Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SALA FAMILY TRUST FUND

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:23 am

The trust fund Cardiff City launched to aid the family of Emiliano Sala is hoped to be finalised within the next month.

The Bluebirds announced they would be establishing a fund back in January 2020, after working with the Sala family for a number of months before that.

Called the Emiliano Sala Memorial Trust, it will be run by independent trustees.

More than 18 months since the former Nantes player's tragic death, the Welsh capital club are hoping the trust will be completed within the next month subject to HMRC approval.

While no financial figure has been publicly revealed, the sum behind the trust is understood to be a significant amount and is solely aimed to support the late striker's family: his mother Mercedes Taffarel, his brother Dario and his sister Romina.

As well as a trust, there are also plans for a fundraising campaign in the wider footballing community.

Argentinian striker Sala died in January 2019 when the plane carrying him from Nantes in France to his new club Cardiff crashed in the English Channel. His body was later recovered from underwater seabed plane wreckage, but the body of pilot David Ibbotson has never been found.

Now, Mr Sala's family's new lawyer representative, Buenos Aires-based Curutchet Odriozola, is leading on engagement with Cardiff City on the family's behalf.

Reports emerged in August saying the Sala family were in a "very difficult economic situation", with the trust not yet being finalised.

Re: SALA FAMILY TRUST FUND

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:11 pm

Well done the club , they said they would do it properly, and it seems as if they have. :thumbup:

Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:39 pm

JulesK wrote:Well done the club , they said they would do it properly, and it seems as if they have. :thumbup:

Things are not simply black and white that as been portrayed on here... undoubtedly there as been problems in setting things up legally so maybe that process as finished the family will get help they need.

Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:00 pm

It wasn't long ago they took to the media to have a go at Cardiff city. I'd tell them to naf off we don't have to do it

Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 pm

Jasonccfc wrote:It wasn't long ago they took to the media to have a go at Cardiff city. I'd tell them to naf off we don't have to do it

same here..
not that i understood the need for this fund to start with..

Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:48 pm

Pretty much what a few of us said on the other thread that was made a sticky a few months ago.

Was crazy how many were quick to slate the club they propose to support without knowing the facts

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:33 pm

RV Casual wrote:Pretty much what a few of us said on the other thread that was made a sticky a few months ago.

Was crazy how many were quick to slate the club they propose to support without knowing the facts

do you understand a need for this fund ?

i do not....

Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:02 pm

What have Nantes done for the SALA family? We get criticised but he played for them!

Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:22 pm

skidemin wrote:
RV Casual wrote:Pretty much what a few of us said on the other thread that was made a sticky a few months ago.

i do not....

No mate, not at all.

When someone dies whilst in employment most will have something in their contracts that will give their next of Kin, 2, 3 or if your really lucky 4 times your annual salary in a lump sum and then you would be waved of with sympathy.

Sadly, I have experience of that and its something to be massively grateful for that companies do it.

But that is with your average man or woman in the street not a top class Footballer that earns more in 2 weeks than most people do in a year. I really struggle to see how we in anyway shape or form should have to help out the Sala family, FINANCIALLY.

I would imagine that Emilino would have had or at least should have had quite a bit of money in the bank many of us can only dream of aswell as assets that would have gone to his Mum and Sister as he wasn't married so I cant realy understand it if I'm being totally honest.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:16 pm

RV Casual wrote:
skidemin wrote:

i do not....

No mate, not at all.

When someone dies whilst in employment most will have something in their contracts that will give their next of Kin, 2, 3 or if your really lucky 4 times your annual salary in a lump sum and then you would be waved of with sympathy.

Sadly, I have experience of that and its something to be massively grateful for that companies do it.

But that is with your average man or woman in the street not a top class Footballer that earns more in 2 weeks than most people do in a year. I really struggle to see how we in anyway shape or form should have to help out the Sala family, FINANCIALLY.

I would imagine that Emilino would have had or at least should have had quite a bit of money in the bank many of us can only dream of aswell as assets that would have gone to his Mum and Sister as he wasn't married so I cant realy understand it if I'm being totally honest.

Agree seems a bit odd ,surly he would of had life personal life insurance too ,

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:58 pm

wez1927 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
skidemin wrote:

i do not....

No mate, not at all.

According to a website I just looked at mate the average wage of a Nantes player last season was £15,000 a week. I don't think anymore needs to be said to be honest.

I reckon Emiliano left his next Kim enough money and assets to be set for or at least live a life most could only dream of never mind what anyone else in the Football community gives them.

Plus all the money it cost to pay for all the legal stuff has been paid for by crowd funding, donations from the football community etc.

Im not a conspiracy theorist but the family's stance just makes it all seem even more dodgy to me very money orientated, that's how it seems anyway.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:36 pm

RV Casual wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
skidemin wrote:

i do not....

No mate, not at all.

According to a website I just looked at mate the average wage of a Nantes player last season was £15,000 a week. I don't think anymore needs to be said to be honest.

I reckon Emiliano left his next Kim enough money and assets to be set for or at least live a life most could only dream of never mind what anyone else in the Football community gives them.

Plus all the money it cost to pay for all the legal stuff has been paid for by crowd funding, donations from the football community etc.

Im not a conspiracy theorist but the family's stance just makes it all seem even more dodgy to me very money orientated, that's how it seems anyway.

That's how I see it, mate. The family have been very open in criticising (mainly) our club and it all seems to stem around what they perceive to be 'money owed'

I have no issue with this fund and the Sala family receiving it. They lost their son/brother/bread-winner and it is right they receive compensation for their loss; but I'm pretty confident that once received, we will see a wind-change of attitude from the same family that changes from one of condemnation to one of contrition and thanks

My sympathy on their loss will remain with them; but my respect for the way they have handled the situation and sought to blame the easy target (City) will be less than nil

As for those (mentioned above) who jumped on the opportunity to slate their own club with no real knowledge or understanding, the level of my opinion on them is lower than a snake's belly...! :cry: