Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Talk is that there is a meeting this afternoon At CCFC

Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:34 am

What Thomasblue has written below is what I’ve heard as well.

I am with Thomas on this players are all clubs need to start taking pay cuts, they are way over paid anyway and if they want to help keep professional clubs going they need to look at themselves.

I will say this though in my opinion City in some areas behind the scenes need to trim back.

Postby thomasblue » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:24 am

Talk is that there is a meeting this afternoon for staff at the club and a lot will be let go and others asked to take voluntary redundancy.

Expected I suppose as no fans allowed in the stadium and are only watching on TV

Wrong given the money some of the players are on and transfer fees being paid.

Simple maths shows if every player in the 25 man squad took £500 a week pay cut from the thousands they earn every week we would save £50k in wages a month

That would save a minimum of 25 full time jobs on employees earning 2k a month

In reality most earn a lot less than that so it would probably save 35/40 full time jobs

Given most earn 10k plus it is a small price to pay temporarily until fans are let back in the grounds.

Re: Talk is that there is a meeting this afternoon At CCFC

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:55 am

Forever Blue wrote:What Thomasblue has written below is what I’ve heard as well.

I am with Thomas on this players are all clubs need to start taking pay cuts, they are way over paid anyway and if they want to help keep professional clubs going they need to look at themselves.

I will say this though in my opinion City in some areas behind the scenes need to trim back.

Postby thomasblue » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:24 am

Talk is that there is a meeting this afternoon for staff at the club and a lot will be let go and others asked to take voluntary redundancy.

Expected I suppose as no fans allowed in the stadium and are only watching on TV

Wrong given the money some of the players are on and transfer fees being paid.

Only to be expected with no crowds in the grounds etc

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:03 am

I completely understand that financially clubs have to cut their cloth.

Short term surely the high earners could help out by taking a wage cut?

Redundancies awful but seems inevitable. If and when revenue steams pick up hopefully jobs return.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 am

I was on a project once that got into financial difficulty. The Program Manager spoke to everyone who was on a contract , told us the situation and explained if everyone took a 15% cut (in our well paid rates) - then we could finish the project and would obviously secure our pay for the next 12 months , when the contract was due to complete. Anyone that didnt want to take the hair cut would not have their contract renewed (so no contract was actually terminated - just not renewed)

We worked in out that - it is better to have 12 wage days at 85% rather than 3 full wage days and then nothing.

We all need to cut the cloth for the next 12-24 months. The one fly in the ointment is the PFA. They would rather see a club go to the wall than their members take a pay cut.

Im hoping that all the players will do the right thing. Most of the hospitality staff should be part time anyway. Other staff at the club could either work reduced hours / job share etc that would enable to try and get some extra work elsewhere.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:41 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:I was on a project once that got into financial difficulty. The Program Manager spoke to everyone who was on a contract , told us the situation and explained if everyone took a 15% cut (in our well paid rates) - then we could finish the project and would obviously secure our pay for the next 12 months , when the contract was due to complete. Anyone that didnt want to take the hair cut would not have their contract renewed (so no contract was actually terminated - just not renewed)

We worked in out that - it is better to have 12 wage days at 85% rather than 3 full wage days and then nothing.

We all need to cut the cloth for the next 12-24 months. The one fly in the ointment is the PFA. They would rather see a club go to the wall than their members take a pay cut.

Im hoping that all the players will do the right thing. Most of the hospitality staff should be part time anyway. Other staff at the club could either work reduced hours / job share etc that would enable to try and get some extra work elsewhere.

There is something like 200 non playing staff at city in some capacity unless players take a cut a lot are going to lose jobs because listening to welsh health bloke this morning no possibility of fans at ccs this year! Well certainly not enough to be viable for club.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:56 am

Shame the players have not stepped up and taken a paycut, deferral helps but a small cut surely is appropriatte.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:06 am

No need to bang the drum on this one. Words fail me!!

We are obviously not in all this together.

Wake up football fans around all clubs and corporations businesses.

https://twitter.com/pttrn_ntgrty/status ... 56224?s=09

Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:24 am

Hopefully common sense will prevail

Obviously at present certain members of staff (hospitality, ticket office, stewards) etc are just not needed. Unfortunately you can’t expect the club to keep paying out these wages indefinitely

Hopefully, the players and managers will do the decent thing and take temporary pay cuts so that everyone else can keep their jobs probably on reduced pay or part time working. That way at least nobody will actually be made redundant

If the players refuse to do this, they are letting the club down

Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:41 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Hopefully common sense will prevail

Obviously at present certain members of staff (hospitality, ticket office, stewards) etc are just not needed. Unfortunately you can’t expect the club to keep paying out these wages indefinitely

Hopefully, the players and managers will do the decent thing and take temporary pay cuts so that everyone else can keep their jobs probably on reduced pay or part time working. That way at least nobody will actually be made redundant

:thumbright:

Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:48 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Hopefully common sense will prevail

which players....the top earners , or all or is there a cut off point... and will it be the ones with the security of years left on their contracts or will it include the ones with a few months left. .. some are looking at a pay reduction in 10 months whether they stay or go.. and some of the young ones will not get another pro contract anywhere.. ideal world where all players earn the same and all have lengthy contracts yes.. but its really not as simple as that..
if they come up with some offer its great for the club.. but getting god knows how many to agree on something that effects each one differently...massively so in some cases..im not sure how that happens...

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:12 pm

I believed that the players had already agreed to a pay cut !!!
So. 1, This story is yet another anti club post or
2 , info that iirc was on here was wrong in the first place.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:16 pm

fred keenor wrote:Shame the players have not stepped up and taken a paycut, deferral helps but a small cut surely is appropriatte.

Arsenal players did it on premice that no staff cuts! That lasted weeks before club reneged on players agreement and made staff redundant..... so not sure players have confidence in things.... plus pfa apposed to cuts just pay to be deferred..

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:19 pm

JulesK wrote:I believed that the players had already agreed to a pay cut !!!

No the players took a reduced pay deferral Harris though has taken a pay cut :thumbup:

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:19 pm

they accepted a deferral not a wage cut.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:42 pm

If this is true I wonder if their is any link between proposed pay cut rumours and that useless non-existent performance vs. Northampton?

If so we will struggle this season if the squad goes into a collective sulk.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:44 pm

Igovernor wrote:

No the players took a reduced pay deferral Harris though has taken a pay cut :thumbup:

Cheers Gov :thumbup:

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:02 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:If this is true I wonder if their is any link between proposed pay cut rumours and that useless non-existent performance vs. Northampton?

If so we will struggle this season if the squad goes into a collective sulk.

the club cannot just impose a wage cut...

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:07 pm

skidemin wrote:

Spot on.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:09 pm

Igovernor wrote:

Spot on Roger.

But in my opinion players will be getting less wages at this rate in the future when their contracts run out in the leagues outside Prem.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:11 pm

Even if the playing staff take a pay cut to enable other staff to remain at work, wouldn't this mean the same amount of money being spent?

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:30 pm

The facts are why would you employ staff when they are not doing anything? Just seems like a waste of money ,the stadium is empty ,the hospitality isn't being used, its business sense to cut your costs and budget

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:31 pm

No fans means there is nothing for a lot of people to do, never mind no money coming in. We don’t want to pay people for nothing.

It’s tough, but with people being made redundant all over the country there is no way that football can consider itself a special case. You can’t run a successful business on sentiment.

For many years people have moaned about financial mismanagement at the club. This is financial prudence and people aren’t happy with this either. You can’t have it both ways.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:43 pm

wez1927 wrote:The facts are why would you employ staff when they are not doing anything? Just seems like a waste of money ,the stadium is empty ,the hospitality isn't being used, its business sense to cut your costs and budget

Wez, 100% I agree with you on this :thumbright:

Hospitality, 99% of staff are only employed on match days anyway .

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:The facts are why would you employ staff when they are not doing anything? Just seems like a waste of money ,the stadium is empty ,the hospitality isn't being used, its business sense to cut your costs and budget

Wez, 100% I agree with you on this :thumbright:

Hospitality, 99% of staff are only employed on match days anyway .

No tickets yet so no need of staff there and tbh the club shop shouldn't need many either can run a skeleton crew until Xmas time

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:12 pm

At the moment it’s what the club need to do. Whether people thinks it’s fair or not doesn’t really matter, from a business point of view it makes sense. If the players were to take an extra pay cut as they have already agreed to one, is it really fair for their wage cut to pay for someone to take a wage whilst not doing any work. The people who will be laid off will be people who are not currently doing their job I’d imagine. Would anyone on here be happy to take a pay cut to pay for someone else who won’t be earning it?

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:32 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:At the moment it’s what the club need to do. Whether people thinks it’s fair or not doesn’t really matter, from a business point of view it makes sense. If the players were to take an extra pay cut as they have already agreed to one, is it really fair for their wage cut to pay for someone to take a wage whilst not doing any work. The people who will be laid off will be people who are not currently doing their job I’d imagine. Would anyone on here be happy to take a pay cut to pay for someone else who won’t be earning it?

100% spot on

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Spot on.

Asked a genuine question and got a correct polite answer SPOT ON :roll:

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:19 pm

JulesK wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Spot on.

Asked a genuine question and got a correct polite answer SPOT ON :roll:

:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

no the players havent....no its not an anti club thread... and no there was not a thread claiming otherwise.....better ?

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:49 pm

Why are hospitality / stewards classed as employees ? It is temporary casual work - required maybe once every 2 weeks - other than cup games or concerts. A steward at the club should class that work as full time income.

Fair enough if you work on booking events / marketing / advertising / admin etc.

The events industry as a whole is shafted at the moment. There is no point whatsoever in employing someone to do a job that does not or can not be performed - that is best left to the Council - who seems to give a job to one person to dig up holes and employ another person to fill it back in again.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:50 pm

I agree that the players and high earners need to take a cut etc but the issue is that if all the clubs in the championship don’t stick together then players will run down their contracts on the current money knowing they will get a deal elsewhere when they leave....And lots of players in the squads won’t want to take a cut and will push the PFA all the way to refuse any cuts