Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

AS PATERSON LEAVES/ DALMAN & HARRIS SEEM TO HAVE DIFFERENT V

Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:08 am

AS PATERSON LEAVES FOR £500,000, CHAIRMAN DALMAN & NEIL HARRIS SEEM TO HAVE DIFFERENT VERSIONS REGARDING PATERSONS SALE.

Paterson is sealing a £500,000 move to Sheff Wed but the Bluebirds hierarchy were a little taken aback by Harris' comments about the transfer

By Paul Abbandonato

Monday 28th September 2020

Callum Paterson is moving to Sheffield Wednesday with the full approval of Cardiff City boss Neil Harris, the Bluebirds hierarchy have made clear.

A £500,000 deal for fans' favourite Paterson was agreed after Harris made it clear the Scot did not feature in his plans for the 2020-21 campaign.

Bluebirds bosses are thought to have been taken aback a little at Harris's post-Reading remarks when he said the media 'may know more than me' about the transfer.

Harris also said: "I left Callum out of the squad today because I was informed that there might be an agreement between the clubs likely to happen. I am the manager of the football club and support the club in the decisions they make."

However, it seems some supporters have interpreted Harris' remarks as Cardiff selling Paterson against the manager's wishes.

The Bluebirds have made it abundantly clear that is not the case and stress they never act without their manager making the decision on players.

Bluebirds chairman Mehmet Dalman said on Sunday evening: "We would never sell a single player without the manager telling us to sell him. He makes the decision."

Paterson is a strong character behind the scenes and is thought to have become a little frustrated by his lack of game time. He knows he will get more first-team football at Sheffield Wednesday than he was being afforded by the Bluebirds this term.

His prospects of starting regularly at Cardiff became more limited following the £2m capture of Kieffer Moore, who has quite rightly quickly become Harris' striking kingpin.

Harris omitted Paterson entirely from his plans for the Reading game because a deal was close.

He also stated: "If Callum is moving on then we certainly need to replace him. We need to have strength in depth during the course of the season."

Cardiff have targeted at least one more signing before the transfer window ends on Monday week. That is believed to be a winger, with owner Vincent Tan agreeing to free up funds.

However, the Bluebirds also need a No.10 to back up Lee Tomlin, with Harris' midfield lacking creativity and guile in the home losses to Reading and Sheffield Wednesday.

Cardiff are just one of a number of clubs having to come to terms with the financial reality in football because of coronavirus, with no match-day income coming in. They have to balance that lack of a revenue stream with spending more money in the transfer market, but Cardiff are thought to be backing Harris in any wishes he has to strengthen.

Paterson became something of a cult figure during his three-year spell at Cardiff after Neil Warnock signed him from Scotland.

He arrived as a right-back, but was converted into more advanced positions, helped score the goals that fired the Bluebirds into the Premier League and played as first-choice striker in the top flight.

He leaves as an idol in the eyes of some Cardiff fans, but with the team having moved on from the more direct style of football Paterson was perfectly suited to under Warnock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: AS PATERSON LEAVES/ DALMAN & HARRIS SEEM TO HAVE DIFFERE

Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:16 am

:bluebird: :bluebird: ' NEIL HARRIS CARDIFF CITY SQUAD 2020-21 “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

1. Neil Etheridge Sold to Birmingham City £800,000
2. Jordi Osei-Tutu
3. Joe Bennett
4. Sean Morrison (C)
5. Aden Flint
6. Will Vaulks
7. Leandro Bacuna
8. Joe Ralls
9. Robert Glatzel
10. Kieffer Moore
11. Josh Murphy
12. Alex Smithies
13. Callum Paterson sold £500,000 to Sheff Wed.
14. Isaac Vassell still out injured
16. Curtis Nelson
17. Lee Tomlin
18. Greg Cunningham
19. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing Contract Terminated.

20. Gavin Whyte
21. Marlon Pack
22. Sol Bamba
25. Joe Day
28. Tom Sang loaned out to Cheltenham.
29. Mark Harris
33. Junior Hoilett

Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:38 am

Neil Harris on Paterson: ‘You may know more than me. I've been told today that a deal is close to being agreed. If he is leaving, then we wish Pato all the best. It’s out of my hands, If he is not leaving then I look forward to seeing him on Monday. if Callum is moving on then we certainly need to replace him.’
“I have no say on those that are leaving.”

He added: "I left Callum out of the squad today because I was informed that there might be an agreement between he clubs likely to happen.”

"I am the manger of the football club and support the club in the decisions they make.”

"It's not about me as an individual it's about me having options within the squad. Callum is one of our attacking players and we need to have strength in depth during the course of the season, I don’t make the final decision on players.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:55 am

Much ado about nothing.Harris being a bit cute because he he knows Patterson is very popular.

In my 40+ years watching the city he's the only player that I'm still not sure about his best position.

A story for crisis junkies.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:26 am

Deny knowledge, deny knowledge, deny knowledge......That has been the mantra for millennia when you don't want or can't speak about it.

All this shows is what you may have got away with in a minor London club is not the same in terms of media than at Cardiff. There are many other things you can get away with in Cardiff that the Lions fan base wouldn't accept as well.

He just should have said "there are on going negotiations and i can't say anything" rather than play dumb.

He played stupid later on in the day when he said "we were the better team"

We had a journeyman in Slade, that's the best we can hope for at the moment as the first four games have been more Trollop who found out he didn't have the minerals to be a football club manager but is an excellent coach.

I have always said he was gifted the job at Millwall due to his playing days status and had nothing on his CV to suggest he should have been heading for a top 6 demanding championship club.

This is a learning experience for him, let hope he gets through itas we all want him to do well, even the naysayers (like me)

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:00 am

Saw Paul Abbandonato and stopped reading. Nuff said.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:31 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Much ado about nothing.Harris being a bit cute because he he knows Patterson is very popular.

In my 40+ years watching the city he's the only player that I'm still not sure about his best position.

A story for crisis junkies.

I thought the same as well. A high earner player who is surplus to requirements is sold during a time of financial difficulty. Hardly shocking. The only way this transfer will be bad is if we fail to bring anyone else in.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:44 am

Sanderson, a no 10 and a winger needed ASAP . I wonder if the players have been identified but we are not willing to pay the wages?

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:55 am

castleblue wrote:Saw Paul Abbandonato and stopped reading. Nuff said.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Spot on Gary.

Abbandonato will write what ever Dalman tells him, I've spoken to him before about this and he has said if we speak out, the club will stop giving us interviews.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:13 am

If it came down to who I'd believe out of those two, it would be Neil Harris all day long.

Mehmet Dalman lies like other people breathe. People have said in the past that he would make a good politician, and that's true.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:22 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:If it came down to who I'd believe out of those two, it would be Neil Harris all day long.

Mehmet Dalman lies like other people breathe. People have said in the past that he would make a good politician, and that's true.

at best this is a draw... Harris ability to manage us...jury out
does he B/S ? yes constantly... Pato has played 15 minutes in our last 8 games after previously being a regular starter... but he needs pato ,he is a valuable part of our squad and i didnt know about the transfer ..honest... :laughing5: :laughing5:

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:24 am

Possible scenario

Dalman : if you want more players you have to reduce the wage bill, who is not in your first 11
Nh: Pattereson and Flint

Easy to see how NH was left with hobsons choice

I know who I believe

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:33 am

fred keenor wrote:Possible scenario

Dalman : if you want more players you have to reduce the wage bill, who is not in your first 11

I know who I believe

why not just say...im sure he has at some point past ...to bring in we have to move players on... instead of this nonsense..

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:07 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:If it came down to who I'd believe out of those two, it would be Neil Harris all day long.

Spot on Ned, thats how I see it :thumbright:

I tell Dalman every time I see him, you should of been an Mp and I mean it.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Feels like we have no cash and have no long term plan. We’ve been like this for years and nothing has changed

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:18 pm

Not sure I trust Dalman to be honest, he’s hardly moved the club forward with any kind of vision or plan. Almost feels like we are an after thought alongside his other interests.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:55 pm

We paid £400,000 for Calum Paterson, and Hearts asked for 15% sell on any for the future fee which we agreed to.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:00 pm

skidemin wrote:

I know who I believe

why not just say...im sure he has at some point past ...to bring in we have to move players on... instead of this nonsense..

It's been said a few times,that money was tight,one in one out etc.which to me makes perfect sense in these testing times.
In truth,there are many clubs who are teetering on the edge of surviving or folding.
Regards the sale,does it need around 9 threads? He wasn't in Harris’s plans,so a no brainedr in truth,20k a week off the wage bill,plus a tiny profit on a player,that's a couple now we have actually made a little profit,a nice change from losing a fortune for us. :old: :bluebird:

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:44 am

bluesince62 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I know who I believe

It's been said a few times,that money was tight,one in one out etc.which to me makes perfect sense in these testing times.
In truth,there are many clubs who are teetering on the edge of surviving or folding.
Regards the sale,does it need around 9 threads? He wasn't in Harris’s plans,so a no brainedr in truth,20k a week off the wage bill,plus a tiny profit on a player,that's a couple now we have actually made a little profit,a nice change from losing a fortune for us. :old: :bluebird:

Good to see another positive poster on here :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:11 am

exiled12345 wrote:Feels like we have no cash and have no long term plan. We’ve been like this for years and nothing has changed

This is just way too harsh on a club that has been promoted to the top division twice in the last few seasons And it hardly as if we have had no cash. Ole spent money like a drunken sailor on shore leave and Warnock spent millions a lot of it very unwisely in the latter part of his reign. Even this season we probably have spent more on Moore than we got for Etreridge and Patterson combined.i admit we could do with a couple of decent players in but by the end of this season a lot of clubs will be just glad to survive. If ever there was a season for fianancial prudence it is this one.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:32 am

I think that everything that comes out of the club should be take with a large pinch of salt

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:46 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Spot On ;)

Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

You could say that to Clemo , sam hammam , Ridsdale and so on he's no diferent they all lie and spin the truth