Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: UPDATED: " NATHANIEL MENDEZ-LAING LEAVES CARDIFF CITY "

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:04 pm

Initially, I found these reports surreal, as NML was a key squad member; albeit an inconsistent one

However, speaking to someone away from Forum, I was told simply it's a potentially serious police matter that will result in serious charges being laid and a confident 'guilty' outcome

Someone above has gone pretty close with their comment and the Twitter comment speaks volumes

That the club have taken the early decision to 'terminate' his contract (nee sack) indicates they are satisfied the likely charges laid will stand up

A massive shame and I won't condemn until it's all out there. If true, he has a family and some worrying times ahead :cry:

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:34 pm

Shouldnt laugh but social media is a wash with rumours
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:36 pm

Karl wrote:
wez1927 wrote:This on twitter

Are you a big reader of the South Wales Post?

no

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:03 pm

Sven wrote:Initially, I found these reports surreal, as NML was a key squad member; albeit an inconsistent one

However, speaking to someone away from Forum, I was told simply it's a potentially serious police matter that will result in serious charges being laid and a confident 'guilty' outcome

Someone above has gone pretty close with their comment and the Twitter comment speaks volumes

That the club have taken the early decision to 'terminate' his contract (nee sack) indicates they are satisfied the likely charges laid will stand up

A massive shame and I won't condemn until it's all out there. If true, he has a family and some worrying times ahead :cry:

Well said Chris and your pretty spot on.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:08 pm

Sven wrote:Initially, I found these reports surreal, as NML was a key squad member; albeit an inconsistent one

Spot on Chris.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 pm

His brother is no saint, I’ll say that much and they are inseparable. His brother is in and out of prison and dabbles with class A’s.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:45 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

Spot on Chris.

Whatever it is, it is serious enough to get the sack. His Mrs has just had a baby so he has big responsibilities (unless you are a BLM supporter).
I would have thought in his position, with a big season for him and the club coming up, one year left on his contract, a career of only a few years to go, and with a family, that at his age he could act responsibly.
It is all rumours now but the club would not get rid of an asset (playing wise and financially) if it was not virtually cut and dried.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:05 pm

most of the speculation has revolved around law breaking... i do find it strange the club has acted prior to any charges... and that there has not been anything in the media regarding the same... i can think of half a dozen footballer cases similar to those being mentioned where the press were all over it before anyone got sacked... strange.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:11 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:I have a mate who works in Cardiff prison and I have it from a good source that it is definitely drug related. Make of it what you like but I dont think he will be joining Warnock anytime soon.
Such sad news and a waste of a talent but the club has done the right thing imo :bluebird:

A bit gutted for him, young family and playing well for us over the last few years, and gutted for us, he was the best winger along with Hoillett.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:25 pm

Maybe he robbed a fruit machine?

Serious Stuff

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:46 pm

He was a player that I would want in any team and has turned matches from defeat to wins for us.

So it must be a significant breach of contract for the club to jeopardise such a talent.

Sad waste of a career. He'll be back for another club. I think Warnock will be on the blower (no pun intended) to his agent early doors tomorrow

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:47 pm

skidemin wrote:

most of the speculation has revolved around law breaking... i do find it strange the club has acted prior to any charges... and that there has not been anything in the media regarding the same... i can think of half a dozen footballer cases similar to those being mentioned where the press were all over it before anyone got sacked... strange.

Aparently already charged and been in court

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:59 pm

wez1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

must be some record of this ?

Re: Serious Stuff

Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:03 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:He was a player that I would want in any team and has turned matches from defeat to wins for us.

So it must be a significant breach of contract for the club to jeopardise such a talent.

Sad waste of a career. He'll be back for another club. I think Warnock will be on the blower (no pun intended) to his agent early doors tomorrow

no doubt quite a few managers will. but to what end ? money is short and he might not be available for ?

Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:11 pm

skidemin wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Don’t they publish the names of people who have been to court weekly ? Not sure if it’s true just what I heard before.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:54 pm

rhyswales wrote:
skidemin wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Don’t they publish the names of people who have been to court weekly ? Not sure if it’s true just what I heard before.

yes,, but it could be any court...even abroad ?

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:19 pm

Beginning to think this incident has jail time associated to it

WE WILL MISS YOU FELLOW BLUEBIRD

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:44 pm

Whatever happens with Mendez-Laing from now on I would like to say thanks for the time he has given this club, with bags of wonderful goals throughout his time with us. Its a great shame as he was a bluebirds favourite and with the club staying quiet for a while I am going to miss the speedy winger. :ayatollah:

Of course us fans will be the last to know anything on this situation.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:03 am

maccydee wrote:Maybe he robbed a fruit machine?

Been waiting for this :old: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note, isn't it nice not to have sensitive information leaked from inside the club like it used to.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:11 am

JulesK wrote:
maccydee wrote:Maybe he robbed a fruit machine?

Been waiting for this :old: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note, isn't it nice not to have sensitive information leaked from inside the club like it used to.

It is

Re: WE WILL MISS YOU FELLOW BLUEBIRD

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:43 am

Wait and see what he been up to first, for no matter what he has done for the club in playing terms IF the rumours of drug dealing are true then the club should remove any mention of him.

Coincidentally, this post if right by the post of a true bluebird Tony Villiers RIP :bluebird:

And before the old " he who casts the first stone " turns up there is a huge difference between alleged class A dealing and robbing a fruit machine or pranging your car down the bay and trying to run away . ( Both of which are wrong )

Re: WE WILL MISS YOU FELLOW BLUEBIRD

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:05 am

Sam ReaN wrote:Whatever happens with Mendez-Laing from now on I would like to say thanks for the time he has given this club, with bags of wonderful goals throughout his time with us. Its a great shame as he was a bluebirds favourite and with the club staying quiet for a while I am going to miss the speedy winger. :ayatollah:

Of course us fans will be the last to know anything on this situation.

Well this morning from 6am to 8am not a mention on bbc news so perhaps everyone is in dark until something official happens?

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:51 am

If he had been arrested, charged, and been in court, surely it would have been picked up by a paper, any paper. as we have seen in the past. Similarly, id be surprised if a player was sacked before being found guilty of a crime (correct me if im wrong, but i dont think Adam Johnson was sacked until found guilty? and ched evans?)

Wait and see i guess, it will all come out eventually.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:53 am

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing has released the following statement:

"Following on from the announcement that I have left Cardiff City FC, I would like to place on record my thanks to the fans for the support they have shown me over the past three years.

"I will be making no further comment at this time."

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:27 am

paulh_85 wrote:If he had been arrested, charged, and been in court, surely it would have been picked up by a paper, any paper. as we have seen in the past. Similarly, id be surprised if a player was sacked before being found guilty of a crime (correct me if im wrong, but i dont think Adam Johnson was sacked until found guilty? and ched evans?)

thats my take on it.... there was the Derby drink drive incident and more recently that fella fighting coppers in Greece because random Albanians poisoned his sister :? generally whatever they do clubs stick with them , at least until the case is resolved.. bizarre.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:36 am

skidemin wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:If he had been arrested, charged, and been in court, surely it would have been picked up by a paper, any paper. as we have seen in the past. Similarly, id be surprised if a player was sacked before being found guilty of a crime (correct me if im wrong, but i dont think Adam Johnson was sacked until found guilty? and ched evans?)

thats my take on it.... there was the Derby drink drive incident and more recently that fella fighting coppers in Greece because random Albanians poisoned his sister :? generally whatever they do clubs stick with them , at least until the case is resolved.. bizarre.

yeah i didnt like the Derby incident myself, because they stuck by the two of the assets that were worth money and sacked the injured 33 year old club captain.

I hope when this all comes out in the wash that the club were justified in doing what theyve done here.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:47 am

paulh_85 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

yeah i didnt like the Derby incident myself, because they stuck by the two of the assets that were worth money and sacked the injured 33 year old club captain.

I hope when this all comes out in the wash that the club were justified in doing what theyve done here.

There was a good reason for that.

The two players they stuck with could play again soon. The player they sacked couldn’t. In his contract it stated that if injured from his own actions that were basically stupid (like getting in a drunk drivers car) they had every right to sack him. Notice news of his appeal went quiet. I think Derby were generous offering him reduced terms if I’m honest.

He got in that car when the driver was drunk. He got injured and was out ages. Why should derby pay him for his foolishness?

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:07 pm

maccydee wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

The two players they stuck with could play again soon. The player they sacked couldn’t. In his contract it stated that if injured from his own actions that were basically stupid (like getting in a drunk drivers car) they had every right to sack him. Notice news of his appeal went quiet. I think Derby were generous offering him reduced terms if I’m honest.

He got in that car when the driver was drunk. He got injured and was out ages. Why should derby pay him for his foolishness?

its the disparity of the treatment... it wasnt the one that did the most wrong. .but the one that was worth least that got the worse out of it... makes business sense but morally wrong surely ?

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:09 pm

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

its the disparity of the treatment... it wasnt the one that did the most wrong. .but the one that was worth least that got the worse out of it... makes business sense but morally wrong surely ?

Nah I don’t think so. It was based on him not being able to play for over a year. Why should Derby pay his wages when he got in a car driven by drunk drivers, crashed and then he was injured unable to play. It wasn’t based on the crime.

He was in breach of contract.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:16 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Nah I don’t think so. It was based on him not being able to play for over a year. Why should Derby pay his wages when he got in a car driven by drunk drivers, crashed and then he was injured unable to play. It wasn’t based on the crime.

He was in breach of contract.

And in breach of his own moral compass, Neil :thumbup: