Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING NEIL HARRIS: " MENDEZ-LAING "

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:02 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Have you spoken to him?

"I’ve not spoken to him over the last 48 hours but I had a great working relationship with him and my working relationship goes beyond the training pitch.

"I speak to them on the phone about on-field matters and off-field matters.

"Mendy, I spoke to him in weeks gone by but not the last 48 hours."

Were you part of the decision?

"I was. The severity of it, I was consulted. I have an excellent relationship with the board and the owner.

"It is a football club decision and I am a part of the club.

"Yes [I am comfortable with it]."

Is this a decision taken over a period of time or last few days?

"It’s a decision that hasn’t been taken lightly, it’s a serious decision.

"A lot of thought has gone into it but ultimately a decision was taken for the best interest of Cardiff City Football Club."

Is your door open to him?

"Yeah. Danny Ward left us in the summer and I got on extremely well with him. Players I managed at Millwall.

"People need someone to lean on and advise. With Mendez, yes the door will always be open."

BEN JAMES
PFA involved?

"Of course, the PFA represent players and they are a voice of reason. They are always there to offer advice and support to their players and played a big part of this.

"They were informed and part of it."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL HARRIS: " MENDEZ-LAING "

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:04 pm

Last thing you need, how much of a blow to preparations?

NEIL HARRIS:

"As of now, no, because Mendez was an important player and a good player at the level, but he doesn’t work for us anymore or doesn’t play for us anymore.

"We have prepared diligently over the summer. Sheyi Ojo is in the building and looking very good in training.

"Competition for places in attacking positions is fine.

"I spoke to the players this morning and addressed the situation, they were great. We are now fully focused on Sheffield Wednesday and ready for the league campaign.

"The players had the best day’s training since the day before Fulham in the second leg of the play-offs."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Players’ reaction?

NEIL HARRIS:

"The players care about team-mates and they care about the industry they work in and understand the comings and goings in professional football.

"Some senior players have been given as much knowledge as can be afforded to them and they have been very understanding.

"Today, we quickly refocused and are ready and prepared for Saturday.

"That is the clear message for everybody. A really exciting season and a really exciting squad."

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Ojo in the building :D

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Duty of care towards a player, Nathaniel left Peterborough under a cloud, two strikes and out or does he have a future?

NEIL HARRIS:

"That’s not for me to answer at the moment. I think Nathaniel has proven himself to be a very good player at this level.

"Only time will tell what the future holds.

"It’s important now that I separate myself from those conversations and focus on the players working under me now.

"The turnaround between yesterday’s news and Saturday… I have to focus on that now."

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Do you feel let down?

NEIL HARRIS:

"I don’t think it’s a time for reflection for me personally.

"We need to take time to digest what’s going on and I’ve spent my time focusing on my players and giving my all to them for what is a tough fixture.

"It’s been a difficult period.

"But I’m really looking forward to Saturday now."

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:21 pm

Doesn’t make the team more vulnerable?

NEIL HARRIS:

"I don’t do social media so I don’t follow that, I’m sure there’s a lot of debate.

"I have to separate myself from that, my players do too.

"But training today was immense, so we all move on now as a group."

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Duty of care towards a player, Nathaniel left Peterborough under a cloud, two strikes and out or does he have a future?

NEIL HARRIS:

"That’s not for me to answer at the moment. I think Nathaniel has proven himself to be a very good player at this level.

"Only time will tell what the future holds.

"It’s important now that I separate myself from those conversations and focus on the players working under me now.

"The turnaround between yesterday’s news and Saturday… I have to focus on that now."

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Young men make mistakes, like Gareth Southgate says. Do you agree with that?

NEIL HARRIS:

"I’m not going to talk about Mendez in connection with Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood.

"Those two apologised for doing something wrong, two very young footballers.

"Connecting that with what’s happened with us, I’ve not got a comment to make on that."

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:13 pm

Interesting part was he said afforded senior players with as much information as he could? If he cannot defuldge full information to players Things will only come out when it is legally allowed to do so by sound of it?

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:22 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Interesting part was he said afforded senior players with as much information as he could? If he cannot defuldge full information to players Things will only come out when it is legally allowed to do so by sound of it?

Harris started his press conference by saying he can only say so much for legal reasons so I assume that whatever that NML did - it's going to court.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:25 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Interesting part was he said afforded senior players with as much information as he could? If he cannot defuldge full information to players Things will only come out when it is legally allowed to do so by sound of it?

Harris started his press conference by saying he can only say so much for legal reasons so I assume that whatever that NML did - it's going to court.

fully understand both club and player zipping up... really surprised the media are not all over it though..

Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:19 pm

skidemin wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

fully understand both club and player zipping up... really surprised the media are not all over it though..

Yeah, I would agree with that.

Surprised they haven't revealed what it is, because you can guarantee the media know what it is.

Woukd not surprise me if the national UK papers are saving something for their Sunday edition.

Re: BREAKING NEIL HARRIS: " MENDEZ-LAING "

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:55 pm

Gets stranger by minute! Harris say time will tell if things come out... probably meaning it's an internal matter? But then goes on to say hes bound by legal protocol? If it's a legal matter that will certainly come into public domain..... plus couldn't tell players full story either? But strangest is lack of press news on story which can only mean there is some sort of legal block on reporting what happened..... intriguing :roll:

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:09 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Gets stranger by minute! Harris say time will tell if things come out... probably meaning it's an internal matter? But then goes on to say hes bound by legal protocol? If it's a legal matter that will certainly come into public domain..... plus couldn't tell players full story either? But strangest is lack of press news on story which can only mean there is some sort of legal block on reporting what happened..... intriguing :roll:

Could be the clubs own internal legal proceedings. Hard to know really.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:33 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Gets stranger by minute! Harris say time will tell if things come out... probably meaning it's an internal matter? But then goes on to say hes bound by legal protocol? If it's a legal matter that will certainly come into public domain..... plus couldn't tell players full story either? But strangest is lack of press news on story which can only mean there is some sort of legal block on reporting what happened..... intriguing :roll:

Could be the clubs own internal legal proceedings. Hard to know really.

Maybe internal but no need of their own legal stuff to keep it quiet ... whilst it could be internal Harris does go on to say its very serious which only adds to the intrigue

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:57 pm

JulesK wrote:Ojo in the building :D

Play him, I say... :lol:

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:24 pm

Sven wrote:
JulesK wrote:Ojo in the building :D

Play him, I say... :lol:

:clap: :clap: :laughing5: :old: :bluebird:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:50 am

Forever Blue wrote:Young men make mistakes, like Gareth Southgate says. Do you agree with that?

NEIL HARRIS:

"I’m not going to talk about Mendez in connection with Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood.

"Those two apologised for doing something wrong, two very young footballers.

"Connecting that with what’s happened with us, I’ve not got a comment to make on that."

honestly i cant believe that someone even asked this...
those 2 met 2 women and broke lockdown.
i think what ever NML has done must exceed that by some distance to be sacked..