Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

First time since the Russel Slade era

Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:20 pm

First time since the Russel Slade years that I'm watching a city team that's really getting me down.

Playing Hoilett & Ojo all the time is comparable to Slade playing Whitts and Gunnarson in the middle.
Cunningham today was reminiscent of watching Scott Malone all over again, arguably worse.
Moore up front like playing Kenwyne Jones except Moore putting alot more energy in but nobody there to create chances for him.

We've gone backwards this window, there's no hiding that. There IS a team here, I believe it. But the starting 11 needs to include Ralls, Tomlin, Bennett, Murphy and I think it's time to give Bamba a run of games. We're conceding ALOT of goals from set pieces and open play collectively, as much as I like Nelson he's not tall, strong, or talented enough when you compare him to Bamba. I agree Bamba looked past his best during pre season and in the cup game, but are we really going to suggest Playing Bamba in a run of games isn't going to get him shining again? He's lost a bit of pace but I saw enough in his appearence off the bench to see his legs are still there.

We NEED a shake up next week. If anybody thinks I'm being unreasonable to suggest defensive changes (I.E Nelson out for Bamba) after we've conceded 4 goals in 2 home games in the league this season, then to each their own.

Everything I've talked about is only possible with a strong, talented manager, of which I'm not convinced we have anymore.

*EDIT* I'm well aware certain players like Ralls & Bennett were unavailable today, I'm just saying generally I like them in the team. Especially with how Cunningham's performance was today

Re: First time since the Russel Slade era

Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:26 pm

You missed trollope in charge then :old:

Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:55 pm

Tynantbluebirds wrote:You missed trollope in charge then :old:

You beat me to it.
Bamba has been great but I think he’s carrying a bit of extra timber atm and looked completely out of sorts v Northampton.
Nelson wasn’t great today and neither was Morrison but you can’t chop and change after one poor performance. Agree that Cunningham wasn’t good.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:21 pm

To be fair to Cunningham, that’s his first league game since coming back from a cruciate injury. He was thrown in at the deep end today because Bennett was injured

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:31 am

Ray Bishop wrote:To be fair to Cunningham, that’s his first league game since coming back from a cruciate injury. He was thrown in at the deep end today because Bennett was injured

Yes that’s a fair point.
He wasn’t awful tbh just not that great (as 8 of the others really ).

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:46 pm

My biggest issue with cunningham and it was evident back when he played when we first signed him, he got forward and would lose the ball and would slowly track back leaving us open. He would suit a team that doesn't ask of its full backs to push on.

Biggest issue for me is I have no idea who he wants the team to play, everyone can see that hoilet isn't a winger anymore. He's been playing like an inside forward for a while. Maybe have him play a number 10 and then give tomlin 20/30 minutes until he's match fit (if he ever becomes match fit) we are missing laing. We are playing with pack in the side, who sits in front of the back 4, not mobile enough to do the defensive side of the job. Bacuna is a great box to box man, but next to him if you don't have ralls, you need a bit more creativity than vaulks.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:26 am

Can’t believe your serious about playing Murphy.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:43 pm

Think early let season was worse.. reading away was worst performance in many a year