Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Advice needed....

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:25 pm

A friend and I are looking to move to Cardiff and were looking at something close to the centre. So we're looking for something by Canton/Riverside etc. Our budget is £600 and are looking for 2 bed place. I'm having a viewing later in Tudor Road. I have heard it used to be rough. Hookers etc. But apparantly it's not so bad now. I have been warned there are lots of ethnics down there, but personally that really doesn't bother me. I'm not one of these people who feels nervous if someone walking behind me is not white. Im not that narrow minded.

So I was just after advice as to what the area is like? Would my car be relatively safe etc? Obviously moving to the capital from a small Valley village will be a bit of a culture shock, but is there anywhere I should avoid?

Thanks guys :ayatollah:

Re: Advice needed....

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Anyone?! :shock:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:18 pm

In all honesty I wouldnt like my daughter to be living in the Tudor Road area, I would look closer to Canton if I were you. There is no guarantee's that your car would be safe anywhere but Riverside is a high risk, of course there are decent people there but like I said I would not recommend it for 2 young girls to live. Where ever you decide to move to Cardiff will be a culture shock for you, valleys life is precious. Have you thought about maybe Taffs Well, Nantgarw and other Villages outskirts of Cardiff, Im assuming its for work purposes..........?

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Hmm. Not the response I was expecting! :lol: Yes we are both working in the City centre. Don't fancy Roath/Cathays as its more of a student area. Have to keep looking I guess! :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:32 pm

Merthyr is nice :D

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:35 pm

I got a mate in work who just moved into prospect place down grangetown he pays £650 a month for a nice two bed apartment. Might be worth having a look down there. He has free use of the gym on site to.

As for Tudor Rd I wouldn't want to live there you might have ok neighbours but it's the idiots who walk past there on there way home from town. Plus in the football season you'll have a lot of these football fans walking past to and from games and I hear they're a right rough lot!

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Splottoman wrote:I got a mate in work who just moved into prospect place down grangetown he pays £650 a month for a nice two bed apartment. Might be worth having a look down there. He has free use of the gym on site to.

As for Tudor Rd I wouldn't want to live there you might have ok neighbours but it's the idiots who walk past there on there way home from town. Plus in the football season you'll have a lot of these football fans walking past to and from games and I hear they're a right rough lot!

Aye. I know what you mean. I hate football fans! :lol: I have heared about prospect place but £600 a month is pushing the budget so its the most we can go. And Fish, stop lying or your tongue will go black :lol:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:07 pm

What you got to factor in as well is the other bills. The only extra bills he pays are electricity and the dreaded council tax. Plus do either of you have a gym membership cos you'd save on that cos you have a free gym on site. My mate has told me that there are places down Dumfries place going for £600 and also Celestia down the bay. I suppose it depends on where you work and how you're gonna get around buses or car or walk? Any way enough of my crap good luck in the flat hunting!

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:13 pm

You could get an apartment down the bay for that, and what a place to live, don't be afraid to negotiate, you are in a strong position because of the state of the market.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:18 pm

I would definitely avoid Tudor Road if I were you. (I wouldn't walk down there at night!)

Like some of the others have suggested, prospect place has some lovely apartments, it's a bit further out of town, but is still walking distance. The buses are good too from there. Some of the apartments in the bay itself have come down in price, so you could get somewhere really nice for £600.

Or I'd look closer to Canton, rather than Riverside.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Don't move to places such as Tremorfa, Trowbridge, Llanedyrn, or Riverside/Grangetown.

Trust me, they're worse than they used to be, and they used to be pretty bad.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:01 pm

PhatFrog wrote:Hmm. Not the response I was expecting! :lol: Yes we are both working in the City centre. Don't fancy Roath/Cathays as its more of a student area. Have to keep looking I guess! :ayatollah:

We could lie to you and tell you its a wonderful place to live, but it aint :lol: At the end of the day its your safety that matters, Gwyn has a very good point about the Bay and Id say if you put your negotiating head on you would get a 2bed apartment for £600 easy, tell them you have £500 to play with as a starting point.

Good luck on your quest :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Just popped into work and they are all saying the exact same thing as you guys :lol: Well I'll go and view this place later anyway. A lot of guys reckon the Bay is better and its about 20mins walk from the centre. I'll let you know how I get on!

So much stress! Where to even start! :lol:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Is Tudor Road the same as Tudor Street? If so, I'd avoid like the plague.

Roath may be a bit studenty, but still worth a look.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Get down the bay. Plenty of properties for rent and good transport. You've even got the river taxi that stops in town. Good bars and cafe's what more do you want????? If rental is high negotiate with them better £600 than nothing me thinks

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:56 pm

Move to the bay! I can just imagine the warming party.

Me and Baz on the balcony, one being travel sick and the other fishing, Saddles kicking off because ITV just advertised an English game, Chippy smashing things up with a cricket ball, Milly singing Newport songs, Annis couldn't make it as he has gone on holiday, Carl playing Call of Duty with Feeney from Oldham, Rob threatening people with his be be gun.

Sorry if I missed you out but my fingers are aching

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:09 pm

STAY out of riverside - 2 youngsters together not safe!

Try getting something more in Canton as thats easy to walk to town from and only takes 10/15 mins

USE this site - any advice just PM me

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... C67810295B

DO NOT rush into anything also if u find something u like you can ring the LOCAL police stations for advice of crime etc

:ayatollah:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Vic park is a little bit of a longer walk but a lovely area

1st property that comes up

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... 75757.html

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:16 pm

PhatFrog wrote:A friend and I are looking to move to Cardiff and were looking at something close to the centre. So we're looking for something by Canton/Riverside etc. Our budget is £600 and are looking for 2 bed place. I'm having a viewing later in Tudor Road. I have heard it used to be rough. Hookers etc. But apparantly it's not so bad now. I have been warned there are lots of ethnics down there, but personally that really doesn't bother me. I'm not one of these people who feels nervous if someone walking behind me is not white. Im not that narrow minded.

So I was just after advice as to what the area is like? Would my car be relatively safe etc? Obviously moving to the capital from a small Valley village will be a bit of a culture shock, but is there anywhere I should avoid?

Thanks guys :ayatollah:

Go for it!.....It's full of alcoholic huns ........you'll be just grand there! :lol:

Seriously? ............ don't even bother viewing it! :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:17 pm

Billy Hunt. wrote:Move to the bay! I can just imagine the warming party.

Me and Baz on the balcony, one being travel sick and the other fishing, Saddles kicking off because ITV just advertised an English game, Chippy smashing things up with a cricket ball, Milly singing Newport songs, Annis couldn't make it as he has gone on holiday, Carl playing Call of Duty with Feeney from Oldham, Rob threatening people with his be be gun.

Sorry if I missed you out but my fingers are aching

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Do not go near Riverside its a jungle down there. Its not safe for 2 young girls believe me, and god help your car.

Look at areas of Cardiff that are on rail and bus routes.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Jez wrote:Vic park is a little bit of a longer walk but a lovely area

1st property that comes up

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... 75757.html

There we are, spot on :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:02 pm

I drive through riverside to pick the wife up from work at times, and it looks rough in the day never mind the night!! I would seriously think i was driving in a totally different country to wales when I am going through here, the wife always locks her doors to!! :shock:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:39 pm

Ok. Just got back. I didn't think the area was THAT bad (I am from the Valleys! :lol:.)

However, the entrance was not on the main road, but via a back street. As you can imagine, not ideal for 2 young ladies walking home. I won't tell you about the flat, but it was big and ideal for students. Thanks for all the advice, I'll look into the bay and the links provided! Thanks guys!

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:05 am

Billy Hunt. wrote:Merthyr is nice :D

God's country is not quite the centre of Cardiff is it?? Mind you, it was once recognised as the industrial capitol of the world!!

You girls could try the Richmond Road/Gordon Road area of Roath. Admittedly many students but everything you want on your doorstep, including work and a social life in town....