paid for. Happens all the time.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:38 am

Oh dear how long is this rebuild of harris and the board going to take no sooner we take stock of what we got
another bomshell a transitional season and rebuild i thinks what a shame if your captain jumps ship.