Coronavirus v Mental Health

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby Pencoed » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:29 pm

The virus is mainly gone to effect those over 80 those who fort, lived through the Second World War and the after effects. Those who were separated from loved ones for indefinitely with pen an paper as contact because they were at war or evacuated.

They got on with it.

Mental health is a serious problem. Feeling a bit down or been worried about your job is not a mental health issue
Pencoed
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Coronavirus v Mental Health

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby Nuclearblue » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:06 pm

Pencoed wrote:The virus is mainly gone to effect those over 80 those who fort, lived through the Second World War and the after effects. Those who were separated from loved ones for indefinitely with pen an paper as contact because they were at war or evacuated.

They got on with it.

Mental health is a serious problem. Feeling a bit down or been worried about your job is not a mental health issue

Cant agree with you there Chief. Losing your job or worried about your job which can lead 5o worry about paying the rent or mortgage. Depression can set in and making bad decisions or actions and that is a mental illness
User avatar
Nuclearblue
 
Posts: 22857
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:37 pm

What a load of nonsense. The generation that "got on with it" had much higher suicide rates during the 50's and 60's than we have now.
For women between 1950 - 1970 the average female suicide rate was 12 per 100k and for men it was for men it was 19 per 100k, compared to these days (2010 - 2020) where for women the average is less than 5 per 100k and for men it's around 15.
The "Blitz spirit" that constantly gets tossed out there like some patriotic rallying cry is rubbish. If you look into some less rosy tinted accounts from the Blitz it would be a period of shame and disgust, not honour and pride.

Mental health is a major issue for all ages whether it's PTSD from warfare, rationing and separation from family, job losses or fear of homelessness. People in their 20's and early 30's have gone through 2 "once in a lifetime" economic disasters in the last 12 years in a crucial period of their lives where many of them would've been trying to secure their employment for the next few decades.
I'm in my 20's and I've given up most hope of ever owning my own home, I'm living with the assumption I'll be working more than one job for several years and raising children with a partner also seems unlikely. Luckily I'm quite an optimistic person so I'm not "a bit down" about it all but I know people in my age group who have killed themselves, cut themselves, turned to drink and drugs because for them living or living sober is too much for them.

Mental health issues can absolutely stem from job losses, many smaller things can trigger it too. Unfortunately the systems in our country to deal with such issues are laughably poor and are constantly being ignored.
WestCoastBlue
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby skidemin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:29 am

Pencoed wrote:The virus is mainly gone to effect those over 80 those who fort, lived through the Second World War and the after effects. Those who were separated from loved ones for indefinitely with pen an paper as contact because they were at war or evacuated.

They got on with it.

Mental health is a serious problem. Feeling a bit down or been worried about your job is not a mental health issue




mental health is a serious issue... and losing your job or business can be the start..
unfortunately far too many people fail to grasp this...
skidemin
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby boyo1927 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:32 am

Pencoed you clearly have very little understanding of what is mental health and what is mental illness.

Losing a job in a pandemic to most people I imagine is not nice
boyo1927
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby bluesince62 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:43 am

boyo1927 wrote:Pencoed you clearly have very little understanding of what is mental health and what is mental illness.

Losing a job in a pandemic to most people I imagine is not nice



I thought the same,a not very well thought out post :roll: losing a job right now,would be pretty daunting,especially as there are hundreds of small companies going bust,if not thousands ,thus adding to the numbers also looking for work,making getting a new job harder still,would easily push people to the edge of the precipice of depression. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62
 
Posts: 3654
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby goats » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:03 am

Not just losing a job but knowing there is little chance of getting another with so many others also now looking.
User avatar
goats
 
Posts: 2532
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:09 am

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby RV Casual » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:57 am

I am sure your a decent person but this is a terrible post that I think/hope you will regret.

Personaly speaking I know of only 3 people who have had Covid 19 and none of them died.

I have lost a mate to Suicide during the Pandemic, a very good friend of mine lost her Nan (and whilst she died of natural courses) the family believe she just gave up as she was in the care home and her mental health deteriorated rapidly when she had no personal interaction.

I am also currently seriously worried about 3 friends, one didn't work from March untill last Month as Gyms were closed and is constantly worried that they will be shut down again. He is absolutely fried for want of a better word. Another one of my mates has work up untill the end of this month at which point they may well be let go, even more so if the hospitality sector goes. And another one of my mates who lives alone cannot deal with the loneliness.

If your life is good, that is wonderful and long may it continue but just because things are rosey for you right now NEVER underestimate how quickly things can change or have the attitude you have as it makes you look like a complete prick.
RV Casual
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby Nuclearblue » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:58 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:What a load of nonsense. The generation that "got on with it" had much higher suicide rates during the 50's and 60's than we have now.
For women between 1950 - 1970 the average female suicide rate was 12 per 100k and for men it was for men it was 19 per 100k, compared to these days (2010 - 2020) where for women the average is less than 5 per 100k and for men it's around 15.
The "Blitz spirit" that constantly gets tossed out there like some patriotic rallying cry is rubbish. If you look into some less rosy tinted accounts from the Blitz it would be a period of shame and disgust, not honour and pride.

Mental health is a major issue for all ages whether it's PTSD from warfare, rationing and separation from family, job losses or fear of homelessness. People in their 20's and early 30's have gone through 2 "once in a lifetime" economic disasters in the last 12 years in a crucial period of their lives where many of them would've been trying to secure their employment for the next few decades.
I'm in my 20's and I've given up most hope of ever owning my own home, I'm living with the assumption I'll be working more than one job for several years and raising children with a partner also seems unlikely. Luckily I'm quite an optimistic person so I'm not "a bit down" about it all but I know people in my age group who have killed themselves, cut themselves, turned to drink and drugs because for them living or living sober is too much for them.

Mental health issues can absolutely stem from job losses, many smaller things can trigger it too. Unfortunately the systems in our country to deal with such issues are laughably poor and are constantly being ignored.

To be honest that is lower than I thought from the fifties to the seventies. After World War Two I would of 5hought those with PTSD was massive, and I would gather many took their lives because of the war. Also it may not be just soldiers but Firemen as well on what they saw during the bombings and the public as well. Not many would of gone unaffected. Many who lost family and friends as well. So I’m surprised it’s that low.
User avatar
Nuclearblue
 
Posts: 22857
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:What a load of nonsense. The generation that "got on with it" had much higher suicide rates during the 50's and 60's than we have now.
For women between 1950 - 1970 the average female suicide rate was 12 per 100k and for men it was for men it was 19 per 100k, compared to these days (2010 - 2020) where for women the average is less than 5 per 100k and for men it's around 15.
The "Blitz spirit" that constantly gets tossed out there like some patriotic rallying cry is rubbish. If you look into some less rosy tinted accounts from the Blitz it would be a period of shame and disgust, not honour and pride.

Mental health is a major issue for all ages whether it's PTSD from warfare, rationing and separation from family, job losses or fear of homelessness. People in their 20's and early 30's have gone through 2 "once in a lifetime" economic disasters in the last 12 years in a crucial period of their lives where many of them would've been trying to secure their employment for the next few decades.
I'm in my 20's and I've given up most hope of ever owning my own home, I'm living with the assumption I'll be working more than one job for several years and raising children with a partner also seems unlikely. Luckily I'm quite an optimistic person so I'm not "a bit down" about it all but I know people in my age group who have killed themselves, cut themselves, turned to drink and drugs because for them living or living sober is too much for them.

Mental health issues can absolutely stem from job losses, many smaller things can trigger it too. Unfortunately the systems in our country to deal with such issues are laughably poor and are constantly being ignored.

To be honest that is lower than I thought from the fifties to the seventies. After World War Two I would of 5hought those with PTSD was massive, and I would gather many took their lives because of the war. Also it may not be just soldiers but Firemen as well on what they saw during the bombings and the public as well. Not many would of gone unaffected. Many who lost family and friends as well. So I’m surprised it’s that low.


Agreed it doesn’t sound very high but the highest ever suicide rates for men was during the Great Depression and was 29 per 100,000 whereas for women the highest ever rates were during the 60’s where it peaked at about 13 per 100,000. So from a statistical sense the post war rates for men and women would be considered high.
WestCoastBlue
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby skidemin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:33 pm

RV Casual wrote:I am sure your a decent person but this is a terrible post that I think/hope you will regret.

Personaly speaking I know of only 3 people who have had Covid 19 and none of them died.

I have lost a mate to Suicide during the Pandemic, a very good friend of mine lost her Nan (and whilst she died of natural courses) the family believe she just gave up as she was in the care home and her mental health deteriorated rapidly when she had no personal interaction.

I am also currently seriously worried about 3 friends, one didn't work from March untill last Month as Gyms were closed and is constantly worried that they will be shut down again. He is absolutely fried for want of a better word. Another one of my mates has work up untill the end of this month at which point they may well be let go, even more so if the hospitality sector goes. And another one of my mates who lives alone cannot deal with the loneliness.

If your life is good, that is wonderful and long may it continue but just because things are rosey for you right now NEVER underestimate how quickly things can change or have the attitude you have as it makes you look like a complete prick.





been banging this drum from day 1 , ive lost 2 people ive been friendly with over this too, one suicide who saw no future for a business he had spent 30 years building which just ground to a halt, slowly started up again , only for the new restrictions and threat of it being 6 months to very much finish it off.. the other of a heart attack who had chest pains but was more scared of the hospital than his impending death. literally scared to death... i know of a number of covid deaths through friends none of whom thought the dead relative had long anyway ..i know its killing younger pple but seriously not many... .

the tag early on was health v wealth ...yes truer words have never been spoken... those financially secure v those desperate to live and have a life.
skidemin
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby robjohn » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:24 pm

Pencoed wrote:The virus is mainly gone to effect those over 80 those who fort, lived through the Second World War and the after effects. Those who were separated from loved ones for indefinitely with pen an paper as contact because they were at war or evacuated.

They got on with it.

Mental health is a serious problem. Feeling a bit down or been worried about your job is not a mental health issue


yes it is and scaring the shit out of children again like with climate change will have far reaching soclal consequences.

We already had the most serious problem caused by social mediis has amplified it big time.
robjohn
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby robjohn » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:26 pm

skidemin wrote:
RV Casual wrote:I am sure your a decent person but this is a terrible post that I think/hope you will regret.

Personaly speaking I know of only 3 people who have had Covid 19 and none of them died.

I have lost a mate to Suicide during the Pandemic, a very good friend of mine lost her Nan (and whilst she died of natural courses) the family believe she just gave up as she was in the care home and her mental health deteriorated rapidly when she had no personal interaction.

I am also currently seriously worried about 3 friends, one didn't work from March untill last Month as Gyms were closed and is constantly worried that they will be shut down again. He is absolutely fried for want of a better word. Another one of my mates has work up untill the end of this month at which point they may well be let go, even more so if the hospitality sector goes. And another one of my mates who lives alone cannot deal with the loneliness.

If your life is good, that is wonderful and long may it continue but just because things are rosey for you right now NEVER underestimate how quickly things can change or have the attitude you have as it makes you look like a complete prick.





been banging this drum from day 1 , ive lost 2 people ive been friendly with over this too, one suicide who saw no future for a business he had spent 30 years building which just ground to a halt, slowly started up again , only for the new restrictions and threat of it being 6 months to very much finish it off.. the other of a heart attack who had chest pains but was more scared of the hospital than his impending death. literally scared to death... i know of a number of covid deaths through friends none of whom thought the dead relative had long anyway ..i know its killing younger pple but seriously not many... .

the tag early on was health v wealth ...yes truer words have never been spoken... those financially secure v those desperate to live and have a life.


They don't give a shit how many disillusioned men commit suicide they are not a protected group,
robjohn
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby robjohn » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:53 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:What a load of nonsense. The generation that "got on with it" had much higher suicide rates during the 50's and 60's than we have now.
For women between 1950 - 1970 the average female suicide rate was 12 per 100k and for men it was for men it was 19 per 100k, compared to these days (2010 - 2020) where for women the average is less than 5 per 100k and for men it's around 15.
The "Blitz spirit" that constantly gets tossed out there like some patriotic rallying cry is rubbish. If you look into some less rosy tinted accounts from the Blitz it would be a period of shame and disgust, not honour and pride.

Mental health is a major issue for all ages whether it's PTSD from warfare, rationing and separation from family, job losses or fear of homelessness. People in their 20's and early 30's have gone through 2 "once in a lifetime" economic disasters in the last 12 years in a crucial period of their lives where many of them would've been trying to secure their employment for the next few decades.
I'm in my 20's and I've given up most hope of ever owning my own home, I'm living with the assumption I'll be working more than one job for several years and raising children with a partner also seems unlikely. Luckily I'm quite an optimistic person so I'm not "a bit down" about it all but I know people in my age group who have killed themselves, cut themselves, turned to drink and drugs because for them living or living sober is too much for them.

Mental health issues can absolutely stem from job losses, many smaller things can trigger it too. Unfortunately the systems in our country to deal with such issues are laughably poor and are constantly being ignored.


totally agree with you mate perhaps that no nothing should watch the boys from the blackstuff to see what the men and their families had to go through in the early 80s,it devasted a whole working class generation.
robjohn
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby skidemin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:51 pm

robjohn wrote:
skidemin wrote:
RV Casual wrote:I am sure your a decent person but this is a terrible post that I think/hope you will regret.

Personaly speaking I know of only 3 people who have had Covid 19 and none of them died.

I have lost a mate to Suicide during the Pandemic, a very good friend of mine lost her Nan (and whilst she died of natural courses) the family believe she just gave up as she was in the care home and her mental health deteriorated rapidly when she had no personal interaction.

I am also currently seriously worried about 3 friends, one didn't work from March untill last Month as Gyms were closed and is constantly worried that they will be shut down again. He is absolutely fried for want of a better word. Another one of my mates has work up untill the end of this month at which point they may well be let go, even more so if the hospitality sector goes. And another one of my mates who lives alone cannot deal with the loneliness.

If your life is good, that is wonderful and long may it continue but just because things are rosey for you right now NEVER underestimate how quickly things can change or have the attitude you have as it makes you look like a complete prick.





been banging this drum from day 1 , ive lost 2 people ive been friendly with over this too, one suicide who saw no future for a business he had spent 30 years building which just ground to a halt, slowly started up again , only for the new restrictions and threat of it being 6 months to very much finish it off.. the other of a heart attack who had chest pains but was more scared of the hospital than his impending death. literally scared to death... i know of a number of covid deaths through friends none of whom thought the dead relative had long anyway ..i know its killing younger pple but seriously not many... .

the tag early on was health v wealth ...yes truer words have never been spoken... those financially secure v those desperate to live and have a life.


They don't give a shit how many disillusioned men commit suicide they are not a protected group,



its a bit more than disillusioned
skidemin
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus v Mental Health

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:37 pm

As someone who has battled with Bi-Polar all my adult life, I can weigh in a bit on this issue.

While I wouldn't ever talk for anyone else, I can personally say that the biggest single factor in my being able to move from suffering from regular bouts of depression to being able to live with it and now being able to control it and even harness the flip side of bi-polar which is periods of very high focus and creativity - has come from embracing responsibility.

Knowing that I have to provide for my family is one hell of a driver to keep going pushing me onwards. Knowing there is more I can do to give my kids as good a life as I can afford is a major driver pulling me forward. The responsibility of being a provider helps keep me moving on those two plains. That in and of itself has at large helped me keep my demons at bay.

Strip away someone's ability to hold onto that responsibility, take away their ability to earn their own wage, and you are opening a floodgate for depression to take hold as it pulls away what I believe to be one of the most fundamental drivers to emotional health.

The longer the lockdowns continue, the more this problem will continue to be exacerbated, and sadly the more likely this will be to effect someone you love.

:ayatollah:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
User avatar
ealing_ayatollah
 
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:29 pm



Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bakedalasker, bluebirdoct1962, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Igovernor, JJbluebird, Man of Harlech, moonboots, Ray Bishop, Tonteg Bluebird, tonyinthai, TopCat CCFC and 179 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.