Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Jerome barb that fired Bluebirds

Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:29 pm

The Jerome barb that fired Bluebirds

By Tom Coleman

Wednesday 7th October 2020

The infamous 'snowgate' incident is one of the biggest controversies in recent Bluebirds history. Warnock took his men to injury-hit Derby only to see the game postponed - when it seemed to everyone the conditions were more than playable. Derby won the replayed game 3-1, but former Bluebirds striker Cameron Jerome seemed to rub Warnock up the wrong way - and helped drive the promotion dream.

"I remember Cameron Jerome scoring a couple and somebody that I knew was up in the lounge after the game," says Warnock in the book. "Apparently Jerome went up there with the owner, Mel Morris, to be presented with Man Of The Match.

"And the compere says to him: 'Looks very good for the play-offs now, who would you want in the play-offs?' and he said 'I wouldn't mind this lot, Cardiff.’

“It was us or Fulham and everyone said Fulham were going to steamroller us - they'd said it for six to eight weeks. And they should have done. They had the best squad by a mile.

“I texted Mel Morris and said 'Well I hope I disappoint you'. That made me more determined."

Jerome, a former Cardiff striker, had lit the blue touch paper it seems - and the Bluebirds responded.