Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

£500,000 Paterson / Why Wednesday want him

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:59 am

Personal details have been agreed with Patersons wages around £20,000 a week. The stumbling block so far has been the transfer fee. Wednesday have offered Cardiff £400,000, Cardiff want £600,000. It is believed that both clubs are nearing the £500,000 with Paterson expected to have a medical next week.

What Callum Paterson would add to Sheffield Wednesday's attack if they were to seal transfer

The Cardiff City attacker has emerged as a target for Garry Monk and Sheffield Wednesday, as the Owls look to strengthen their attacking options

Sheffield Live

Sunday 27th September 2020

Heading into the start of the 2020/21 season, it was clear that Sheffield Wednesday manager Garry Monk’s problem position was up front.

Having stumbled to a 16th-place finish last term, Monk faced every manager’s worst nightmare when his three top scorers all departed Hillsborough.

Steven Fletcher moved to Stoke City, Jacob Murphy returned to Newcastle United after his loan spell and Atdhe Nuhiu joined APOEL Nicosia after his contract with the Owls expired at the end of July.

With 29 goals between them, that trio accounted for almost half of Wednesday’s 62 goals in all competitions last season.

And while progress on finding replacements this summer has been slow, it seems as though their hunt for a new frontman is nearing its conclusion with Callum Paterson in talks to sign from Cardiff City .

The 25-year-old, who has 12 caps for Scotland, has slipped down the pecking order at the Cardiff City Stadium, with Neil Harris preferring new signing Kieffer Moore in attack.

Wednesday have started this season brightly with a win and a draw in their opening two Championship outings, but Monk knows they need added firepower if they are to survive after starting the campaign with a 12-point deduction, so what would Paterson offer the side?

Here, Yorkshire Live delve into the former Hearts striker’s stats to see what he would bring to the table.

First and foremost, Paterson is a penalty-box player, which is exactly the kind of option Monk needs.

Last season, 24 of his 29 shots for Cardiff (while that seems a low amount on the surface, Paterson only played 1,793 minutes last season, so he averaged a shot every 61 minutes) came from inside the box, with six of his seven goals in all competitions arriving from shots inside the 18-yard line, according to Wyscout’s data.

A physical six-footer, Paterson thrives on quality crosses into the box, with 12 of his 29 shots in the last calendar year being headers.

While he is not overly blessed technically, the Scot is a hard-working presence up top, ranking 28th in final third recoveries in the Championship last season with 1.75 per 90 minutes.

He ranked lower in some other key per 90 metrics, however; 70th in goals, 123rd in assists, 110th for touches in the opposition’s penalty area and 188th in offensive duels.

A threat at set-pieces, two of Paterson’s goals for Cardiff last season came via a long throw into the box. With the ability to anticipate where the ball is going to fall, he is often able to drop into space and apply the finish.

His strikes will rarely pop up on goal of the month compilations, but he has a knack for providing the telling touch, regardless of how scrappy it may look, whether it is sliding in at the far post or merely sticking out his leg to meet a cross.

The worry among Wednesday fans, of course, will be that Paterson has never been overly prolific.

Having started out at right-back, former Cardiff boss Neil Warnock found a place for him in attack having been unconvinced by his defensive capabilities after signing him from Hearts in 2017.

Of course, Paterson ended his first season in Wales as the club’s leading scorer, helping them earn promotion to the Premier League.

Since then, however, he has returned nine goals in 63 games in the first and second tier.

In comparison, Jordan Rhodes has netted 10 in last 54 appearances for Wednesday and Norwich City, while Josh Windass struck seven times in 24 outings for Wigan Athletic and on loan at the Owls last term, so it seems unlikely that Paterson will offer much more potency than the options Monk already has at his disposal.

We will bring you all the best and latest Sheffield Wednesday news and analysis direct to your inbox as the fallout from the points deduction continues and Garry Monk gets his squad ready for a new season.

Every day we'll send you a roundup e-mail of all the latest news from the day. We'll also have the latest features, nostalgia and opinion as we bring you the best coverage around of the Owls.

While he offers strength in the air, a poacher’s instinct and versatility given his background as a full-back, Paterson looks a decent option for the purpose of beefing up Monk’s attack.

But Wednesday fans will know to temper their expectations, with the Scot yet to prove himself as a 15-goal or 20-goal striker.

There has also been talk of Wednesday pursuing Paterson’s former Cardiff teammate Kenneth Zohore, whose future at West Bromwich Albion appears uncertain.

If the club were to sign both, it would provide a significant boost to Monk’s depleted attack.

Without Zohore, however, the pressure on Paterson’s broad shoulders would only intensify, and that isn’t always the best environment for a new striker to thrive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: £500,000 Paterson / Why Wednesday want him

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:04 am

Still say it.. they should of been relegated not Wigan.. stinks stinks

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:05 am

20K off the weekly wage bill for the player that clearly isn’t near the starting line up is a no brained for me. Take the 500K. Best of luck Pato - nobody can ever doubt your commitment. Thanks for the memories

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:24 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:20K off the weekly wage bill for the player that clearly isn’t near the starting line up is a no brained for me. Take the 500K. Best of luck Pato - nobody can ever doubt your commitment. Thanks for the memories

Total agree

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:43 am

Reply Fb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:44 am

Reply Fb:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:44 am

But so far we are replacing these outgoings with zero or utter dross

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:03 am

Whether it is right or wrong for him to go from a footballing point of view, selling for £500k (with 2 years left on his contract) to a rival even in these times is a joke.

His scoring record over his career is about 1 goal every 4 games and he did score goals at top flight level. Yes, it’s a buyers market but hard to be believe we could get a replacement for less than £500k and wages significantly lower than £20k a week.

It only takes Moore of Glatzel to be injured and we are hopelessly exposed - maybe someone is lined up, but you wouldn’t know it from the way Harris is talking.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:06 am

Personally I'd rather see Calum stay and be in the team, his passion is always 100%. But on the other hand, if he's not in NH's plans then take the money and spend the wages on someone who would be a regular starter. I'm beginning to think we'll be in a relegation battle this season, never mind the top six place that we were hoping for, something's not right and it has to be sorted soon. Two out of two home defeats so far is depressing. It's Blackburn away next, who have won their last two games 5-0 and 4-0 so gawd knows what they'll do to our flimsy defence.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:11 am

I love the comments about Tan has to sell up.
Does anyone really think that he wouldn’t grab at the chance to sell if it was there?
It’s easy for us on the outside to say he should sell to the next person who comes along (has anyone?) but he’s a businessman ffs and he’s put a lot of ££ into the club; he’s not going to let it go for nothing.
Personally I’d rather be afloat with a poor side than have a good side that HAS to be promoted or else (Derby watch this space).

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:21 am

Personally, and my opinion, but I think the reason Patts is leaving is because the rest of the players won’t take a pay cut,,, and I don’t think it’s going to stop at just him.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:15 am

we have a 5 million pound striker in glatzel who rubbish and we sell a striker for pea nuts who scored in the premiership and works his socks off for the shirt and there are not many of them I can name at the moment.

Terrible business and shows what this club is at the moment I am really worried to be honest

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:50 am

wez1927 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:20K off the weekly wage bill for the player that clearly isn’t near the starting line up is a no brained for me. Take the 500K. Best of luck Pato - nobody can ever doubt your commitment. Thanks for the memories

Total agree

mate...did Harris sound like he has someone lined up ? or that he has much say in it anyway...and who do you bring in for less and on smaller wages..? how can you think this is good 500k is a joke..

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:43 am

Lets be honest here. He is on a million pound a year and isn't a starter, we are no longer that type of club.

He is not in the same league as Moore, so at best would be a sub
He is a big guy, so is quite slow so he can't be a wide or inside forward
He hasn't the touch or vision for a 10
He first touch is poor so can't be a central midfielder
We don't fancy him at right back because we gambled on a loanee and played a CM last season instead of him.

For all those who scoff at the fee I would imagine it was out there he was available for around half a million and his salary is a million a season, who wants him. I don't see any auction or many takers.

He is a fans hero,but i do wonder what he must be like to work with. That incident with Bacuna was ugly. Interesting one is staying and one is not.

Just goes to prove how bad the Glatzel deal was as he was the starter and is only worth £500K in the open market

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:50 am

I like Paterson but £20,000 a week in wages :o :o :o

How on earth can Wednesday afford to pay that sort of money?

Would not be particularly upset with him leaving if there was any chance of him being replaced by somebody better or even of the same ability but let's be honest that's not going to happen.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:01 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Lets be honest here. He is on a million pound a year and isn't a starter, we are no longer that type of club.

He is not in the same league as Moore, so at best would be a sub
He is a big guy, so is quite slow so he can't be a wide or inside forward
He hasn't the touch or vision for a 10
He first touch is poor so can't be a central midfielder
We don't fancy him at right back because we gambled on a loanee and played a CM last season instead of him.

For all those who scoff at the fee I would imagine it was out there he was available for around half a million and his salary is a million a season, who wants him. I don't see any auction or many takers.

He is a fans hero,but i do wonder what he must be like to work with. That incident with Bacuna was ugly. Interesting one is staying and one is not.

Just goes to prove how bad the Glatzel deal was as he was the starter and is only worth £500K in the open market

yes he was the starter.. for 6 games after that spat ,4 wins and a draw.. and hardly seen since... lots of people can see negatives and very few his positives... no he doesnt JUST run around , its very effective , although we do have a few that do just run around which has never done ir for me...... massively under rated

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:17 pm

All I read about paterson is people saying how passionate he is and how he gives 100%, which i don't think anyone can disagree with. I dont see anyone talking about his actual footballing ability though. Without sounding too harsh because I do like him, but I think we should expect more from our players than just working hard. Let's face it, Moore and Paterson play a similar role but Moore is a much better all round player. So paterson will never start ahead of him. And in a team lacking creativity, do people seriously think paterson is the answer playing in a different position?

Like it or not, we are not immune from the financial impacts of covid and 20k a week for a player who seems will only play if others are injured is a lot of money. As much as I'd be a bit gutted to see him go ( that two foot tackle on the ball after we beat wolves :lol: ), if him leaving means we can bring in another player or 2 then it's a necessary move by the club. £500k sounds cheap but I suppose Wednesday would have to pick up his expensive contract.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:18 pm

So Paterson knocks on Harris's door and says I want to be a starter, where do you play him ?

I think he is much better than Glatzel, but i think i am better than Glatzel and am 52 and four stone overweight.

We are painfully slow and ineffective out wide, so he can't go there.

With Moore as a genuine 9 his skillset is not required down the middle.

I think he lost pace after the last injury.

I think at another club his destiny would have been different. I always though he'd end up as a centre half.

As soon as we bought Moore and couldn't get rid of Glatzel without losing millions, this was the only outcome.

We need a fast wide man or a 10, hopefully this is part of that recruitment

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:31 pm

Personally I reckon it goes back to Warnock.Most of his signings who are left at the club are pretty average.
It needs a clean out.Get rid of the lkes of Flint,Murphy and a few more and bring in some loan signings.{we can sign 5] :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:34 pm

llan bluebird wrote:So Paterson knocks on Harris's door and says I want to be a starter, where do you play him ?

I think he is much better than Glatzel, but i think i am better than Glatzel and am 52 and four stone overweight.

We are painfully slow and ineffective out wide, so he can't go there.

With Moore as a genuine 9 his skillset is not required down the middle.

I think he lost pace after the last injury.

I think at another club his destiny would have been different. I always though he'd end up as a centre half.

As soon as we bought Moore and couldn't get rid of Glatzel without losing millions, this was the only outcome.

We need a fast wide man or a 10, hopefully this is part of that recruitment

I would play him as a defensive midfielder . His size and style suits that position. Brilliant in the air , chases everything and is strong .

Surprised he hasn't been played in the position in the past.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:38 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I love the comments about Tan has to sell up.
Does anyone really think that he wouldn’t grab at the chance to sell if it was there?
It’s easy for us on the outside to say he should sell to the next person who comes along (has anyone?) but he’s a businessman ffs and he’s put a lot of ££ into the club; he’s not going to let it go for nothing.
Personally I’d rather be afloat with a poor side than have a good side that HAS to be promoted or else (Derby watch this space).

Best owner this club has EVER had.
He deserves a lot of praise given the financial position we are in now compared to when he took over.

Without him its very possible we wouldn't be sat here talking about this as we would have gone bust years ago

Very very good owner who we are very lucky to have. Even with the rebrand mistake.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:14 pm

Completely agree re tan.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:45 pm

So who would you rather see go to get an expensive contract off our books and a £500k fee in Pato or Glatzel?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:03 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:So who would you rather see go to get an expensive contract off our books and a £500k fee in Pato or Glatzel?

I guess as he was our big summer signing for £5.5 million he'd be on even more than Paterson.... Knowing that, even if we gave him away for free, who in their right mind would take him. Its going to cost us a lot to move him on....

Poor Paterson has to go. We are also going to need to take a haircut on Flint as the only other alternative is to sell Morrison :o

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:13 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:So who would you rather see go to get an expensive contract off our books and a £500k fee in Pato or Glatzel?

I guess as he was our big summer signing for £5.5 million he'd be on even more than Paterson.... Knowing that, even if we gave him away for free, who in their right mind would take him. Its going to cost us a lot to move him on....

Poor Paterson has to go. We are also going to need to take a haircut on Flint as the only other alternative is to sell Morrison :o

last year was far too big a downgrade for a team getting parachute payments and aiming for a quick return.. and if we downgrade any further we will be in trouble if we are not already...losing 2 out of the first 3 isnt the end of the world but the manner of those defeats isnt far off..

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:27 pm

Not sure what the fuss is about he hasn’t been near this Harris team and never will

Get the wages off the bill and look to add someone else

People need to understand our wage bill is still way to high, parachute patents are reduced due to covid and the club has next to no other income this season matchday money is still vital in the championship less so than league one and two of course but the club needs to seriously cost cut staying in the championship and reducing costs will be all th board is interested in this year

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:37 pm

smakerzthebluebird wrote:Not sure what the fuss is about he hasn’t been near this Harris team and never will

Get the wages off the bill and look to add someone else

People need to understand our wage bill is still way to high, parachute patents are reduced due to covid and the club has next to no other income this season matchday money is still vital in the championship less so than league one and two of course but the club needs to seriously cost cut staying in the championship and reducing costs will be all th board is interested in this year

so who exactly was that starting in the run of 6 undefeated against brentford , barnsley , leeds , preston, charlyon and bristol... { BY FAR HARRIS BEST RUN HERE } looked a lot like Pato to me...
and where have you seen this reduced parachute payments report ?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:39 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I love the comments about Tan has to sell up.

I'm with you on that :thumbup: but according to some on here,he has made a tidy profit in his time as owner??? We are struggling with finances, as are many other clubs,we also have the sala fee to consider,if we lose case,so funds were going to be tight before covid reared it's head.Wednesday, who in mine and many other people's books,should have been relegated, are offering 25k a week to WBA for Zohore, and the report stated that's not even half of what he earns at WBA :shock: :shock: good work if you can get it,50+k a week,amd not even in the squad.my concern is around how come Wednesday are able to offer 25k a week of his wage in the 1st place,I know technically he is a prem player,and that's prob the going rate now,but would anyone be happy if we had paid 8m and 50+k wages for a player..........oh wait a minute ;) :old: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:02 am

Understand why Sheff Wed want him but its a crime selling paterson for a low sum when he was our main striker a season or two ago. i would be happy to keep him but if we cant then just sell him for a £1 million.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:26 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:Understand why Sheff Wed want him but its a crime selling paterson for a low sum when he was our main striker a season or two ago. i would be happy to keep him but if we cant then just sell him for a £1 million.

If we could get a mill for him he wouldn't be going for 500k now.