Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bacuna is not a #10. Here are some City players who can be.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Bacuna playing behind Moore in the first half did not work one bit today. I've never imagined Bacuna playing as a number 10, and today demonstrates why perfectly.

Here are the players currently at City who I believe can play (or have played) the number 10 role efficiently. With some players I believe could surprise some people in that position.

-Tomlin (Self explanatory)

-Ralls (I believe a run in that position would really allow us to see his best there, I think most city fans would agree he's got a good shot on him and can spot a good pass)

-Mark Harris (Watching him over the years playing for the under 21/23's etc and also with the first team during pre season, he seems to be a very mature player for his age, also his link up with Moore in one of the friendlies for Moore's first non-competitive goal for Cardiff was eye opening. One to watch for sure)

I think some people would try Hoilett as a #10 too, but to be honest having seen him play there before I don't think he's quite got it for that position. Just because he's lost his pace on the wing doesn't mean he would suit playing more central. I don't believe he's got the composure/vision to spot a pass like you need to in that role.

What do you think? I'm a little excited at the thought of having Mark Harris integrated with the team. Let's face it, the first team isn't doing themselves any favors right now, and one thing that would give fans something to be optimistic about is actually playing our young players, instead of just talking about it for months and not acting on it.

Re: Bacuna is not a #10. Here are some City players who can

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:00 pm

You don't always need a 10 if you play a genuine 433. Liverpool don't play with one. But we expect our wide forwards to be full backs.
Josh Murphy is a wide forward who can score and assist, we insist he plays glorified full back

Play any three out of the four across the middle and leave the 3 up top to do their thing.

tomlin makes us play 4231 thats fine but why shoehorn something in that doesn't work.

We need a right back, Tutu looks quick and direct enough to maybe do a job as a wide forward. Otherwise we need a wide forward.

Harris is too defensive and we are going to get burnt for it.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:44 pm

We can play any system but reality is the players we have are simply not good enough to be top 6.

How many of this squad would get into either of our promotion sides starting XI? Probably only Morrison who was in the last one and Tomlin can always be argued for his on the day x factor but over a season he wouldnt play ahead of Whitts or Bellamy.

We are well off the pace.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:47 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:We can play any system but reality is the players we have are simply not good enough to be top 6.

How many of this squad would get into either of our promotion sides starting XI? Probably only Morrison who was in the last one and Tomlin can always be argued for his on the day x factor but over a season he wouldnt play ahead of Whitts or Bellamy.

How did he get such a long contract,

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:45 pm

llan bluebird wrote:You don't always need a 10 if you play a genuine 433. Liverpool don't play with one. But we expect our wide forwards to be full backs.
Josh Murphy is a wide forward who can score and assist, we insist he plays glorified full back

Play any three out of the four across the middle and leave the 3 up top to do their thing.

tomlin makes us play 4231 thats fine but why shoehorn something in that doesn't work.

We need a right back, Tutu looks quick and direct enough to maybe do a job as a wide forward. Otherwise we need a wide forward.

Harris is too defensive and we are going to get burnt for it.

This kind of thinking is too much for harris. 8 months in the job and its keep it tight get a set piece or hope a 31 year old with a hip problem can do something with 20 minutes off the bench. Hes had enough time and this is his vision for the club?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:11 am

stickywicket wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:We can play any system but reality is the players we have are simply not good enough to be top 6.

How did he get such a long contract,

A mystery. And shocking. Given where Reading were at the time too. Reading destroyed us away this time last year.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:42 pm

We literally finished top 6 not that long ago.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:07 am

Good to talk football not business or politics :)

Just had a look at Warnocks highest appearance players for the promotion year

Front three of Holliet, Zohore and NML. I would suggest (strongly) Junior is on the downgrade, Moore is a different player to Zohore but probably better and will score more and if we can stop Murphy from being a full a back a good substitute of NML

The middle Ralls, Bryson, Damour (Gunnar played less games) Ralls, Bacuna, Vaulks with the option of Pack is better than the promotion three apart for the games when gunnars leadership and organisation were very much needed.

Bennett, Sol, Morrison and Bruno - That's class for the championship- a three year younger Sol, and a Rolls Royce in Bruno

IMO - The reliance on Tomlin has stopped the raison d'etre of the promotion winning team that we were a frightening counter attacking team with a rock solid defence and mobile midfield to soak it up and hit you hard at some point(s) in the game.

This playing through the thirds is not for us. Pack is our best passer and he is poor at it, well not good enough to build the system around him like Malky did with Whitts. We also can't build a system around a 31 year old with dodgy hip, knee or hamstrings.

We need to build it around Keiffer, he needs pace either side of him and i think Ralls will do a good enough job at getting close to him to knock in a few goals and assists.

We need a right back (still) and a genuine wide forward. A younger uncle Albert would be great.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:02 am

TAZ MAYEMBE