Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff 'lockdown' figures..

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:27 am

Cardiff council leader Huw Thomas has warned of potential restrictions on travel and different households mixing.

He told a virtual meeting of the authority that over the past seven days, the area has seen 38.2 cases per 100,000 people

I'm struggling to understand how you can arrive at this figure . They haven't tested 100,000 in Cardiff and even then there would be a .2 of a person. I doubt they've tested 1000 which would mean they've identified 0.382 of a case. The answer must be out there but it evades me ..

Re: Cardiff 'lockdown' figures..

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:10 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:Cardiff council leader Huw Thomas has warned of potential restrictions on travel and different households mixing.

He told a virtual meeting of the authority that over the past seven days, the area has seen 38.2 cases per 100,000 people

I'm struggling to understand how you can arrive at this figure . They haven't tested 100,000 in Cardiff and even then there would be a .2 of a person. I doubt they've tested 1000 which would mean they've identified 0.382 of a case. The answer must be out there but it evades me ..

They are guessing the numbers based on how many been tested and found positive ! Based on their figures ther are roughly 120 people out population of 330k shear lunacy to put restrictions based on so few people... :banghead:

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:18 pm

Cardiff, Swansea and Llanelli in lockdown from Sunday.

Forget seeing your relatives, your friends, going on holiday, going to football or anything which you may enjoy doing for the next few months as the dictator Drakeford and his equally pathetic sidekick Gething continue to deprive us of our freedoms and civil liberties piece by piece.

Great job you're doing lads - all the previous extended lockdown, all the face masks we have to wear indoors has all worked so well that almost the entirety of South Wales is now cut off again from the rest of the country.

How many have supposedly died "with Covid" this month? Is it still less than 10?

How many have died from other causes including those brought on directly as a result of lockdowns?

Who gives a shit eh?

Certainly not the WAG

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:37 pm

Cardiff doesn’t have a population that is exactly 100,000 or a multiple of it so the numbers will sometimes have remainders.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:42 pm

davids wrote:Cardiff, Swansea and Llanelli in lockdown from Sunday.

Forget seeing your relatives, your friends, going on holiday, going to football or anything which you may enjoy doing for the next few months as the dictator Drakeford and his equally pathetic sidekick Gething continue to deprive us of our freedoms and civil liberties piece by piece.

Great job you're doing lads - all the previous extended lockdown, all the face masks we have to wear indoors has all worked so well that almost the entirety of South Wales is now cut off again from the rest of the country.

How many have supposedly died "with Covid" this month? Is it still less than 10?

How many have died from other causes including those brought on directly as a result of lockdowns?

Who gives a shit eh?

Certainly not the WAG

how to get an accurate or more accurate gauge... you randomly set up outside a supermarket and test 1k people...

how to get the result you want... set up a test centre and test only people who feel they might have symptoms or been in contact with someome positive and then assume you can expand the result across all those not showing symptoms and not been in contact with a positive... there is no way they believe this is scientific... and just not how it works..

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:46 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:Cardiff doesn’t have a population that is exactly 100,000 or a multiple of it so the numbers will sometimes have remainders.

its tests not population but yes.. your not going to be testing in round numbers... but doesnt matter if its 10 people or 10k people... if your tests are centered around those most likely to be positive the result is worthless....

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:49 pm

skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:Cardiff doesn’t have a population that is exactly 100,000 or a multiple of it so the numbers will sometimes have remainders.

its tests not population but yes.. your not going to be testing in round numbers... but doesnt matter if its 10 people or 10k people... if your tests are centered around those most likely to be positive the result is worthless....

And even testing those most likely to be positive has shown the vast majority to be negative.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:53 pm

Who gives a shit eh?

Certainly not the WAG

I really wish someone in the mainstream media - BBC, ITV, Channel 4, SKY - would just once ask either Johnson or Hancock, or one of those super-brained health experts what they think about 10 x as many dying of Cancer etc. They'll all bugger off probably in the New Year..

Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:

Who gives a shit eh?

Certainly not the WAG

I really wish someone in the mainstream media - BBC, ITV, Channel 4, SKY - would just once ask either Johnson or Hancock, or one of those super-brained health experts what they think about 10 x as many dying of Cancer etc. They'll all bugger off probably in the New Year..

Lately been stories of how they are reducing backlog of treatments, it's a load of bollocks hospitals do not have capacity to clear thousands of people in many areas of medicine! Take cancer treatments no spare capacity in singleton and machines or staff dont grow on trees.... and all but essential appointments in any outpatient dept are stopped? And looking at panic over positive tests that'll be situation for next 6mnths probably..

Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:14 pm

davids wrote:
skidemin wrote:

And even testing those most likely to be positive has shown the vast majority to be negative.

its beyond mental...its like gauging how many vegetarians live in Cardiff based on a survey taken outside the butchers.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:30 pm

skidemin wrote:
davids wrote:
skidemin wrote:

its beyond mental...its like gauging how many vegetarians live in Cardiff based on a survey taken outside the butchers.

It is beyond mental. It's like some Kafkaesque nightmare as the Authorities plough on regardless without any regard for anything else ..

Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:22 pm

According to WAG guidelines when a local authorities rate of new infections reach a figure of 50 cases per 100,000 head of population the strict lockdown measures would be introduced.

According to Public Health Wales, the current infection rate for Cardiff is 37.9 cases per 100,000 head of population - lower than it was yesterday. 27 new infections in Cardiff today - lower than it was yesterday.

So what possible justification can the WAG have for introducing stricter lockdown conditions for Cardiff?

Will they be challenged on this by anybody? Will the media raise the question?

Will they be asked why despite having the longest lockdown in the UK of all the countries they are now so desperate to place almost half the population of the country into further lockdowns as soon as they can?

Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:11 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:Cardiff council leader Huw Thomas has warned of potential restrictions on travel and different households mixing.

You can get the detail on the Public Health Wales website Dashboard in the Cases by Local Authority. As of 24th September there were 139 positive cases from the tests carried out over the last 7 days. That was 3.9% positive in ALL tests carried out. When you divide the positive cases by the population (367k for Cardiff) then multiply by 100,000 you get the number of cases per 100,000. Yesterday it was 37.9 over a rolling 7 days. Today there were 29 cases 4.1% positive and 7.9 cases per 100,000.

That's enough for Brothers Drakeford & Gething to apply a pretend Lockdown which in reality is nothing more than additional restrictions that Lock you in your local Council area. As a resident in Caerphilly we are now locked in and will remain imprisoned in Drakeford & Gething jail for god knows how long.

But as Daft Drakeford always says "This how we do it in Wales"

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:07 pm

About a 1000 people die every day from cancer or heart disease alone, expect this to double in two years with the neglect that’s going on. So new lockdown and about 150 people in cardiff out of 350,000 have coronavirus.....if the tests right which many say they might not be, picking up colds also....

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:40 pm

UK Gov and the Welsh Gov - Said it before - Say it again ------ Not Got A Clue .... :shock: :o

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:42 pm

goats wrote:About a 1000 people die every day from cancer or heart disease alone, expect this to double in two years with the neglect that’s going on. So new lockdown and about 150 people in cardiff out of 350,000 have coronavirus.....if the tests right which many say they might not be, picking up colds also....

7 months in and the avoidable deaths and inevitable deaths to come directly caused by the covid panic are still not being considered or mentioned nearly enough... there is a big price to pay and no one cares how many lives the price is.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:04 am

I had the EXACT figures back from Jayne Cowan 2 days ago.

For the last 7 days there were 3290 Covid19 tests carried out in Cardiff - that is less than 1 percent of the population of Cardiff (360k approx population)

Out of those 3290 tests - 87 were positive - that represents about 2% (of the original 1% figure - if you follow).

So you do the math in the last week 87 confirmed positive tests out of a population of approx 360,000 people.

Of course this doesnt include the number of people already infected (I dont have those figures)

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:25 am

castleblue wrote:

You can get the detail on the Public Health Wales website Dashboard in the Cases by Local Authority. As of 24th September there were 139 positive cases from the tests carried out over the last 7 days. That was 3.9% positive in ALL tests carried out. When you divide the positive cases by the population (367k for Cardiff) then multiply by 100,000 you get the number of cases per 100,000. Yesterday it was 37.9 over a rolling 7 days. Today there were 29 cases 4.1% positive and 7.9 cases per 100,000

That's enough for Brothers Drakeford & Gething to apply a pretend Lockdown which in reality is nothing more than additional restrictions that Lock you in your local Council area. As a resident in Caerphilly we are now locked in and will remain imprisoned in Drakeford & Gething jail for god knows how long.

Thanks - bit more clear now.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:35 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:I had the EXACT figures back from Jayne Cowan 2 days ago.

For the last 7 days there were 3290 Covid19 tests carried out in Cardiff - that is less than 1 percent of the population of Cardiff (360k approx population)

Out of those 3290 tests - 87 were positive - that represents about 2% (of the original 1% figure - if you follow).

So you do the math in the last week 87 confirmed positive tests out of a population of approx 360,000 people.

Of course this doesnt include the number of people already infected (I dont have those figures)

So it's not proportional - simply the more tests you do the higher the number of cases confirmed. If they test 2 x 3290 and get 2 x 87 positives = 174, that would be 174 confirmed cases out of a population of 360,000. If they did half the number of tests it would be 43.5. !!!!

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:08 am

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:
ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:I had the EXACT figures back from Jayne Cowan 2 days ago.

So it's not proportional - simply the more tests you do the higher the number of cases confirmed. If they test 2 x 3290 and get 2 x 87 positives = 174, that would be 174 confirmed cases out of a population of 360,000. If they did half the number of tests it would be 43.5. !!!!

i dont think doubling the tests would double the positives as you have to assume those inflicted the worse would all be in that 3290 along with the most concerned about having picked it up having been in contact with another positive... pretty obvious though numbers would be up.. i think UK infections for the last week show this clearly..37295 infections { the highest its been } and up 15% on the 7 days 30th apr - 6th May ...but testing is much much higher now .... deaths last 7 days were 204 though which is less than 6% of the 3,809 deaths in the may week... so either we are now finding more asymptomatic / very mild / false positives having expanded the testing or the virus has become considerably weaker /

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:33 pm

We now have the situation where you can travel to Pembrokeshire for a holiday from a part of England with a higher rate of infection than say Cardiff but can't travel from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for a holiday because Cardiff is locked down.

Why does Drakeford hate the Welsh people so much and why do so many Welsh people still think he's doing a brilliant job?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Questions - Which of the Welsh political parties have the policy to go to the country (Wales) to check we haven't changed our minds over the last 20 years and still want devolution ?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:34 pm

davids wrote:We now have the situation where you can travel to Pembrokeshire for a holiday from a part of England with a higher rate of infection than say Cardiff but can't travel from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for a holiday because Cardiff is locked down.

Why does Drakeford hate the Welsh people so much and why do so many Welsh people still think he's doing a brilliant job?

He hates pembrokeshire even when he was its AM... hes power mad wants to be seen as the great leader but in reality he is a differing politician looking at what others do before following them..... speaks to people in a way you'd love to smack him with a wet kipper .

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:38 pm

skidemin wrote:
A Quiet Monkfish wrote:

i dont think doubling the tests would double the positives as you have to assume those inflicted the worse would all be in that 3290 along with the most concerned about having picked it up having been in contact with another positive... pretty obvious though numbers would be up.. i think UK infections for the last week show this clearly..37295 infections { the highest its been } and up 15% on the 7 days 30th apr - 6th May ...but testing is much much higher now .... deaths last 7 days were 204 though which is less than 6% of the 3,809 deaths in the may week... so either we are now finding more asymptomatic / very mild / false positives having expanded the testing or the virus has become considerably weaker /

Its simply more symptomatic the rate is very high something like 80% of people tested are symptomatic! And they wonder why its spreading with social contact in pubs ect.... funny fact more catch it in hospital environment than outside it....

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:28 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Questions - Which of the Welsh political parties have the policy to go to the country (Wales) to check we haven't changed our minds over the last 20 years and still want devolution ?

https://www.abolishthewelshassembly.co.uk/

not sure about changing minds....
the election was as bent as a butchers hook..with Blair and Labour pushing it for all their worth.. and still ended up fixing it..

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:38 am

Why are people in England allowed to leave their lockdown area to go on holiday ? ? Surely the whole point of it is to stop people travelling and spreading the virus ???
No wonder nobody understands what they can or can’t do anymore

What the country should be doing is educating and emphasising the distancing , hand cleansing and improving track, trace and testing as we need to learn to live with the virus as there is no vaccine available at the moment , the sooner we learn to live with the virus , the better for all !!

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:17 am

billy ronson wrote:Why are people in England allowed to leave their lockdown area to go on holiday ? ? Surely the whole point of it is to stop people travelling and spreading the virus ???

What the country should be doing is educating and emphasising the distancing , hand cleansing and improving track, trace and testing as we need to learn to live with the virus as there is no vaccine available at the moment , the sooner we learn to live with the virus , the better for all !!

It's a strange one.

Had a holiday booked in West Wales starting this Saturday. My sister, who live in Essex, was coming with us.

As Cardiff is now locked down we can't go but she can go on her own travelling right the way across the country to stay by herself. Also, because one of our group is able to go there the holiday company will not provide a refund or allow us to rebook for another time.

Effectively means that anybody in lockdown in Wales (ie almost everybody) cannot go on holiday or take a short break outside their own lockdown area until Adolf Drakeford decides they can do so.

Still, must be nice for the citizens of Newport to look forward to a nice relaxing fortnight in Pill.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:55 pm

billy ronson wrote:Why are people in England allowed to leave their lockdown area to go on holiday ? ? Surely the whole point of it is to stop people travelling and spreading the virus ???

If believe reports vaccine only available to key groups in 2021 rest in 22 if of course we find a workable vaccine :shock:

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:06 pm

skidemin wrote:
davids wrote:
skidemin wrote:

:laughing6: In fairness thats a good analogy :thumbup:

I think there is a bit of petty politics being played out, Drakeford wants to come out of this with less deaths per population than Boris, he's keeping things locked down longer and slamming tighter measures and local lockdowns quicker.

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:11 pm

castleblue wrote:

You can get the detail on the Public Health Wales website Dashboard in the Cases by Local Authority. As of 24th September there were 139 positive cases from the tests carried out over the last 7 days. That was 3.9% positive in ALL tests carried out. When you divide the positive cases by the population (367k for Cardiff) then multiply by 100,000 you get the number of cases per 100,000. Yesterday it was 37.9 over a rolling 7 days. Today there were 29 cases 4.1% positive and 7.9 cases per 100,000.

Petty point scoring politics and saving Tenby and Snowdonia from any outbreaks, I glanced at the Welsh news and saw a headline £20Million for the hospitality industry, I wonder what areas will get the lions share of that?