Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" The new handball rule - shocking "

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 pm

The new rule by IFAB on handball is absolutely ridiculous.

Tottenham v Newcastle today.

Video below of the incident that lead to Newcastle's late penalty.

Worth noting that VAR followed the new IFAB rules. It's not VAR to blame for this deicison, it's IFAB.

Re: " The new handball rule - shocking "

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:40 pm

The rule is basically if ball hits arm below sleeve it's a pen regardless of situation like today and yesterday..... at one point today had handball shouts everytime ball hit defender in a 2 minute spell..... the main problem is everyone is not singing from same hymn sheet regarding how stupid rule is got one saying its killing game and another saying it's the rules we have to get on with it... souness sided with its the rules but had opposite view from the other 2 pundits....... what's needed is every premier league manager to come out and oppose the rule or nothing will change. They've made a bad rule even worse this season

Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:31 pm

A ref should look at it and be able to decide if any intent or anything a player can do. If a player has been out jumped, has his back to the ball and cannot see it then there is clearly no intent.
If a player is facing with his arms out then he can leave his arms down so it’s a bit more clear cut in terms of the rules. That today was clearly a stupid decision

Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:54 pm

pembroke allan wrote:The rule is basically if ball hits arm below sleeve it's a pen regardless of situation like today and yesterday..... at one point today had handball shouts everytime ball hit defender in a 2 minute spell..... the main problem is everyone is not singing from same hymn sheet regarding how stupid rule is got one saying its killing game and another saying it's the rules we have to get on with it... souness sided with its the rules but had opposite view from the other 2 pundits....... what's needed is every premier league manager to come out and oppose the rule or nothing will change. They've made a bad rule even worse this season

Steve Bruce said the same as you after the match, that the managers need to get together and put the pressure on for the rules to change to something sensible. He said the handball rule was around for years, simply as a deliberate handball. Bruce said everyone understood that rule and it was fair.

Mourinho refused to comment and said "If I give money away then I want to give it to charity, I don't want to give money to the FA."

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:55 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:The rule is basically if ball hits arm below sleeve it's a pen regardless of situation like today and yesterday..... at one point today had handball shouts everytime ball hit defender in a 2 minute spell..... the main problem is everyone is not singing from same hymn sheet regarding how stupid rule is got one saying its killing game and another saying it's the rules we have to get on with it... souness sided with its the rules but had opposite view from the other 2 pundits....... what's needed is every premier league manager to come out and oppose the rule or nothing will change. They've made a bad rule even worse this season

Steve Bruce said the same as you after the match, that the managers need to get together and put the pressure on for the rules to change to something sensible. He said the handball rule was around for years, simply as a deliberate handball. Bruce said everyone understood that rule and it was fair.

Mourinho refused to comment and said "If I give money away then I want to give it to charity, I don't want to give money to the FA."

Ned if have simple rule of it must be deliberate var can easily see if it is... today and yesterday would have to be blind to say it was deliberate handball... at least it would be upto refs what constitutes deliberate handball? not a stupid rule that says even if falling over and break an arm stopping your face being smashed on floor but ball hits hand it's a pen rule as it is now .. :roll:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:48 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Ned if have simple rule of it must be deliberate var can easily see if it is... today and yesterday would have to be blind to say it was deliberate handball... at least it would be upto refs what constitutes deliberate handball? not a stupid rule that says even if falling over and break an arm stopping your face being smashed on floor but ball hits hand it's a pen rule as it is now .. :roll:

100% agree with you.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:18 pm

Shocking indeed - handball in 1 game - different in another :shock:

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:15 am

The new hand ball rule is pathetic. Mourinho made an arse of himself, again, by making it about respect for little Tottenham and not the ridiculous change in law

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:42 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:The new hand ball rule is pathetic. Mourinho made an arse of himself, again, by making it about respect for little Tottenham and not the ridiculous change in law

To be fair, I don't blame Mourinho for saying something like that.

If he directly criticised the decision, he would be getting a fine.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:40 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:The new hand ball rule is pathetic. Mourinho made an arse of himself, again, by making it about respect for little Tottenham and not the ridiculous change in law

To be fair, I don't blame Mourinho for saying something like that.

If he directly criticised the decision, he would be getting a fine.

Marino went on to say he wont comment on var decision as he would prefer to give money to charity than to F.A he was obviously annoyed at decision.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:45 am

Funny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:11 am

Rumours that premier league are going to drop the rule independently of ifab? Had 6 pens for handball already this season....only 18 in total last season when the 1st rule change came in..

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:30 am

pembroke allan wrote:Rumours that premier league are going to drop the rule independently of ifab? Had 6 pens for handball already this season....only 18 in total last season when the 1st rule change came in..

I assume they can't do it mid season, however sensible. Would need to replay games or reallocate points where effected.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:41 am

The new rule is that if the ball touches any part of your arm/hand regardless of whether its accidental or deliberate it will always be a penalty. Im happy with VAR but im even more happy we dont have it in the EFL otherwise all hell will break loose.
As with every rule in the book its black and white no shortcuts to the rule so dont blame VAR or the rules because they are what they are.

I think VAR came in because they saw how poorly we (CARDIFF) have been treated when we were in the Premier League. With endless poor refereeing decisions that cost our place in the league.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:04 am

Sam ReaN wrote:The new rule is that if the ball touches any part of your arm/hand regardless of whether its accidental or deliberate it will always be a penalty. Im happy with VAR but im even more happy we dont have it in the EFL otherwise all hell will break loose.
As with every rule in the book its black and white no shortcuts to the rule so dont blame VAR or the rules because they are what they are.

I think VAR came in because they saw how poorly we (CARDIFF) have been treated when we were in the Premier League. With endless poor refereeing decisions that cost our place in the league.

:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:
your happy with VAR. but even happier we dont have it..

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:33 am

Who are the ifab what does it stand for

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:37 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Rumours that premier league are going to drop the rule independently of ifab? Had 6 pens for handball already this season....only 18 in total last season when the 1st rule change came in..

I assume they can't do it mid season, however sensible. Would need to replay games or reallocate points where effected.

It will come as a directive so rather than changing rule now it will just be a directive only to give pen if its deliberate or arm is in totally unnatural position at time? That part is open to interpretation which is why we saw the pens at wkend... but will have to wait and see but cannot see this rule being implemented now to many people apposed to it.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:28 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:Who are the ifab what does it stand for

International Football Association Board..in charge of rules since the early days of football
used to be run by the 4 home associations but its now 50/50 FIFA and the four home countries...