" EFL chairman warns that EFL is facing black hole "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:07 pm

EFL chairman Rick Parry has called on the Government and Premier League for financial assistance as clubs prepare for huge losses from a season played behind closed doors

By John Cross

Rick Parry has warned the EFL is facing a £200m black hole - and League One and Two clubs could be forced into hibernation without a cash bail out.

EFL chairman Parry spoke out after the Government put plans for supporters to return to stadiums on hold with a growing belief they will not be allowed back for the entire 2020/21 season.

Parry said: “EFL Clubs lost £50m last season as a result of playing matches behind closed doors or curtailing the season and stand to lose a further £200m in 2020/21 should we be required to play the whole season without supporters in grounds.

“I am encouraged that the Government has recognised the need for urgent financial assistance for sport and discussions will continue with DCMS and the Premier League.”

It would be devastating for the bottom two divisions of the EFL and Parry is now going public with his pleas for the Premier League to answer their SOS and deliver a financial rescue package.

The Premier League is discussing offering an emergency loan to the EFL with a low interest rate after the Government made it clear that it will be down to football to step in.

Mirror Sport understands there would be a real threat of clubs in League One and Two having to go into “hibernation” and write off the entire campaign unless the Premier League plugs the gap.

They are already in dire financial straits after last season’s lockdown but they will not be able to pay the bills to run the club, pay the players and overheads without any gate receipts coming in.

EFL chairman Parry spoke out after the Government put plans for supporters to return to stadiums on hold with a growing belief they will not be allowed back for the entire 2020/21 season.

Parry said: “EFL Clubs lost £50m last season as a result of playing matches behind closed doors or curtailing the season and stand to lose a further £200m in 2020/21 should we be required to play the whole season without supporters in grounds.

“I am encouraged that the Government has recognised the need for urgent financial assistance for sport and discussions will continue with DCMS and the Premier League.”

It would be devastating for the bottom two divisions of the EFL and Parry is now going public with his pleas for the Premier League to answer their SOS and deliver a financial rescue package.

The Premier League is discussing offering an emergency loan to the EFL with a low interest rate after the Government made it clear that it will be down to football to step in.

Mirror Sport understands there would be a real threat of clubs in League One and Two having to go into “hibernation” and write off the entire campaign unless the Premier League plugs the gap.

They are already in dire financial straits after last season’s lockdown but they will not be able to pay the bills to run the club, pay the players and overheads without any gate receipts coming in.

One executive at an EFL club told Mirror Sport: “Unless the Premier League steps in then League One and Two could have to go into hibernation as it’s just not viable to run a club without fans and the gate receipts.”

Premier League bosses are talking with the clubs but, as Mirror Sport revealed yesterday, the majority are on board but there are some doubters who insist they have got their own problems.

Prem chiefs advanced £125m in funding during lockdown and now are under Government pressure to give out nearly twice as much which would come in the form of a loan repaid at a low interest rate.

Discussions are understood to be ongoing at Premier League level and there is a strong belief it will happen - although the EFL are concerned as it has been a topic for discussion for weeks and has yet to be resolved.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " EFL chairman warns that EFL is facing black hole "

Postby blue lagoon » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Players need to take a 30% pay cut at all levels.
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:12 pm

Something needs to be done .
TopCat CCFC

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:57 pm

blue lagoon wrote:Players need to take a 30% pay cut at all levels.

Won't happen though :banghead: too much greed! Whilst I agree a paycut of that level would more than likely save the little clubs,at all levels it would be harsh on the youngsters who maybe earn 3/5 hundred a week,and some wouldn't be able to survive on a personal level,if forced to take a 30% cut in pay. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby RV Casual » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:38 am

If this read players need to take a paycut based on the amount they earn then I think most would agree but you can hardly expect a player at say Morecambe earning 400 a week to drop down to 280.

However, I read this morning that if the top 5 Premier League earners all gave a weeks wages it would be enough to give all League 2 Clubs £100,000 each which would be enough to pay their playing squads for the next 2/3 months.

That's just off 5 players so when you think of all the rest that are on mega bucks and what could be done if they just took a small hit then it does ask the question.

A lot of them have been on the gravy train for a long time and it's time they gave something back.
RV Casual

Postby RV Casual » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:43 am

PS.

I will probably get hammered for this but as much as I love our Club its why I didn't buy a season ticket.

I'm not putting my money in whilst I'm struggling through a pandemic whilst the players do nothing. Them taking a wage deferral was a piss take in my opinion, Mehmet Dalman ptacticly said the same.

We were not saving the Club we were just just making sure the players could carry on the gravy train.
RV Casual

Postby skiprat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:50 am

I'm not really into economics but isn't anyone earning over 50k a year taxed at 50%?. Therefore big earners pay massive amounts of tax which helps pay the enormous benefits bill in this country?
skiprat

Postby maccydee » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:06 am

Let’s be honest this isn’t going to be a loan is it? Who is going to be able to pay it back?

It’s shit but I don’t think there’s any doubt this Covid is going to change the football world long after it goes away.
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:07 am

RV Casual wrote:

If this read players need to take a paycut based on the amount they earn then I think most would agree but you can hardly expect a player at say Morecambe earning 400 a week to drop down to 280.

However, I read this morning that if the top 5 Premier League earners all gave a weeks wages it would be enough to give all League 2 Clubs £100,000 each which would be enough to pay their playing squads for the next 2/3 months.

That's just off 5 players so when you think of all the rest that are on mega bucks and what could be done if they just took a small hit then it does ask the question.

A lot of them have been on the gravy train for a long time and it's time they gave something back.

This
maccydee

Postby Abergavenny » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am

skiprat wrote:I'm not really into economics but isn't anyone earning over 50k a year taxed at 50%?. Therefore big earners pay massive amounts of tax which helps pay the enormous benefits bill in this country?

Not quite 40% and over 150k 45% The top 1% of earners play nearly 40% of uk tax We would be fucked without that tax income
Abergavenny

Postby RV Casual » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:09 am

skiprat wrote:I'm not really into economics but isn't anyone earning over 50k a year taxed at 50%?. Therefore big earners pay massive amounts of tax which helps pay the enormous benefits bill in this country?

Even if he was paying 50% tax Gareth Bale for example would still take home £1million a month in wages. Ozil £700,000 and so on.

The tax contribution to 'society' is obviously good but they could still contribute from their vast wealth to help support the game of 'Fotball' which is what has given them their fortunes in the first place.

It's either that or Football as we know it goes bust. I'm good either way, I would be OK with taking the whole game back to the drawing board.
RV Casual

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:42 pm

Culture and sports minister says premier league must help efl before gvmnt will step in if at all ! :shock:
pembroke allan

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:30 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Culture and sports minister says premier league must help efl before gvmnt will step in if at all ! :shock:

They don't have a clue allan .
TopCat CCFC

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:11 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Culture and sports minister says premier league must help efl before gvmnt will step in if at all ! :shock:

They don't have a clue allan .

They are going under guise of cannot help everyone! But on talk sport a well known money man in football said usa hedge fund is willing to give £200m to efl interest free! but have interest paid by epl that way no cost to efl clubs... be interesting to see what developes
pembroke allan

Postby blue lagoon » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:21 am

This is a fantastic opportunity for football around the world to reset and start again.

Just go bust PLEASE and give players new contracts. Price cap on season tickets On all levels of football as well.

SEASON TICKETS CAPPED:-
500 in prem
300 EFL INCLUDING CUP TICKETS(LOL)
PRICE CAP ON TICKETS/20 IS PLENTY

I KNOW IM DREAMING, BUT CLUBS SAY THEY MISS US AND WITHOUT US THE GAME IS NOTHING. SO HOW ABOUT TREATING US WITH SOME FU... RESPECT.
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Return to General Chat