Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" DO WE NEED A RESERVE TEAM, IF WE "

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:40 am

Intend to Challenge/Get Automatic Promotion This Season ?
If We are Promoted to the Premier, Do We Need One ?
Was Riddler and DJ right to Scrap Our Reserve Team ?

OPINIONS PLEASE :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " DO WE NEED A RESERVE TEAM IF WE "

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:44 am

i think every team in top flight football need a reserve team, other wise players who dont play just become stale.
mccormack for example goes from our top scorer, to barely kicking a ball in competetive football

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:47 am

Rosco
Heaton
Feeney
Taiwo
Morris
Meades
Capaldi
Maggenis
Commingues
Dennehy

These dont even no what a football looked like at Cardiff City.

I think a reserve team would suit us well, and keep everyone playing footie,. :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:57 am

I think every team in the Prem needs a reserve team, everwise they're just being put out on loan or not playing at all. :|

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:22 am

our reserve team isn't important compared to under 18s

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:01 am

The reason we don't have a reserve team is because of our location. Little point playing the likes of Plymouth, Exeter Bristol Rovers reservers etc as games kept getting cancalled due to the size of their squads.

This is the first time in years that we ourselves have a squad of players and for the time being I think we have the balance just about right in arrangeing a competetive game on a needs basis.

Like all things within our club there are also cost implications if we committed to a full time reserve league.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:19 am

Another reason we dont have a reserve team over the past few seasons, is that we have had such a small squad. se've had a squad of like 20 players, 18 selected on match days, and the odd player left over. There was point in having one and playing our under 18 team ion the reserve league as well as the under 18 league.

I dont think its that important, as long as we have regular games and freindlies for them. I have a feeling a few players will be shipped out on loan, such as wildig, tawio, maybe rae to get some game time. If this happenas, then there is no point in having one.

If we go up, i think we need one for sure, as you need a bigger squad. and need better fitness to compete at the top.

Re: " DO WE NEED A RESERVE TEAM, IF WE "

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:29 am

What about the 25 man squad, that has been introduced. Would the players play in both leagues and/or will the manager risk players with the 25 man squad. The way forward maybe an under 21 league with players coming from an agreed area.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:20 am

Forever Blue wrote:Intend to Challenge/Get Automatic Promotion This Season ?
If We are Promoted to the Premier, Do We Need One ?
Was Riddler and DJ right to Scrap Our Reserve Team ?

With the players (or lack of!) we've had over the last few years we possibly didn't need a 'Reserve Team' in its fullest meaning. The odd hastily arranged 'friendly' probably sufficed if we all think about it. The lack of quality in depth (i.e. very few who could seriously trouble the 'first eleven'') meant that there was almost no point in 'competitive' games for them.

However, all has now changed and for the first time in recent memory, we have a squad that could field two very competitive teams in the Championship and we need to keep everyone sharp or else they will not be up-to-speed when called upon.

So YES, a Reserve Team is required....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:24 am

Yes we do to keep the fringe players match sharp and ready to do the business when called upon. :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:29 am

I dont think we need one but it may be useful from time to time.
Would it cost extra for a reserve team?

I thought the problem previously was the quality of the reserve league and teams pulling out of fixtures a lot?

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:02 am

chippy909 wrote:Rosco
Heaton
Feeney
Taiwo
Morris
Meades
Capaldi
Maggenis
Commingues
Dennehy

These dont even no what a football looked like at Cardiff City.

I think a reserve team would suit us well, and keep everyone playing footie,. :ayatollah:

Commingues does (he's still here, btw), he just doesn't know how to kick it, control it or that we play in blue or yellow shirts

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:19 am

Forever Blue wrote:Intend to Challenge/Get Automatic Promotion This Season ? NOT THIS YEAR IN PARTICULAR, BUT LONG TERM YES.
If We are Promoted to the Premier, Do We Need One ? YES -EVEN MORE SO
Was Riddler and DJ right to Scrap Our Reserve Team ? DIFFICULT TO ANSWER WITHOUT KNOWING ALL THE FACTS - PROBABLY DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH PLAYERS

I've whinged about not having regular reserve fixtures for years -as others have rightly pointed out, when a plaer is injured the replacement hasn't seen competitive action for months.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:24 am

I think they were right to scrap it at the time for two reasons one the financial side of running one and two the squad wasn't really big enough. Now though the squad is at a size where we need a reserve team.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:15 pm

yes, I think all teams need a reserve team to stay fit and to actually get some football

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:58 pm

The question was a few years ago could we afford the reserve team ? If we had what would of been sacrificed instead ? Can we afford one now ? We could do with one but there is a downside as well would Rosco of been up for these games ? in my opinion would have to be NO. Its fine for the youngsters but with today's modern footballers it would be useless in my very humble and vastly ignored opinions . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:27 pm

I thought we stopped the reserve team because of financial reasons. However, if there's no financial reason for it I'd like to see it come back.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:03 am

We definately need a reserve team to enhance our strength in depth.Because if a huge injury crisis occurs,at least we can then call on some fit players to fit in :old:

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 pm

It's a great way to see fringe players, youth players and those coming back from injury get a proper game and proper match fitness. A fringe player is never going to force his way into first team contention without demonstrating their ability in a proper competetive match.

It's a pity we couldn't have a reserve team in the LOW somehow, but I know that would bring about all sorts of complications!

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:46 pm

CHEERS GREAT DEBATE :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:50 pm

what happened to dennehey?

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:26 am

dean wrote:what happened to dennehey?

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:12 am

Hasn't he gone to Orient ??