Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' The sad and sudden end '

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:52 am

The sad and sudden end of Neil Warnock at Cardiff City

By Paul Abdanatado (Chief Sports writer Media Wales)

Wednesday 7th October 2020

Neil Warnock intended to take Cardiff straight back up last season, but left suddenly after a home defeat to Bristol City. He wasn't happy with some of the criticism he was receiving.

One of Warnock’s regular habits was to read everything, even delving into the fan forums and newspaper columns – through the good periods and the bad. But when times are tough the comments become a little more difficult to swallow.

The criticism was beginning to outstrip the plaudits. It started to sting.

NEIL WARNOCK:

“That’s probably been my downfall as well, because I listened to those when I left,” Warnock reflects. “I probably read too much into it. And I always said if they started to question things, then let’s leave them on a high because we don’t want to leave them on a low. And good luck to them.

“It was just the bitterness from some of them on the forums, without naming names. And some of the accusations as well, they were quite derogatory. It just left a nasty taste in the mouth.

“I thought at the end of the day I’d done my bit, let somebody else come in. Sometimes the grass isn’t always greener. I will do something else.

"I didn’t want to get kicked out with booing or anything because I didn’t want to remember it like that.

“I know it was only a few of the fans and when I left I was inundated with letters and stuff saying how sorry they were that I went.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' The sad and sudden end '

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:28 am

I still say he should have stayed he could have easily have got through that bad period

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:43 am

Allowing that to eat into you in a weakness for a manager in my view.

Personally I think there is a bit more to it than a few fans on the forums having their say.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:46 am

cardiff 74 wrote:I still say he should have stayed he could have easily have got through that bad period

He doesn't last more than 3yrs at a club its questionable whether he could have got us out of the rut playing the way we were! But cannot fault him for what he brought to club in his time here..

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:55 am

cardiff 74 wrote:I still say he should have stayed he could have easily have got through that bad period

Not too sure about that mate. It was a very poor start and if things had continued the way they had, I think it would have turned nasty. There was a lot of unrest building up amongst fans.

I'll always appreciate that he united the fans and got us promoted. But towards the end the performances, results and signings weren't up to scratch. Same happens with any manager in that situation, his time was up.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:12 am

Legend, my favourite Cardiff Manager :thumbup:

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:38 pm

Bluebina wrote:Legend, my favourite Cardiff Manager :thumbup:

And one of mine, despite the usual suspects always having a pop S successful previous managers like Warnock, they will soon be moaning if we end up in the bottom half this season.

Warnock one of our most successful managers for 50 years and Warnocks CV will show that :thumbright: :bluebird:

Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Great manager but I really think he should of gone in the summer we got relegated, he was never the same after sala ,the US convinced him to stay but I think that was a mistake

Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:40 pm

So the fans fault not results :roll:
Warnock did well for us but he walked due to knowing he was going to get the push..
I'm entitled to my opinion :thumbright:

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:35 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:So the fans fault not results :roll:
Warnock did well for us but he walked due to knowing he was going to get the push..

Yes of course it's the fans fault :roll: it cannot be denied,he did well in his time here,but if he is insinuating, as some are on here,that he read the forum,didn't like members having their opinion,so walked? What a crock of sh@t, this from a man described as a "Fighter"(covid scare) what he is doing is admitting, that when the going got tough,he got going,blaming the fans,when there were no "warnock out" chants at ANY game,that I'm aware of.

I don't buy for one minute the fans were turning line tbf,more like things going on behind the scenes, but to blame the fans,who he described as "fantastic " on many an occasion is piss poor in my book.

I don't get this god like status he holds with some fans,having a pop at people because they have spoken against their lord!!
Results and football were dire,he couldn't get any more from his" squad,and walked away. No more no less,we thank him for uniting the club,and getting us promotion,but it wasn't any of us who were manager of the team,it was him,only he could turn form around,he couldn't and we moved on. :old: :bluebird:

Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:38 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Jasonccfc wrote:So the fans fault not results :roll:

Yes of course it's the fans fault :roll: it cannot be denied,he did well in his time here,but if he is insinuating, as some are on here,that he read the forum,didn't like members having their opinion,so walked? What a crock of sh@t, this from a man described as a "Fighter"(covid scare) what he is doing is admitting, that when the going got tough,he got going,blaming the fans,when there were no "warnock out" chants at ANY game,that I'm aware of.

I don't buy for one minute the fans were turning line tbf,more like things going on behind the scenes, but to blame the fans,who he described as "fantastic " on many an occasion is piss poor in my book.

I don't get this god like status he holds with some fans,having a pop at people because they have spoken against their lord!!
Results and football were dire,he couldn't get any more from his" squad,and walked away. No more no less,we thank him for uniting the club,and getting us promotion,but it wasn't any of us who were manager of the team,it was him,only he could turn form around,he couldn't and we moved on. :old: :bluebird:

Most fans have moved on whilst others are obsessed :shock: :laughing6:

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:37 am

Oh come on, a man who has been in the game for decades, put up with constant ribbing ( and that includes many on here ) before his arrival says he was basically hounded out by a couple of fans on a message board, can't see it myself.

Done well , built an expensive massive squad but time was up.

Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:29 am

JulesK wrote:Oh come on, a man who has been in the game for decades, put up with constant ribbing ( and that includes many on here ) before his arrival says he was basically hounded out by a couple of fans on a message board, can't see it myself.

Exactly. Last season he said that when he dies he doesnt want a minutes silence, he wants Bristol City chanting warnock is a wanker instead. Last week he said he wants fans back so he can get booed again before he retires. Yet a few people on a forum unhappy with the teams performances and results are the reason he left. No chance.

Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:37 am

Escott1927 wrote:
JulesK wrote:Oh come on, a man who has been in the game for decades, put up with constant ribbing ( and that includes many on here ) before his arrival says he was basically hounded out by a couple of fans on a message board, can't see it myself.

Exactly. Last season he said that when he dies he doesnt want a minutes silence, he wants Bristol City chanting warnock is a wanker instead. Last week he said he wants fans back so he can get booed again before he retires. Yet a few people on a forum unhappy with the teams performances and results are the reason he left. No chance.

Warnock loves all the hype and the fans being against him, thats what makes him different.

But your right he left because the Committee no longer wanted him, so he went before he was pushed, but he does sort of say that in some of his statements.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:36 am

Trouble is we didn't replace like for like ,we now have Mr Harris ,,a bit bland to say the least